Fordmods Logo

3.9 and 4.0 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: 3.9 and 4.0
Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:16 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, I've got an early E series Falcon on its way after some stuff is sorted out on the sellers end, its either an EA, EB or ED. Anyways, I'm curious as to if I end up with one with a 3.9L, is there much difference between that and the 4.0 when it comes to hotting it up? Is everything still available to me like camshafts, etc?

Also with Camshafts, what is there available which offers something from idle to say 4500/5000 RPM? Would they be better than the stock one?

Thanks much.

Post subject: Re: 3.9 and 4.0
Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:30 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the 3.9 and 4.0 are pretty much the same, cams from ea-early el will fit straight in.
the bottom ends are pretty much the same from 3.9-4.0l except in reality the 4.0 is only 40cc larger in capacity..
over the years the 4.0 has some improvements like higher compression and better balancing but its all based around the 3.9, as in what fits the 4.0 fits the 3.9...

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:09 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ah yes, thanks much.

The car in question has been garaged all its life and has never missed a service, I'm thinking about doing some cam and intake/exhaust mods when it arrives.

I've come up with JMM Race series headers, a high flow 2.5" cat and JMM cat back exhaust, a cam that does somewhere for example, 1500 to 5000 RPM (I don't want to rev high), XH snorkel and EA airbox pipe thingo and J3 addon. Without an ECU tune or J3, what could I expect out of this combo, 120kw at the rears?

Is port and polish worth it on a stock head?

If I decide to go forced induction down the track, would the stock internals be able to hold up under 10psi? If not, would ACL Race series rebuild kit do? Or do I go everything forged?

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NA Fairlane

VIC, Australia

forgive me if i'm wrong, but aren't the 3.9 bores about 60 thou' smaller than the 4L?

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:53 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

RobboXE wrote:
forgive me if i'm wrong, but aren't the 3.9 bores about 60 thou' smaller than the 4L?

close.....4.0l is only 40 thou oversize on a 3.9

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NA Fairlane

VIC, Australia

ahh that's good to know

i just bought a 4l to replace the 3.9 in my LTD, but i'm tearen it down at work so i can easily fix 40 thou ;) haha

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Damoo wrote:
Ah yes, thanks much.

The car in question has been garaged all its life and has never missed a service, I'm thinking about doing some cam and intake/exhaust mods when it arrives.

I've come up with JMM Race series headers, a high flow 2.5" cat and JMM cat back exhaust, a cam that does somewhere for example, 1500 to 5000 RPM (I don't want to rev high), XH snorkel and EA airbox pipe thingo and J3 addon. Without an ECU tune or J3, what could I expect out of this combo, 120kw at the rears?

If I decide to go forced induction down the track, would the stock internals be able to hold up under 10psi? If not, would ACL Race series rebuild kit do? Or do I go everything forged?

How much money you got to throw away??? It ain't cheap, especially if you can't do much yourself.
Just cost up all the stuff you want to do.....maybe get some figures on machine work, or labour costs on bits/work you can't do.....then see if you want to go through with it.
I'm not trying to put you off.....just giving you a heads up.
I'm fortunate that I have the some of the gear, as well as the knowledge to do this stuff.
Now a little brag....I'm making 150rwkw....std cam, std v/springs, std EF injectors, std fuel pump, std f/p reg, std compression, std ECU......have a p&p head, Pacie 4480's, homemade CAT and exhaust, Moristech piggyback, ICE 7amp ignition system, open 3" pod filter with EA flex intake hose.
With this setup.....and a little more aggressive tuning....might only get another 2 to 5kw.
The next step after this is a cam & v/springs, and HLA's (as mine are starting to get noisy).

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:22 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
Damoo wrote:
Ah yes, thanks much.

How much money you got to throw away??? It ain't cheap, especially if you can't do much yourself.
Just cost up all the stuff you want to do.....maybe get some figures on machine work, or labour costs on bits/work you can't do.....then see if you want to go through with it.
I'm not trying to put you off.....just giving you a heads up.
I'm fortunate that I have the some of the gear, as well as the knowledge to do this stuff.
Now a little brag....I'm making 150rwkw....std cam, std v/springs, std EF injectors, std fuel pump, std f/p reg, std compression, std ECU......have a p&p head, Pacie 4480's, homemade CAT and exhaust, Moristech piggyback, ICE 7amp ignition system, open 3" pod filter with EA flex intake hose.
With this setup.....and a little more aggressive tuning....might only get another 2 to 5kw.
The next step after this is a cam & v/springs, and HLA's (as mine are starting to get noisy).

The idea is I want to do as much of it myself as possible, gives me a good opportunity to learn. At this stage the car won't be a daily driver so I can have all the time in the world for it to sit around in the driveway (when it comes, waiting on the seller). Whats the availability regarding forged internals for these engines?

Nothing is "cheap" in this world, it all has its associated costs.

Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1993 ED Falcon GLi

VIC, Australia

i made close to 130rwkw in my auto ED, just with basic mods
only real expensive items were the pacies and the mild cam and tune
if your going with an updated cam its well worth the EL ECU and J3 tune, my car ran like s**t without it

ED 4.0L auto... pacemaker PH4480, Aus Pac Catback exhaust, wade 1636 with j3 tune =130rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]