Fordmods Logo

3.9L/4.0L Inline 6 Modification Guide 

Page 18 of 23 [ 340 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

ACT, Australia

My friend drives a corona, and I've noticed, after only a lukey extractor mod, that he's always about twice as quick off the mark, but lacks in top speed. Perhaps a 3.7 ratio would help just slightly?

Auto '99 AU Fairmont
--------------------------------------
Pacemaker 4499's, Hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback
K & N Filter, NGK Plugs
Lows all 'round, Monroe's in the front, GSR's in the rear
Pioneer H/U
Tickford Bodykit
COMING SOON:
17's
30mm + 22mm adjustable sway bars.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

a 'electric supercharger is s**t' should be sticky'd somewhere as it pops up at least once a week.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: '90 ea 3.9L

NSW, Australia

im doin up a 3.9l ea starting engine first. i was thinking putting in a cam wat do i need to get done in order to do this? or can i run it straight up of the stock parts with a bigger cam?

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

also is it worth dropping a 4L head on my 3.9L ea?

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

jus another thing ppl does anyone no how much it would cost for an AU cinversion???

im just keeping my options open thanks

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Yeah I think you'd be better off dropping in a complete motor rather than just a 4L head.

There's quite a few threads around about motor conversions if you wanna do a search.

AU motor on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AU-FORD-FALCON-M ... dZViewItem

I did the conversion when I had my EB, I would highly recommend it.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

cheers mate!! sounds like the way to go, also i have another ea wagon with a 5 spd can u tell me whether that would go up behind an au engine? its just that at the moment im currently at tafe an i dont have $$$ to spend but want to squeeze as much as into my ea as possible hense a manual a few more horsies an wat no anyways thanks again :)

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:25 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Yeah it's all the same gear.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

awesome awesome thanks for the info i appreciate it!! your a real champ!

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:07 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

depending how much you can get a engine for.
i got mine for $700 no manifold or accesories with 77000 kms.

it depends on how far you want to go?

the cheapest way is to replace the engine and use your manifold and accesories.

if you want to upgrade the manifold and ecu to el aswell. all up it could cost anything up to $2000

this might help.
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=85

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

i got my au motor for 175 from a wrecker in 'none running' condition..

however i got lucky..as when i started to pull the thing apart(its getting a full rebuild) it was clear the engine was VERY new..the head place that was porting it said it was of a brand new motor..bearings were hardly worn, and the cylinders still had the hatching on them..

but i agree, if you head gasket or motor blows on your ea-el, id be buying on of those ready to go au motors for 700+freight.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

well guys as much as id love to throw an AU engine in my ea i dont think i have the money time tools or skills to switch an move stuff around my engine bay i have spoken to a bloke from a wreckers an have decided to go with an el engine its simple and easy and i can use my old parts. correct me if im wrong but wat i got told today that "fitting into a ea-d you require a lot more,you have to run au power steer pump.a/c compressor belt tensioner & belt,modify a/c lines,fit your dissy,either run au inlet manifold using your wiring harness & computer air intake & box or use ea-d intake manifold and make a bracket to bolt to block lowering the compressor (if using au a/c intake & bracket you will have to cutt a section away for dissy adjustment) you will also have to run au fans ,make a pipe reducer from bottom rad hose to waterpump.if your car is a cpi you will have to run your intake manifold." is this correct? and a simple question wats the difference between a standard 6 and an xr6?

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

and wats this about if you install a pod filter to your strait 6 you could lose power? does anyone know wat my chances are of putting the intake outside the engine bay up behind the front bar and infront o the L/H side wheel??

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:49 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

fresh 87' wrote:
well guys as much as id love to throw an AU engine in my ea i dont think i have the money time tools or skills to switch an move stuff around my engine bay i have spoken to a bloke from a wreckers an have decided to go with an el engine its simple and easy and i can use my old parts. correct me if im wrong but wat i got told today that "fitting into a ea-d you require a lot more,you have to run au power steer pump.a/c compressor belt tensioner & belt,modify a/c lines,fit your dissy,either run au inlet manifold using your wiring harness & computer air intake & box or use ea-d intake manifold and make a bracket to bolt to block lowering the compressor (if using au a/c intake & bracket you will have to cutt a section away for dissy adjustment) you will also have to run au fans ,make a pipe reducer from bottom rad hose to waterpump.if your car is a cpi you will have to run your intake manifold." is this correct? and a simple question wats the difference between a standard 6 and an xr6?

thats way over the top..
who ever told you that is on drugs.lol
you can fit all accesories from ea to el with no problems..
to fit au the only thing thats different is the mounting part of the alternator
and the front of the sump. you can fit a dizzy straight into the block on all engines from ea to au with no mods .
if you fit a au engine use all the accesories from el inc power steering pump,water pump,(alternator but need to modify),aircon pump but you will need to change your air con lines if you have a ea..as the pumps are different..

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:33 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

hahahaha yea i thawt that after reading your comment 4 days ago on how u did yours. i had a look at the link on how to install the au engine so by the time i get to getting the engine i will have cert 1 in engineering so i should be able to handle it. do you no about pod filters? ive heard people say that you could a loss in power?? i got the idea off a mate of putting it out side the engine bay infront off the front wheel would it work or is a waste of time?

Sort by  
 Page 18 of 23  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next