Fordmods Logo

4.0Lt I6 v ecotec V6 - MAX POWER??? 

Page 4 of 5 [ 65 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ef coon DOHC turbo

SA, Australia

apparently says my mates dad, fords in a five years or somethin myt be moving to v6s. i dont no myt be a load of crap.. but yeh myt be worth a mention

EF XR6 DOHC turbo 6 speed manual.
Process west intake, 60 lb injectors, Bosch 044
Bf dash and interior, el typhoon kit
build thread
the-garage-f53/not-another-dohc-into-e-series-thread-t107405.html

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ef coon DOHC turbo

SA, Australia

apparently says my mates dad, fords in a five years or somethin myt be moving to v6s. i dont no myt be a load of crap.. but yeh myt be worth a mention

EF XR6 DOHC turbo 6 speed manual.
Process west intake, 60 lb injectors, Bosch 044
Bf dash and interior, el typhoon kit
build thread
the-garage-f53/not-another-dohc-into-e-series-thread-t107405.html

Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

It is true.. the new falcon that just came out is the last to do so with an Australian straight 6 in it.. after that will come the duratec hi tech V6... remains to be seen how good a thing that is though.

Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:16 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: XH XR6

NSW, Australia

i saw some data sheets on the ecotec stroker kit. it does claim 300+ but comes with a 8K price tag? if this is true then the i6 is lacking....

Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

xhi6ho wrote:
i saw some data sheets on the ecotec stroker kit. it does claim 300+ but comes with a 8K price tag? if this is true then the i6 is lacking....

...lacking until the CMS 4.8 is finally released for the public :twisted:

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

wouldn't the duratec be half the weight of the i6 as well?

Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

half? i highly doubt

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Look at sport compact drag racing in the US. Them buick motors have been spitting out well over 1000hp for years. Seriously what have we got? Nizpro builds 2 king motors. One to just sit there and look pretty and the other went into some guys car just cause he wants a sleeper xr6T (he will most probably never hit the stripwith it so we will never know what its capable of). I seriously want to know what that thing could have done on race gas and the wick wound right up. Lazy 1300+hp is my guess but for at least the next few years we will never know.

But as for the NA motors its not just extra capacity. Back in the old days it was but not these days. I was talking to a few race engineers a while back about this and they said that most engine builders don't understand the relationship between piston speeds, head flow rates and port velocities.

The correct way to design a big hp motor is to first have a target hp and operating rpm. Then workout ideal stroke, rod length, port flow. This way the piston speeds and port velocities work together to give optimum cylinder filling at the target rpm range.

And as for rod stroke/ratio's being ideal at 2:1. That's a crock in this day and age. Back in the days of soft iron blocks and chrome molly rings it gave the least wear, and with modern metallurgical advancements anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 can be considered ideal depending on the port velocities and flow rates of the heads. Its the heads that ultimately decide how much potential the engine has, then the cam and finally the rotating assembly.

Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:51 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
One to just sit there and look pretty and the other went into some guys car just cause he wants a sleeper xr6T (he will most probably never hit the stripwith it so we will never know what its capable of).

11.9 @ 138mph

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

gogetta wrote:
I doubt that the extra .4Lt makes all that much difference....there must be a huge amount of port work, pistons...not to mention balancing, these things are rough as guts

but what i want to know is how far the I6 is behind

I agree with this, the buick motor would need a lot of balancing before it was capable of the sort of revs needed for that power.

They are a bloody horrible thing in stock trim.

I shudder to think the amount of money that you would need to throw at it to make 300 nakw's...... especially when you consider you can have an LS1 for not that much more, which are lighter as well, making that power for about two cents these days!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
xcabbi wrote:
One to just sit there and look pretty and the other went into some guys car just cause he wants a sleeper xr6T (he will most probably never hit the strip with it so we will never know what its capable of).

11.9 @ 138mph

At the time the first one was built there were hopes of 7 second passes in stripped out falcons competing in the upper levels of sport compact drag racing.

Sorry to say but that is f**k pathetic. Over 1000hp and a borderline 12second pass is the result. Almost makes my blood want to turn red all by itself. Look at the mikes Dyno EA. They were offering drive in drive out packages for relatively next to nothing which were good for a 12 IIRC. And this bloke goes out and spends 47k on a motor which only pulls him an 11.9 :roll: I'd be expecting a single digit time card on the maiden run, nothing less.

Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

$47k for an 11.9..... fk me I'd neck myself if that was the best I could muster.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

it didn't do 11.9 seconds when it was 1200hp, they didn't bother putting it down the strip because it wheel span even at 200ks. The only thing that it could go in was the territory and it was detuned i think. They have a 600rwkw xr6t there aswell

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:19 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Gezza, whos they? Do you actually know what you are talking about.

xcabbi, that was on ET streets, it's got a T56 and it was not only the cars first pass down the strip but the owners AFAIK.
It's still got IRS and it was in full street trim.
The owner has stated theres more in it, if he can learn to drive it and they can get the power to the ground.
Asking for a single digit ET first pass out is a tad naive of you.

Krisisdog, some people don't actually build cars just to go fast down the strip funnily enough.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

It might be naive but if I had 1200hp under the bonnet I sure as s**t wouldn't try and put it to the ground through a T56 and/or stock IRS rear end. It would need some serious boost control just to get it to hook up. Otherwise it would just spin the whole way down the strip. And any attempts with bigger rubber could result with the a*** end of the car being ripped clean right out if the gearbox doesn't s**t itself.

Another way to think of it is some of the big hitters in supercharged outlaws are only making another 300hp and are pulling mid/low 7's. Even on soft tune ups and learning passes the drivers of these things still pull very low 9's and high 8's.

The car that this nizpro engine is fitted to is pure and simple concrete proof that there is such thing as too much power. Can't drive it in the wet, can not apply any more than 5% throttle round corners. Just turns the tires too hard at the strip. Pure over kill. This thing could only be harnessed in something like a 4WD group B rally car or a pro style drag car. Its just a d**k pulling waste to have it in a street car.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 5  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next