Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Concorde

ACT, Australia

MYLO_XR6 wrote:
you still havent given a price bro! :x

i haven't had a chance to take to the shop that made it. This was made for me to dyno test it for him.

2nd Place Summernats19 SQ Comp, Street Pro 0-600 Class
STEREO - 128.7db
JVC EXAD DVD and surround sound
3 X 10" Lanzar Dual Voice Coil 6ohm Subs
4 X 6.5" Alpine S-Type 2-way, front and back
JVC 6.6cm Center Speaker
Engine -
2.5" exhaust, SS Inductions CAI, K&N air filter. 132.6rwkw

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Concorde

ACT, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
concorde wrote:
it does make a difference having a larger pipe at lower revs. having a smooth intake with alot less air terbulence creates greater flow through greater air speed.

Actually the smaller pipe has higher airspeeds, which in theory at least should produce more power up to the point that it becomes a restriction.

what you say is correct, providing that the pipe is smaller all the way, having a presure difference through a short restriction does not mean that the air speed stays at the high.

2nd Place Summernats19 SQ Comp, Street Pro 0-600 Class
STEREO - 128.7db
JVC EXAD DVD and surround sound
3 X 10" Lanzar Dual Voice Coil 6ohm Subs
4 X 6.5" Alpine S-Type 2-way, front and back
JVC 6.6cm Center Speaker
Engine -
2.5" exhaust, SS Inductions CAI, K&N air filter. 132.6rwkw

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

jeesus, for 100+ dollars I reckon that has the same motoring advantage as a monster tacko on an auto VL :P

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

concorde wrote:
having a presure difference through a short restriction does not mean that the air speed stays at the high.

yeah it certainly doesnt, and regardless as to how fast the air travels in different intake pipes, it still get sucked through the same size throttle body, bent 90 deg forwards/backwards, then spun through either long or short runners, into the same sized ports where it meets the fuel and goes through the same size valves.

How much of this airspeed can carry through that far?

Would more airspeed create more turbulence in the BBM when it his the wall opposite the TB, and would this result in more or less power?

And if airspeed is so important, why do cars make more power with no intake pipes at all (on dyno's with bonnet open)?

There was a 2kw gain over another 3" pipe - that opens up a lot more questions.

All hard questions to answer. I measure the manifold pressure to work out how restrictive my intake is, and I know there in no drop in pressure until the runners switch to short (3800rpm). I also know that my intake showed no gains on the dyno, so although its much bigger i doubt any more air is being drawn through it. So these dyno's show a 1-2rwkw gain on long runners, then as long as the dyno is accurate this tells me that it must be getting that power though a change in airspeed (since the stock pipe is not a restriction at this rpm). Now the dyno on short runners also shows the same gain, so is that gain from the airspeed change, is it because a restriction has been removed, or is it just maybe that the engines were a different temp on the dyno's or a measurement error?

Im not bagging the results at all, I wish there were more comparisons like it because it gives you plenty to think about.

But as I keep saying - we are talking about 1-2kw here. Its not enough of a gain to say that 3" pipes increase power.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:59 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

For me the dyno chart before and after with a perfect gain right through the range just looks like a change in the correction factor nothing you did with the pipe which would logically to me make a difference in the top end only.

Look at the curves a perfect match? This is pretty hard to do with a mod of any kind.

Seriously the accuracy of a dyno is less then the gains you reckon the pipe makes.

For me this looks like conclusive evidence these pipes don't work.

Either way for a gain of 2 rwkw i could clean the car and gain more acceleration from the weight loss of all the junk thrown out.

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:55 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

If you want to bag Jake for being an unscrupulous dyno operator, call him. He's THE most respected operator in Canberra, and has one of the highest rated Dyno Dynamics rollers in the country. And the first to implement a double retarder - because he works on some of the most powerful cars in the country. Heck, most summernats entries perform final test and tunes on Jakes dyno before horsepower heros.

Having said that Jake himself was expecting a DECLINE in peformance from the pipe, there were NO changes made to the dyno between runs.

As part of the dyno day we held, I'm obtaining ALL of the result sheets, so can post and prove no correction factor changes were made.

But if you don't want a pipe or think it does nothing, good for you - go away. We're only posting results as provided (unedited).

And as a result of those facts I'm booked in on Thursday to get a pipe made up.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

from intake to intake it does but if u check out the inside of the el rubber pipe its pretty smooth n round inside... good for flow from the factory...

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ok so how about i do some testing aswell.

different dyno sure. but base run and the run with the pipe will all be done on the same dyno dynamics with the same correction factors.

we'll see if it makes a difference for me. give me chance to post numbers in my thread aswell.

hell even it makes the same power it will be SHINEY and i've seen people spend more for less

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3