5 speed conversion. 

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:13 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Yeah mate, seeing as I am now No Na, thought id better do a name change lol

EL GLI, White
Power windows, Fairmont/Ghia door trims, converted to manual, extractors, zorst, wade cam, stereo, Tickford ECU, Tickford body kit, XR wheel.....

Mods to come: 3:45 LSD sitting in shed!!

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU II Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

manual conversions are 150% WORTHWHILE.

im 20, have done maybe 10 conversions. 3 on coronas, 2 on peugeots, 1 ford, and 5 would be eithe repeats, or just random mates cars. first time took me a weekend, because i had never picked up a wrench before. have never looked back. as for my new car.

2000 fairmont au2, vct BUT FKN AUTO

now. for the tech buffs out there, manual conversion to ba 6 speed. possible? and how much? if not, ill go for an auxr 5 speed, i think theyre t50 boxes. supposedly a little more robust than the older 5 speeders.

will be looking into its stage 3 or 5 (the vct-able ones), plus some pacey 4480's.

asides from that, im stoked with the car, so will keep everyone posted on the manual conversion status

Organza 2000 AU 2 Fairmont Ghia
4.0 VCT
JMM Race Series Exhaust
AWC TS50 Front bar
3.45 LSD

Coming soon:
G&D Airbox
CAPA Edit

Post subject: Re: Manual XR6
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

rooster wrote:
I have a 1995 manual XR6 5ps manual wagon and would not swap it for the world. Family car, towee for the boat. Just had the clutch done and the installers did a small mod on the clutch release....put in a 2mm shim behind the flywheel (I think), it made the clutch work SO MUCH EASIER....it may have been because some part was a bit worn however it changed the leverage angle slightly and it is MUCH better.

Also, is there anyone else in the club with a manual wagon.....I have K&N'd it, extractor and neoprene bushes to hold the rear end. Tow a 1500kg boat, leaves oil burners for dead in the hills on New Zealand...and I am usually still in 4th gear !

Go manual transmissions anytime :D .....

Cheers

I have a manual wagon :D
there's a couple on here.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Post subject: Re: Manual XR6
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

rooster wrote:
I have a 1995 manual XR6 5ps manual wagon and would not swap it for the world. Family car, towee for the boat. Just had the clutch done and the installers did a small mod on the clutch release....put in a 2mm shim behind the flywheel (I think), it made the clutch work SO MUCH EASIER....it may have been because some part was a bit worn however it changed the leverage angle slightly and it is MUCH better.

Also, is there anyone else in the club with a manual wagon.....I have K&N'd it, extractor and neoprene bushes to hold the rear end. Tow a 1500kg boat, leaves oil burners for dead in the hills on New Zealand...and I am usually still in 4th gear !

Go manual transmissions anytime :D ..... dosent the manual tranny only have the towing capacity of 1200kg

Cheers

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Neo_nick wrote:
its an awesome mod and very worthwhile
hardest part is changing the pedal box - especially if you have an alarm and splits etc fitted

best mod ive done so far

You do it yourself Nick? How long did it take?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:40 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Falcon EL

NSW, Australia

Im quite surprised that you have to change the pedal box for a manual conversion,isnt there a way of fitting the clutch pedal to the auto pedal box.

Low EL could you tell us more about the Mal Wood clutch pin?

Thanks.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:03 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Basically, its a machined bit of steel. If you have a look on the side of an auto pedal box, you will see a hole where it goes. The Pin has two really fat washers which are shapped to go around the brake pedal mount. Basically just slot it throught he hole, put the washers on, and do up the bloody bit nut on the end. Takes all of 30 seconds to do. Fits all e series, and mabey au, but not sure. Probably the hardes part then, is the brake pedal. You can remove the auto one and replace it with a manual pedal, but that involves removing things like the air bag module to get access. What I did was wet a large sheet, wrap it around the dash/carpet/pedals etc (to protect anything flammable from sparkes) and then used an angle grinder to cut the auto brake pedal down to size. If done right, you can fit a manual brake pedal rubber over it, and no one will know the difference.

EL GLI, White
Power windows, Fairmont/Ghia door trims, converted to manual, extractors, zorst, wade cam, stereo, Tickford ECU, Tickford body kit, XR wheel.....

Mods to come: 3:45 LSD sitting in shed!!

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Low EL wrote:
Basically, its a machined bit of steel. If you have a look on the side of an auto pedal box, you will see a hole where it goes. The Pin has two really fat washers which are shapped to go around the brake pedal mount. Basically just slot it throught he hole, put the washers on, and do up the bloody bit nut on the end. Takes all of 30 seconds to do. Fits all e series, and mabey au, but not sure. Probably the hardes part then, is the brake pedal. You can remove the auto one and replace it with a manual pedal, but that involves removing things like the air bag module to get access. What I did was wet a large sheet, wrap it around the dash/carpet/pedals etc (to protect anything flammable from sparkes) and then used an angle grinder to cut the auto brake pedal down to size. If done right, you can fit a manual brake pedal rubber over it, and no one will know the difference.

lol, just got an image of angle grinding away at the pedal....

I think its easier to put the manual one in. its not as hard as everyone makes it out to be. It's the most tedious part of the conversion, but that's cos everything else is straight foward and simple.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3