4.0 INTO CORTINA 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 4.0 INTO CORTINA
Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:19 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU VCT,68 LANE,84 COURIER,

QLD, Australia

I already know not a new idea! but need ideas and thoughts on the whole drive line set up like mounts and clutch .I am talking te tf model. starting with e series bottom end i guess it would be easier to mod sump using the cross flow sump as a guide they are both tin and would be cheapest to do. What mounts maybe ute? will a t5 cable set up work with the single rail pedal assembly? can a t5 take a single rail speedo cable? tail shaft yoke the same? it looks like some of the paccies and other headers end fairly high up maybe it would avoid custom headers ? is the ohc motor any taller then the cross flow? any other ideas about this conversion?. probably go the carby route as it will be more a thrasher then a streeter but maybe still sensible in the engineering department. maybe lpg ?

YOU CAN LIVE IN A CAR BUT YOU CANT DRIVE A HOUSE

Post subject: Re: 4.0 INTO CORTINA
Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Anything is possible mate. best way to do it is to sit down and work on some numbers, your targeted budget, time frame, then weigh out the most economical way of tackling your project. ask yourself- should I go with a hot up 4.1 crossflow? or should I stick with a 302 set-up? (Castlemaine rod) is the people to talk to on corty v8 conversion mate. :wink:

to many badly planned projects around mate. some guys are selling their unfinished heap for less, at a lost of 10 to 20k because they couldn't make their minds up on what they really wanted from the outcome. some blew their budget due to high expectation and ended up waiting for months on end for the cash to build up, and finally gave it up because he couldn't be f**k with it any more... :lol:

either a 4.1 crossflow, 302 or.... a 4.0L that requires alot work

the rule is, be firm on your decision, your budget and time frame...

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

This is a subject close to my heart. My first car that in fact I used to drive to highschool in year 11 and 12 was a 4 cyl TD Cortina - I loved that car!!

I was actually looking for a good condition TE / TF preferably 6cyl Cortina (tho I was willing to do conversion on a 4cyl one) when I ended up buying my ED instead way back when. I personally think a nicely done up 6 cyl Cortina would be a really nice cruiser.

I have just bought a good series 2 EF because my ED has broken out in a terminal case of body rust (it got submerged in brackish water e few years ago thanks to incompetent Cairns City Council not controlling the floodgates properly). In fact I was starting once again to search for a good preferably 6 cyl TE/TF Cortina when I tripped over the EF.

As far as putting an I6 in one I really think it's basically too much hard work - I would be looking more at getting a good 6 cyl TE / TF - or even a 4 cyl one then converting it to be as a factory fitted 6 cyl one - and working that engine. It won't be overhead cam (changing the cam will be a definite must do and much more difficult job than on the I6 of course) but you can still make it go d a m n e d hard. You could even consider converting it to EFI - but my point is that as far as engine / driveline physical installation it'll save a LOT of headbending to just use factory option stuff.

Don't underestimate the old Ford 6 - I put a cam into my XF 4.1 and with the std Webber carby (I have since realised there was probably a LOT more performance to be had by fitting and properly tuning a nice Holley), 2.5 zorst and extractors it went really, really well - I only got the ED to similar or slightly better when it finally had all the current mods finished. For a few years it really hurt that my new ride simply didn't have the power of the old XF and at one point beleive it or not I had actually gone along way down the path of researching putting an XF engine into the ED!!. A properly worked 6 cyl Cortina would be a total WEAPON!

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Or even turboing the current carburettor engine. much easier to play around with different jet sizes and timing for optimum performance, manually of course. theres some real screamer 4.1 corty around that'll tear the balls off any v8 and are capable of low 13's or even high 10's.

Oh I miss my TE corty. :lol:

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:

Last edited by Slick on Sat May 02, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: TS40

VIC, Australia

thought these would give some inspiration
http://www.streetfords.com.au/TEST/view_album.php?set_albumName=album177
there is a photo i have somewhere of a TE-TF with a AU I6 i think... im still looking

Was - 2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

Now - 2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock... and a Fuel Card :)

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:18 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

well good to know there are plenty of ideas.I have owned a few cortinas the first a warm 250 with 4 barrel,cam and all the rest,the same car was converted to 351 cleveland c4 9 inch i sold that to fund the current 351 in my 68 fairlane.I have also converted a te 4 cylinder into a 302 windsor c4 set up using the left over engine and transmission from the 68,what i need to know is what bits i need to convert a te tf to ohc 6 or maybe what would come close to fitting so not to much modifying is needed,i do see the point that i can use a 250 cross flow and i know they make good power.I have had a v8 cortina and i am still involved in the 302 te that has the fairlanes engine in it,but i do have some left over bits and an engine and transmisssion from another project they are ohc parts and i dont really need another drag car or everyday car. Was thinking maybe ohc 4.0,cam,head,4 barrel,t5,4:11 spool,maybe convert brakes,the cars i have to choose from are a not so good 200 4 speed te,or a 4 cylinder auto tf s pak in fairly good nick.was thinking a decent skid car maybe with rego but not so important.

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Haha - sorry, I should have paid more attention to who was posting the thread - my response of course was in the context of someone not really experienced in that sort of thing - you'll obviously have it all in hand in short order :-)

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Some good stuff here:

http://www.spyderbyte.com.au/

Who cares how it looks, power is everything, looks are for metrosexuals.....

Don't vote...it only encourages them.

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:47 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Ha ha,what i was after was bits that would make it work like wich mounts to use on the engine,maybe the gear box mount could be modded with bits from the e series, i am also not to sure on the gearbox lengths, and even maybe wich dizzy to use with a MSD maybe the ea single point would work as a good trigger or maybe just stick to a 250 crossflow dizzy and do the usuall mods.

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:53 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

well that is a tight fit in that early black cortina,might call for a fan on the front of the radiator!

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

So basically it's just a challenge and individuality ay?
my opinion is it'll be more of a headache. there are other more economical and proven solution out there with less fuzz. good luck on it man.

All that time I though Greenmachine have done some major modifications on a cortinas. lol

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:23 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Yeah your spot, its just that i get a little carried away and if i hurt the fairlane engine i have to go to the bank to fix it :( and if i hurt the the xr6 i gotta walk to work and the wife will kill me,its in peices now but she is overseas so i got time on my side, the other thing is the ohc motors are very common at the wreckers 250 crossflow are not as common and they have a lot more kays on them,and i think the ohc motor would be a little more robust in stock form,so once i set it up i can just go to the wreckers and get a new bottom end, and it is ready for another thrashing. A bit of hard work to get it in but may save me some messin around when it comes time to find a fresh victim.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

I know man, the crossflow is getting harder to find these days but the aftermarket kit is out there to rebuilt it for peanuts. have you thought of one from a XD, XE or EF?
best bet is to try FF below. they might have blokes there who have done conversion on what you're after.

http://www.fordcortina.com.au/ :wink:

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:03 am 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Thanks mate doing lots of research first so will check it out. :)

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Check the bottom of this page for the supercharger xflow manifolds. :wink:
http://www.aussiespeed.com/details/?page_id=47

Pakrat wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next