3spd auto NA fairlane Issue 

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: 3spd auto NA fairlane Issue
Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

manual it. Or buy a NC

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

89.SVO wrote:
manual it. Or buy a NC

:D +1.

Depending on what your plans are with it.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:05 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NA / NL fairlane, 08 honda civic

QLD, Australia

again that is extra un necessary expense. also considering i have spent a couple of thousand on restoring this one and would have to start again on another car.

I haven't got a manual licence so if I change it to a manual transmission i would not be able to drive it until i learn the manual and pass another driving test. also the fairlane was never designed to have a manual transmission in it as they are luxury cars so i would think i would have to cut holes in the firewall for the clutch peddle. it would also require a re wire.

I am trying to justify changing to a 4 speed.

What power improvements would i get out of a 4 speed and how much if any fuel saving would i get out of it.

also if there is a clear document on how to do it then i would be happy to proceed.

Otherwise i will just get the 3 speed rebuilt.

Regards

Barry

Question.
What is the meaning of life?
Answer.
The condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Clutch cable hole will be there. The firewall is the same as Falcon. You wouldn't need to rewire. You would just need to connect to the neutral and reverse light switch. It would be heaps easier in a three speeder as the ecu has nothing to do with the gear box.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

So is a Fairmont Ghia. It's a "luxury car". But up until EA. They could be optioned with a manual. Plus my Fairmont Ghia SVO is going manual. Your arguement is invalid :D

Also if you buy a full conversion, no holes have to be cut (lol) and the manual loom plugs into the plug at the firewall, everything will work.

Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NA / NL fairlane, 08 honda civic

QLD, Australia

89.SVO wrote:
So is a Fairmont Ghia. It's a "luxury car". But up until EA. They could be optioned with a manual. Plus my Fairmont Ghia SVO is going manual. Your arguement is invalid :D

Also if you buy a full conversion, no holes have to be cut (lol) and the manual loom plugs into the plug at the firewall, everything will work.

But if I did that I would instantly not be able to drive it, I do not have a manual licence and would likely have to learn to drive a manual for months and then pass a driving test before I would be able to drive one. my licence as a CA class licence so I can only drive automatic cars.

I am not debating it is possible to convert but in the end so is a 4 speed. it would not be practical for me to do so.

I have already had the engine rebuilt the suspension replaced all bushes. tyres are new the disks are new. new brake pads and callipers. the brake lines are new master cylinder is new. new fuel pump and rubber fuel lines have been replaced,. all new bearings. new wind shields whole car resprayed.

Why would I now throw away the car and buy a new one just because the transmission needs to be rebuilt?

Question.
What is the meaning of life?
Answer.
The condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Not being pushy, arguing with you or trying to insult you here at all.

I'm thinking the manual, because it is pretty much a bolt up conversion an it can cost $900-$1100 anyway which is what your looking at for an auto (BtR conversion or simply rebuilt)

HOWEVER.. now you rattled off that list of what you have done, then I'd be strongly trying to keep it all original and rebuild the 3 speed.

Holy s**t it's almost fully restored!!

Also.. What... Thafhukk... Automatic license???? I could never get my head around this idea.. This is a manual, you need to use the clutch, this is an auto, just use one foot... Simple.
And if it is such a big thing anyway, why not learn in a manual, then if you own an auto it dosnt matter, but if you're in an emergency one day... help!! I've smashed my motorbike and my shin is touching my thigh, Baz, can ya drive me to the hospital!!,
Nah mate, sorry, I can't/not allowed to drive a manual.

Lol. Anyway, that's my 5c on that one..

Back to the car though, ok yeah, a 4 speed is "better", but as I said with what you have done already I'd be trying to keep it all original, and just rebuild the box.

Also NAs don't have smart lock.... ARGUMENT SETTLED! lol

I love the Territory...

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

In NSW, when you get your full license, you can drive whatever you like, transmission wise. I thought that would have been the case in all states. If a 14 year old me can learn to manipulate a clutch, anyone can. Not being rude or anything, but learning to drive a manual car is a life skill I believe everyone should possess for the reason Lowlane stated and for certain jobs it is an advantage.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:08 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

looking at whole picture, if a manual is not wanted and the 4 speed auto is in the 2 hard basket, just reco the 3 speed..
if you have spent a huge amount on this car to get it where it is and dont want to get rid of it just yet?, whats another $900 going to matter..

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

looks like it's settle. OP is unco and can't drive manual ( :lol: ) and the 4 speed is in the too hard basket. So waste money on reco'ing a diiiirty 3 speed. :D

P.S: I'm s**t stiring. Don't get s**t

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:11 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

3 speed auto isnt the best thing in the world, but it has obviously kept him happy so far, otherwise he wouldnt have done the car up in the first place..

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
3 speed auto isnt the best thing in the world, but it has obviously kept him happy so far, otherwise he wouldnt have done the car up in the first place..

Yes i thought it was a performance type trans in the PMs to you haha shame i went to bad sad that night knowing its such a crap trans

But i am a tight a** and will keep my 3 speed till it dies till the day it wont let me select ANY gears il let it flare i dont care

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3