4lt Conversion to 5lt 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: 4lt Conversion to 5lt
Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:53 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford Fg Mk11 Turbo

VIC, Australia

Hi guy's im thinking of putting a v8 in my I6 just wanted to know how much are these engines worth (in good condition) and most of all is it worth it?? I dont wan't to go through the hassle of looking for a v8 with manual which is really rare. Iv'e already got manual so I just wan't to drop the engine in.

Cheers....

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:02 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

hey, if youve already got a worked i6 and your thinking of going to a stocko 5l windsor, sure youll have good tourque, but dont expect the same power your getting now. itll be a fair bit slower, u really need to mod the windsors to get the moving and change the diff gears.
i was looking at buying an eb xr8 a month ago (own an ED xr6) went and drove one witha mild cam, extractors, and it felt slow compared to mne.
i wouldnt think it would be really worth changing to the windsor.. however its your call
good luck!

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

Large amount of work here and painfull without a donar car to get the parts from. You will need the V8 version of the manual, the bell housing is different but more important the input shaft length is wrong requiring replacment. Next the ECU will require a swap over including both the engine loom and maybe the body loom. Unless you are after the sound of a V8 then you would be better off spending the money on doing up the six and forcing some air into it.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Last edited by twase on Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:06 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Cortina TE

WA, Australia

dunno about the price.

youd need a v8 K-Frame as theyre different to the I6
these unbolt and can be swapped over.

youd need the v8 loom/ECU/engine mounts.

possibly gearbox mount ?? unsure on that one tho

and youd need to find a v8 manual box to bolt up. as the input shaft is a different length to a I6

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Push rods are ghey :P

As said, they are pretty slow in stock form and take a fair few dollars to wake them up.

The EL2 XR8's seem to make 150rwkw through a manual which isnt that hard to do with a 6 these days.

For the cost vs benefit thing I would be buying a snort kit, running 5 psi and whatever fuel pressure reg he recommends.

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:25 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

wow sounds like alot of work needs to go into these things, I might go down the turbo track then because I just dont have the time and money to do that much work to the car, I thought it would be easy as dropping the engine in hmmm :x

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

You dont need to change k-frames in an EF, the 6's and 8's are the same.

Its not as hard as you would think to do the swap, but the results also might not be as good as you might hope for. Im a v8 guy, but as far as the e-series engines go the 6's have it all over the 8's.

I would expect your biggest problem would be finding a manual V8 as they were not common and the gearbox alone seems to sell for far more than its worth. Basically what you want is to buy a wrecked v8 that is the same model as yours, park them next to each other, strip the 6 down to bare engine bay and start bolting things from the 8 in it. At the end of the day it is probably easier (and cheaper) to sell your 6 and buy a 8.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

SA, Australia

Dude i was going to do that same thing as you cause i love the V8's, i wanted a bit of power there and i also wanted to have a V8 but after seeing that its going to cost more then 2k for a car i only paid 1800 for i turned off the idea and thought you can get cheap forced induction kits for that.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

hahaha, sorry to inform but its going to cost just as much to build yourself a reliable Turbo setup as well.... theres just no such thing as cheap power

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

V8 conversion would be cheaper than a turbo 6

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Depends on why you want to do the conversion IMO. If you want a quicker car, not a good idea, unless the HO has had some work done.

BUT, some people just like the lazy driveability and warm rumble of the 5L. Heck, some people just like fitting different engines into cars!

If you can find a written off XR8 for a good price, then it's not going to be a huge drama. FYI, XR8 was the only EF/EL 5L option with a manual.

EF monty should have the 3.23 ratio diff?? That's the lowest ratio i'd prob look at for these engines, but if you find the XR wreck it should be a 3.45 anyways...

Bloke in SA had a 6cyl EF fairy, put the engine and drivetrain from the 5spd XR8 in there... was one of the coolest e-series falcons ive ever seen.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ea 5 spd

SA, Australia

keep the six!!! and spend the {$$$$} on turbo it!!!

mods: pacemaker extractors, 2.5in red back ,lowered with pedders 17" rims, extreme h/d ceramic clutch, 3.45 ef lsd, and rear brakes, clear indicators, ef thermo's, stage 2 crow (daily)

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

aah yeah the reason why I wanted the v8 is because there reliable and I thought they had some good power (also love the rumble of a v8) but this explains that the ef/el xr8's dont get alive until they've been spent money on them. It might cost the same amount of money to put a turbo or convert it to a v8 but the turbo overall will obviously get more power. Iv'e had 3 guy's that I know that have did turbo setup's and there getting good figures with stock engine.

Really can't drive an auto, it bores me if it's an 8 I would of wanted a manual but it's just to rare maybe it might come up sometime and ill just buy a complete xr8 than converting it....

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

There is nothing like a V8, and there is so much potential in what people like to call inferior pushrod engines. Last time I ran my slightly warm 5ltr it pulled a 14.8, and that was on fairmont 3.23 gears and no internal mods, now with the 3.7's I would have to say that its a lot better, but need to run it to check. 4ltr to 5ltr though, I wouldnt tolerate the headache

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:58 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

So if i found a NL 5.0 wreck cheap, i could swap all the parts over, does the NL have the same unboltable K frame? and bolt it all in to my EL Mont

97 EL Fairmont
2006 Model Pioneer Headunit
Twin 12 Inch subs
Boot install in progress
Plenty of Mods planned
Fully Adjustable Shiftkit
Lukey 2 1/2 Inch exhaust one muffler, no resonator

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]