Fordmods Logo

3 coil packs, 2 sets of leads, still mis-firing (dual fuel) 

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: 3 coil packs, 2 sets of leads, still mis-firing (dual fuel)
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

you can definately clean them.
maybe give them a clean and put them back in to see if that is indeed whats causing them to start misfiring.

also take the throttle body off and have a look inside the intake manifold, let us know what you see in there also :)

edit - sorry you said they looked like number 2, so they are dry and black?
not wet, gunky and black like covered in oil?

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Futura

VIC, Australia

misk_one wrote:
you can definately clean them.
maybe give them a clean and put them back in to see if that is indeed whats causing them to start misfiring.

also take the throttle body off and have a look inside the intake manifold, let us know what you see in there also :)

edit - sorry you said they looked like number 2, so they are dry and black?
not wet, gunky and black like covered in oil?

yep definately dry and black (number 2), double checked the set that i put in 100km's ago all 6 of them, but its not exactly as in the picture. the nose and electrode aren't black, everything else is.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Futura

VIC, Australia

this is more or less how all the spark plugs look after ~ 200km's of driving.
i'm not sure how much it resembles the picture from the other diagram, but the residue on it is dry and black. sorry about the photo quality, phone camera doesnt do close-up focus.
Attachment:
File comment: spark plug colour
27012010134.jpg
27012010134.jpg [ 151.67 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon GLI Longreach 96

QLD, Australia

New coilpack, new dizzy, new plugs,new gas leads, tune on petrol, got 800klms and engine cut out, all codes checked no faults on codes, compression test, fitted newBP6EY plugs, still won't start, backfiring through air pod cleaner ???
Have now spent $2000.00 on this problem so far and still not running, was running great before trip, out on open road and it just stopped and would not restart.
Coil packs that can handle dual- fuel, any help with this much appreciated. :roll: Moreton :cry:

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:55 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

QLD, Australia

what part of brissy are you in and dont be too pacific.

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

moreton wrote:
New coilpack, new dizzy, new plugs,new gas leads, tune on petrol, got 800klms and engine cut out, all codes checked no faults on codes, compression test, fitted newBP6EY plugs, still won't start, backfiring through air pod cleaner ???
Have now spent $2000.00 on this problem so far and still not running, was running great before trip, out on open road and it just stopped and would not restart.
Coil packs that can handle dual- fuel, any help with this much appreciated. :roll: Moreton :cry:

Back firing thru the filter suggests the timing is way out, has the dizzy moved at all?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:09 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

New battery, new coil pack, new distributor got 800klms and stoped Two mechanics have attended to car, timing is set to no.1, spark is there, compression checked, fuel system checked, injectors / pulse checked, car cranks over, wets plugs but won't fire. Any sugestions??????????? $380 spent now still won't run. Possessed Ford? Moreton :cry:

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

moreton wrote:
New battery, new coil pack, new distributor got 800klms and stoped Two mechanics have attended to car, timing is set to no.1, spark is there, compression checked, fuel system checked, injectors / pulse checked, car cranks over, wets plugs but won't fire. Any sugestions??????????? $380 spent now still won't run. Possessed Ford? Moreton :cry:

So it has spark (when a plug & lead is removed from cyl & earthed you can see a spark jumping the gap?) but it won't fire?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

youd have to assume that the timing is still out...
have you tried playing with the cam sensor thingo a bit?
i know you have said its set to TDC, but i've always had to play with the dizzy even when its set to TDC to get the car to start easily after having timing issues

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:19 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

QLD, Australia

well if the Mechanic cant find the problem only solution now is wind the window down and throw a match inside and run like hell

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

misk_one wrote:
youd have to assume that the timing is still out...
have you tried playing with the cam sensor thingo a bit?
i know you have said its set to TDC, but i've always had to play with the dizzy even when its set to TDC to get the car to start easily after having timing issues

You would know if the timing is out badly. It would be firing way to early or late, resulting in backfiring thru the intake, probably damaged plastics, or thru the exhaust, the engine will sound wrong, and possibly blow up a muffler if it feels like it. IF it's not too far out, it will run, but badly, coughing & spluttering as it does. Rotating the dizzy / cam sensor will either improve or make it worse, giving an idea of what way it needs to be rotated to improve the situation.

I had the timing wrong in my torana years ago, after i had to replace the dizzy, the engine wizzed over a couple of times, then a huge BANG as it tried to fire & ignited all the fuel in the exhaust & muffler. I sent that muffler to hell that day!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Turns out the Timing on the XH 96 Utility is totally controled by ECU, distributor sensor so it looks like I need another ECU for vehicle or a reconditioned ECU, does anyone know of any businesses that do reco ECU for Ford ???? I have not found the matches yet??? Many thanks to you all for the help.
Moreton :wink:

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Hi Guys,
Just got ute back from mechanics, turns out wiring harness was crushed against fire wall and bundle of wires going to and from ecu were all shorting together and sending all the wrong information to all points of the system.
Hit extra large pothole in road about 3 seconds before engine cut out, so after 4 mechanics and 1 auto/electrician she now runs again like a new car.
Turns out not to be possessed, just bad road conditions caused all my greif, should the government be held responsible for my repairs ???????????
Cheers Moreton :)

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU1 VCT & AU2 XL

NSW, Australia

moreton wrote:
Hi Guys,
Just got ute back from mechanics, turns out wiring harness was crushed against fire wall and bundle of wires going to and from ecu were all shorting together and sending all the wrong information to all points of the system.
Hit extra large pothole in road about 3 seconds before engine cut out, so after 4 mechanics and 1 auto/electrician she now runs again like a new car.
Turns out not to be possessed, just bad road conditions caused all my greif, should the government be held responsible for my repairs ???????????
Cheers Moreton :)
Glad to hear it is all sorted. For those having similar undiagnosed problems, the crushed wiring harness might be a good place to start.

PS Send off a letter to council for some laughs. At least it lets them know of the problem. I've heard of cracked / damaged rims being replaced by councils etc.

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Far out, crushed wiring loom. Wouldn't have guessed that one. I better check over my loom, i have intermittent issues when the EB Ghia is cold but warm enough to switch over to LPG, so i'm going to check over the wiring loom at the top of the firewall, where the LPG loom has been spliced into the factory loom, see what's going on there. It's fine when it's at operating temp, and i've looked over & replaced many other things, so time to check over the loom.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next