Page 3 of 5 [ 62 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: 4 or 6 speed auto?
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:22 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

paulos wrote:
well thats very cheap then, but just because his is 2.5k doesnt mean they are all that price

but most of them are 4-5grand i was thinking of buying one until i found out the price

And how much do you think a new/replacement BTR was when they first came out. They were a pretty cutting edge advanced unit back in 1989. Even to the point they were exported to alot of euro brands for their cars.

Now that Ford has made the painfully stupid step of making ZF's standard on the FG2's starting in a couple of months, I think you'll see the price of ZF's and their rebuilds will fall heaps. Specially when 40,000 of them per year hit the market.

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:37 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: BF Fairlane Ghia, BA XR8 Ute

VIC, Australia

The BF Lane I got has the ZF 6 Speed standard, imo there is no debate or questions to be asked, 6 Speed ZF all the way, other than replacement cost there better in every single aspect to the 4 speed but that's just because of the difference in technology, build strength etc etc. On the freeway with the A/C going i get about 6.4l/100km.

Drove from Deer Park to Bordertown(SA) starting with a full tank of BP Ultimate, still had just above a quarter tank left, A/C Full crank and it was in the low to mid 30's weather wise.

The Luxo Cruiser - 07 BF Fairlane
Silhouette,Pedders CoilOvers, Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars, BluePower Tune and Airbox, DiFillipo Headers and Cat with Catback, FPV Brake Upgrade, G6ET Wheels

The New daily/Toy - 2004 BA XR8 Ute
Mercury Silver, 5 Speed Manual, a factory Blownup Boss 260 :P

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA Falcon

QLD, Australia

From what I have read yes i want the 6spd in my new car.

You all say it costs a lot for a new one but they are stronger? The 4spd in my falcon i had to replace at 100 000km (previous owner thrashed the gearbox). Would i have the same problem with the 6spd or would it last?

I'm aware it costs more.. But that's what you get for having good technology..

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The only reason the 4 speed gearbox die is because people dont service them, the oil turns black and sludgy and just keeps heating up quicker and quicker the longer you keep the crap oil in. My 4 speed has done 242,000 and its runs awesome. I drive the car hard, never do burnouts or thrash the box itself though.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:08 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Just get something with the ZF in it and be happy.

Technically they are stronger than the 4 speed (how much is depending which version you get), as cheap to service as the 4 speed (first service might be more expensive) and by all accounts just as cheap to rebuild as the 4 speed. Just depends where you go and how nice you are.

And as I said, since Ford has just made the ZF the only auto across the entire petrol range, give it a couple of years and wreckers yards will be full of them.

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

so what about the new 5 speeds in the fg? any good?

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah the ZF 6 speed is going to be standard across all petrol Falcons in the FG Mk2 and only cost $500 more than what the current base model Falcon is.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:29 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

FORDom wrote:

I've had 5 FG XR6 hire cars this year, all 5 speeds, and I think they make the 3 speed in my old XF look smooth. Each one was varying degree's of bad.

They are either smooth shifting at low throttle or they thump and bang everywhere else. Seem to have a Dr Jeykll/Mr Hyde personality.

Maybe I've been unlucky to have 5 bad ones. Speaks volumes for the quality control. I've also read on other forums about weird rpm based vibrations from the box that is considered normal by Ford too.

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:24 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: AU Falcon XRS Wagon

QLD, Australia

My AU wagon has a 72 L tank and I get somewhere around 750 to 780 on the drive to newcastle and back.
Round town I get to the next furking petrol station. Too frigging hard to keep the foot off the throtle at the moment.
I have been driving a god damned Hyundai excel for the last month and a half while I was recovering from surgery to my wrist and waiting to get my 4 speed auto back in the car.
You wanna talk about a difference in horsepower go through my cars. Excel 1.5 litre and then jump into the wagon with 4 litres, man there is a wee bit of a difference there, lol

LONG LIVE THE BEAR

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:39 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ed

NSW, Australia

FORDom wrote:

im pretty sure the 5 speed autos are the same boxes that were in explorers..eeeeeew!

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:33 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: BFII Fairmont Ghia, Silver

VIC, Australia

rumble wrote:
FORDom wrote:

im pretty sure the 5 speed autos are the same boxes that were in explorers..eeeeeew!

So who makes/made that 5 speed box in the lower spec FGs, and where?
Explorers ... maybe the 5 speed is from Mexico? (Don't laugh.)

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:20 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Yeah, they are the boxes that go into the Explorers, more commonly known as the "Exploders".

I understand they are a Ford designed and built box, and they are made in France.

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:50 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 09 FG XR6

Power: 208 rwkw

NSW, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Yeah, they are the boxes that go into the Explorers, more commonly known as the "Exploders".

I understand they are a Ford designed and built box, and they are made in France.

spot on and there garbage when the 6 speed is a option the 6 speed is soo much better in every way
and puts more power to the wheels then the 6 speed manual my fg made 208rwkw on monday with a custom exhaust 4495's cat xr8 air box and a tune my tuner said the manual's would be lucky to pull 180rwkw and the 5 speed probly less then that

2 FOR TURNING & 2 FOR BURNING

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
Yeah the ZF 6 speed is going to be standard across all petrol Falcons in the FG Mk2 and only cost $500 more than what the current base model Falcon is.

Wasn't the initial plan for the Lower spec cars to have the in house build US 6 speed auto and the premo models to retain the ZF? Or did they quickly ditch that after realising how s**t the 5 speed box was?

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Looks like they are going with the ZF in all of them

http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 28&t=50435

My old man has the 6speed auto VE SS, and the trans is s**t, thuds and takes a few seconds to kick down. Put it in reverse and the car sounds and feels like it has been hit from behind. Also feels like slush box when changing gears.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 5  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next