Fordmods Logo

2nd hand headers for sale? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: 2nd hand headers for sale?
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:01 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1994 falcon

New Zealand

hey guys looking at getting some pacemaker 4499 or 4480 for my ED falcon, i live in NZ and cant find any 2nd hand ones on trademe? wondering if anyones looking at selling some or else il just buy new, cheers

RIP XS7261

Post subject: Re: 2nd hand headers for sale?
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:33 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Batmobile

New Zealand

Macs Mufflers in Tauranga can get Pacemakers in, most of the places like pitstop will sell you cobys.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1994 falcon

New Zealand

ok thanks yeah i got offered cobys from pit stop but not keen, r they not as good quality as pace makers?

RIP XS7261

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Cobys are fine. The design is basically identical to Pacey 4499s, except the secondaries are longer, which would tend to help bottom end. I have heard that Torque Performance dyno-tested a wide range of headers available for the Ford six cylinder years ago, and determined Cobys to be the best performing (on what basis, I don't know). I have them on both my XR6s (EF and AU) and love the performance and sound.

The long secondaries means the Cobys bolt up directly to the exhaust flange ahead of the first muffler/reso, eliminating the cat completely. It also means you can do the swap at home without welding and without an exhaust shop - a straight bolt-in.

I bought a second hand set (needed a repaint) on Trademe in December for about $150 for my AU XR6 VCT auto. I did before and after 0-100kmh runs (recorded on video for accuracy) using identical method and the same place, and it took almost a whole second off (0.9 to be exact). The only difference (besides the headers) was the before run was with a near empty tank and the after run was with a full tank, so the car was heavier for the after run which would have slowed it down fractionally. The factory cat was working fine before, but it would have been a restriction that is now gone, so that is definitely part of the gain. The sound is deeper, with a slight burble, and even sounds a little "cammy". It's slightly louder at idle, but not enough to annoy anyone, quiet at cruise, and no drone whatsoever. Go for Coby - you won't regret it.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:07 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Batmobile

New Zealand

Thanks for that, it's good to hear good things about Coby. I always stayed away. Not because I had heard anything bad but because I hadn't heard anything at all.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

www.partsco.com have Cobys for $355 painted (F19) or $500 chromed (F19CP). I bought the chromed ones from them about 5 years ago and they still look great in the engine bay (just bluish heat-discolouring, as you would expect). Where the long secondaries go under the car, the chrome has stone-chipped off and gone rusty - but you can only see it from under the car. The paint they use on the F19 is not proper high-temp header paint, so will burn off and leave basically a rust finish.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

partsco can also do a bolt on pipe to eliminate cat, for pacemakers.
You have never heard of coby? it's a big brand here,great products, has been around for many years.
for 2nd hand, any wreakers should have extractors

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]