250 X-flow 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 250 X-flow
Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XW Falcon

WA, Australia

Well i might be able to get my hands a recently rebuilt XC iron head 250. its back to stock but id like to warm it up abit. Im thinking 200 rods, has anyone had any experience with this? then id just do the usual acl pistons , a cam, head work,exhaust, and carb/manifold. do you think this will make 200+hp, or am i dreaming. Anyone with an 250, please show me your setup. Cheers guys

1970 XW - Soon to be rebuilt

Post subject: Re: 250 X-flow
Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

XW '70 wrote:
Well i might be able to get my hands a recently rebuilt XC iron head 250. its back to stock but id like to warm it up abit. Im thinking 200 rods, has anyone had any experience with this? then id just do the usual acl pistons , a cam, head work,exhaust, and carb/manifold. do you think this will make 200+hp, or am i dreaming. Anyone with an 250, please show me your setup. Cheers guys

Yep, it can be done. A trick they use to do years ago was to machine the headgasket face on a very slight angle, to improve the squish zone.
A decent cam, roller rockers, port & polish, 10:1 comp, 600cfm Holley, MSD ignition, regraphed dizzy, decent airfilter setup, and 200+ hp is yours. Don't forget a full balance, Hi-vol oil pump, and run a 15w40 to 15w60 engine oil.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:34 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

600 cfm :shock: . i was thinking somthing like a 465 or a 500. oh well, maybe i can live with out that little bit of extra power as id probly be using it as a daily driver .Also 4 barrel or 2 barrel?

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

A mate in QLD had a very clean worked and torquey XF with a 250 x flo in it.

ACL Premium pistons in the bottom end
Redline manifold off the head, originally a Holley 600 4brl which was good for top end but a pig down low.. enter the Holley 465 4brl and it was awesome all round. It had a CAMTech cam from the USA too.. unsure of specs. Was good for up to 6k RPM.

Pacemaker's and single muffler 2.5" zorst. Was such a sweet car, sky blue and sounded tuff.

I'll see if I can find the full recipie off him.

I'm pretty sure it was good for 195hp at the wheels which was well over 200hp engine. Best run was 15.24 at Willowbank, changing gears was the let down for him, something was up with the clutch I think. Still it was mad fun on the street.

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC GXL

WA, Australia

If it has to be a six, dont muck about with the iron head. Put an alloy head on it and run an XE-F injection manifold and straight gas.The investment will be the same as modifying pig iron bob, and it`ll go,idle and start cold. Much better. Unless ur old skool. 8-) Nuthin wrong with that either.

XC GXL 5.8: 14.1 @ 99MPH. Thank you to Jimbos alchoholic uncle for the short motor. It goes alright now mate.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

yeah i was kinda going with the old flavour, was gonna back it with a top loader 8-) . if anyone has any ideas, please tell cause im just thinking atm. cheers for your help guys

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

XW '70 wrote:
600 cfm :shock: . i was thinking somthing like a 465 or a 500. oh well, maybe i can live with out that little bit of extra power as id probly be using it as a daily driver .Also 4 barrel or 2 barrel?

The 600 worked very well. I modified it a fair bit. Its a vac sec. No flat spot, had a 4sp single rail, 2.92 LSD, and would light up a pair of 265/70 x 15's up to 3rd gear. Even out did a BA XR8, and he couldn't believe it till he looked under the bonnet and saw a Xflow six.

The guy that owns it has since sold it and last I heard was looking at building a hotrod.

Attachments:
Natan's XF ute 001.jpg
Natan's XF ute 001.jpg [ 336.38 KiB | Viewed 2709 times ]
Natan's XF ute 007.jpg
Natan's XF ute 007.jpg [ 375.84 KiB | Viewed 2701 times ]
Natan's XF ute 010.jpg
Natan's XF ute 010.jpg [ 448.94 KiB | Viewed 2676 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

if i had a dollar for every time you posted those photos, i'd be rich.

at least this time, it's actualy got something to do with the original post

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:39 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

wow, what kind of mods did you do to the carb?

Post subject: Re: 250 X-flow
Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

XW '70 wrote:

There were two differenet heads on the xc 8.5 and 9.5 comp which head is the motor running as both heads were cast iron.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Unless you are planning on running 230hp at the tyres you wont need a 600 holley,
I used to own an xd that ran a 250 x flow cast iron head,fully ported,bigger valves,machined for xf stem seals,mega tork springs, crow supercharger camshaft(forgot the number),jp adjustable timing gears and chain,Acl duralite flattops 20", acl duraglide bearings,stock crank and rods.Cain 4 barrel manifold,holley street avenger 465,ramflo aircleaner,electronic ignition,bosch leads.And with a single wheeler 3.55 and a stock auto with no stall it ran a 15.0 at 93mph.It used to bog down off the line but once the cam kicked in at around 3000 it used to spin the single wheeler till it chirped 3rd.
I probably could have made more hp through a manual and gone faster but i liked the auto.
Also i could have made more power if i had spent my money getting an xf carby head ported ,but it also used to get hot from me caining it and never did a headgasket once with the cast iron head.
It was dynoed at 197hp at the tyres so yes you can easily make 200 hp from a 250.Id say mine would have been closer to 240 hp at the motor.
So yeah ill stop dribbling s**t now and just say the 465 was even too big when i made 197 hp, i would have gone for a 390 four barrel if i could do it again.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

There is s guy in perth that runs 13.6 in an xe 250 x flow and that car runs a 600 or 650 holley.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Farrrr out, 13.6. thats quick for a six. Did abit of reseach and found out what i want. ACL pistons, bearings, std rods and crank (balanced), 465 holley on a redline manifold, ported head. Im abit lost on valvetrain tho. Depending on how wild the cam is ill change the valve springs, or should i just do it anyway? Also what cam does anyone recomend? and are roller rockers worth it? cheers for your help so far

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I forgot to say that my 250 also had street terra roller rockers(non adjustable).
In regards to the valve train i would get new pushrods(just stockers will do fine)New lifters, anti pump up lifters will be needed if going over 5500 rpm.Heavy duty springs and i would recommend roller rockers for reliabilty on a modded 250, if the cam is big then you may need adjustable roller rockers but i had no problems with the cam i had running the non adjustables.
From the work that you say will be done to the motor i would go with the exact same cam i used which is the the cam that crow recommends for supercharged cars.I think the working rev range was 2700 -5500 and valve lift was about .528" inlet and .545 exhaust or something close.It worked from 3000 rpm until about 5500.With a manual box this cam would be awesome and would easily make between 195 to about 205 hp at the tyres.
For machine work i would recommend m and d automotive in carlisle, they are the guys who check the motors for legality in speedway.They have been building 250,s and racing them for years and they know their stuff.
Get the dizzy professionally regraphed to suit the cam specs also

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I got real sick of people asking me if my xd was a v8, hehe it might have been the high comp and lumpy idle.
Just another thing now i remember, dont get flat top pistons get the acl ones that have the in between dish(half way between stock and flat top)They are the pistons that the 13.6 xe guy runs> he said to me his car has never pinged.Where as my 250 used to ping real bad in summer because the comp was too high(250 psi cold) with the flat tops.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next