Fordmods Logo

4.1L six conrods ? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Skyline

QLD, Australia

If you are going a full engine build whay not just use the superior 4L OHC engine? Wreckers are almost giving them away. I'm talking $100 for an EF to AU motors.

If you want to turbo a ford I6 use and EF motor with a EA head, use standard rods and a race series ACL rebuild kit and pistons. This combo will give you a 8.2 CR (or there abouts). This combo has been proven to 550HP at the wheels.

R31 Skyline
2JZ GTE, stock engine, turbos, auto, and ECU.
12.5 @ 115mph
100% Owner built

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 87 XF Ghia

WA, Australia

The EF/EL motors would of course be my first choice, but the wreckers over here(WA) are still charging 500 -700 for the motor and the same for the gearbox.

I had a mate offer me an engine for 400 but then I need a box.

I got a price on a dellows bell housing to fit it to my BW40 but that was 400 also and then you've still got a BW40 which is probably not very strong ?

Then you've got all the other stuff like engine mounts, gearbox crossmember to buy from an XH ute and the cost goes up from there.

It was all getting a bit more than I want to spend, after all you've still got a motor which has probably got a lot of K's on it and would need rebuilding anyway.

I might just put the turbo on my motor as it is, and rebuild it later or go for an OHC then. Its running straight gas so I should be ok with the 8.7:1 comp ratio.

Mike

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:14 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

mikejh wrote:
Hey Disco Frank, were talking about 4.1L crossflow here.

My rev limit is what ever I want it to be, cause I designed the computer :-)

But I wouldn't go over 5500, just seems cruel, crossflows sound busy at high revs, not sweet like an RB26.

Mike
ahh ok
no worries as for a engine/box look in the quokka! there was a dude wreckign a complet au for 2k complet the the other week!
i know scotty got a low kay good nick auto box cheap

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:14 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

mikejh wrote:
Hey Disco Frank, were talking about 4.1L crossflow here.

My rev limit is what ever I want it to be, cause I designed the computer :-)

But I wouldn't go over 5500, just seems cruel, crossflows sound busy at high revs, not sweet like an RB26.

Mike
ahh ok
no worries as for a engine/box look in the quokka! there was a dude wreckign a complet au for 2k complet the the other week!
i know scotty got a low kay good nick auto box cheap

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Skyline

QLD, Australia

I hear ya, but you are going to have to spend a lot any way, after you have spent thousands on your 250 setup you will probably wish you started with a OHC job. IMO the extra money spent on the OHC setup would not be that much, specialy considering the benefits. Billet rods etc cost an absolute fortune! But you probably dont even need them in a 250, many parts are interchangeable with the OHC engine, so you might even be able to use the rods from one if they are stronger... I'm no expert on that stuff though.

Try ringing around more wreckers for OHC engines and check the tradeing post. I had no problems finding OHC motors for dirt cheap. Just tell them you want one to suit recon. It should cost no more that $100, I even got a AU motor for $100! I think you need XG ute engine mounts to make it fit.

If you are going to keep the BW box, just keep the 250 near standard and freshen her up and don't go for too much power as I think the BW is not the strongest box around. I'm not too sure though, hopefully someone that knows more will pop in.

R31 Skyline
2JZ GTE, stock engine, turbos, auto, and ECU.
12.5 @ 115mph
100% Owner built

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:04 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Thanks,

I might keep an eye out for a C9 box out of a XE I think.

I've been told they're a C4 with the 250 bolt pattern, should be stronger and more potential for strengthening if needed.

Mike

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

mikejh wrote:

Having said that I saw a guy rev his 460 to 6500 on the weekend. And that was just in the driveway unloaded. :shock:

Now that would have been something. Did it sound healthy being taken up that high in the rev range with no load.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Yeah, it sounded completely at home and bloody loud at those revs.
He brought it up to about 3000 for a while and then blipped it to 6500 while I was watchin the autometer tach.
Couln't believe how quick it revs.

Its got all the expensive stuff like Scat stroker crank(532ci I think) and rods, roller cam and rockers, Victor inlet manifold and about a 1000 cfm fourbarrel LPG mixer setup of his own design (runs straight gas).

It actually uses four of the ring mixers like you would put on a 5L but machined so they all fit beside each other in a square, looks huge.

About $20,000 spent on the motor, a I think its probably believable.

Mike

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2