4.0lt into a LJ Torana!!!! 

Page 6 of 7 [ 105 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

That's amazing, truly amazing.

How do you find the stock exhaust manifold? Flows well enough into what i imagine to be a relatively open system?

Good work!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

Thats pretty cool mate, excellent work.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:49 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

NSW, Australia

thanks for all the well wishes guys!

Smoke: Yeah for ease of install we ditched the coil packs and fuel injection (also coz we had the 3 x webbers from the old red motor..and they sound so damn cool!) .. my old man made up the inlet manifold and got all the spacing and airflows correct for the tube lengths etc.. and basically it was a case of using the setup the torana originally had but modify it where needed to suit the falcon motor.. The main change was dizzy.. we worked out a old XD points dizzy will fit the E series block as the drive is there for the oil pump and what not so that alone made the whole setup work very factoryish :D

Torana Guy: Yeah the stock manifold was good but those are the only shots i had of the motor.. about 6 months after these were taken we got a set of extractors and modified them to fit.. that said the stock manifold worked a treat had to dramas with it .. the whole exhaust from the manifold might only be 2m long! it bends and comes out under the passanger door... the stock manifold worked good but extractors made a noticable difference.. :D

Heres some shots from yesty.. sorry bout the camera phone quality but shows the new XR6 motor in the engine bay.. since this ive attached the g'box and alternator starter etc... so progress is happening :D

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Boosted ED XR6, EBII Mont Wgn

Power: 252 rwkw

VIC, Australia

nice work man, keep the updates coming!!

[SEXYR-6] ED XR6 T5 Turbo Build
[EBW-347] EB Wagon V8 Stroker Build
FordMods Member #1761

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

damn depending on the specs of your rebuild, cam choice and tuning that thing could be putting out up to 160-170 at the wheels... :shock:

*im not worthy* <bows>

nice tripples, i think that has got most of us spoonting here.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

im thinking with the triple webers on it, more like 180-190. lol

i cant wait to hear this thing start and rev, i'll have to keep the paper towel handy :lol:

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:06 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
damn depending on the specs of your rebuild, cam choice and tuning that thing could be putting out up to 160-170 at the wheels... :shock:

*im not worthy* <bows>

nice tripples, i think that has got most of us spoonting here.

Bottom end is essentially standard but the xr bottom end is pretty good with strong rods big crank and low frictions pistons so that alone will be good..its all been balanced ..rods are polishes and set and the inside of the block is deburred and so is the crank.. majrity of the work has been in the head.. lots of work there...plus we have a great watson cam that we had specially made for the old motor wwe are going to use in this one as well.. should haul...dont worry im spoonting as well..i cant wait to drive her again!! :twisted: im trying to organise a dyno day for it for when its donw would be interesting to see what it gets HP wise

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:09 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

alfy wrote:
im thinking with the triple webers on it, more like 180-190. lol

i cant wait to hear this thing start and rev, i'll have to keep the paper towel handy :lol:

hehe i wish! we'll see what we get out of her... shes a beauty to fire up.. so easy no effort at all! at idle its barely making a sound..get on the loud pedal (2000rpm up..) and she sounds amazing!

dont worry ill have video and incar from the next race meeting up :)

trying to get some older footage as we speak! :D

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:21 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Can you give us a picture of the sump. I take it that the sump has a little bit of height to clear the oil pump.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:55 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

turbotrana wrote:
Can you give us a picture of the sump. I take it that the sump has a little bit of height to clear the oil pump.

yeah ill get you a pic mate... but no it doesnt have any height at all!..infact we have turned the sump around and created a monster sump out of a couple of different ones.. it has a winged/baffled bottom from out old red motor sump.. a TE cortina bowl (rear facing over front facing) and the top lip of the E series falcon sump to utilise the bolt holes etc. The Cortina sump is essentially the same but bolt holes were way different so we cut the lip off the E series sump and welded and braised it all together... and on the side of the wing we have added the dipstick!.. ill try get a pick that shows this tonight :D its a bit of a backyard job but damn it works well!

Oh meant to add..with changing where the sump was we grafted the oil pick up pipe from the TE to the falcon oil pump so now the bottom of the sump at the oil pump end is maybe 2cm under the oil pump but gives the clearance we need :)

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Absolutely awesome work man! awesome conversion that thing will be mental quick! Ive always wanted to put a heavily worked 4L into a vh :D

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Fair enough about the extractors, i take it you have a reasonably smallish size pipe diameter to help with back pressure?

Didn't the Xe carby 6cyl come with an electronic bosch dizzy, like the blue & black holden 6 electric dizzy, with a self contained module? I'm running a Vh electric dizzy re-graphed to suit my turbo'd 173. I would have thought that would be a better option if the racing rules allow it.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I fitted a 350 Holley and an XD dizzy to an EA 3.9 MPFI engine, using a CFI manifold.
I fitted the EA dizzy drive gear to the XD shaft, and redrilled the hole for the pin.
I had to drill and tap holes in the manifold to suit the adapter for the Holley.
I just filled the carby up with fuel to see if it would run, and it did. I did it for the proof of conception of an idea.

Attachments:
IMGP0164_resize.JPG
IMGP0164_resize.JPG [ 102.53 KiB | Viewed 2237 times ]
IMGP0162_resize.JPG
IMGP0162_resize.JPG [ 81.04 KiB | Viewed 2180 times ]
IMGP0160_resize.JPG
IMGP0160_resize.JPG [ 82.43 KiB | Viewed 2181 times ]
IMGP0159_resize.JPG
IMGP0159_resize.JPG [ 78.42 KiB | Viewed 2227 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

eed-250 wrote:
EBXR8380 wrote:
Don't under estimate the torque of the sohc 6 But yes all things being equal a GT3540 or bigger GT45 would haul a**!!! Don't see too many S.R Nissans with much over 500 h.p... 4.0 would do that easy and stay within factory rev range..I'd swap rods and pistons tho to stronger speck..Same as would be done to an SR20.....
Um?? Not tooo sure about the T5 though ??? No power shifting...

Just remember its circuit racing, not drag racing.
4.0ls arent good for it compared to a SR

Because no one has done it!!
I know only too well what an SR20 can do..
In a Trana an RB maybe would be better ??
The costs would be about the same...
A Lexus 4.0 V8 would be lighter and very rev friendly but in both cases the T5 isn't going to handle curcuit work..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Interesting proof of concept, i wonder if a 4lt with a CFI manifold & a holley or a Gas Research carby would be legal in say a late cortina? I'd still want to use an electric dizzy tho, i hate points!

I'm thinking about a project for my best mate, who really wants to get another corty, he had one about 10yrs ago.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 7  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next