Fordmods Logo

68mm TB - rev hang and idle surge 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: 68mm TB - rev hang and idle surge
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

Just fitted a new 68mm TB on my EF 4.0... the ebay one. Idle revs now fluctuate around 900-1100rpm; after a stab on the throttle the revs stay above 1300rpm.

A brief search has only left me confused... does anyone have a surefire way to fix these issues?

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Post subject: Re: 68mm TB - rev hang and idle surge
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

have you adjusted the idle screw at all?, my one is backed off all the way. But to get my idle right i had to get it tuned with my SCT chip.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I backed off the idle screw but the rotating assembly does not spring back against it - there is a slight gap. The lowest the revs will go is about 700; if I hold it back against the screw it goes down lower (unsure but might be 500 revs; can't see the tacho while I do it!).

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

it should rest against the stop until the point its out far enough that the plate is %100 closed.

if it doesn't i'd say its been assembled incorrectly.

You should be able to disconnect the the ISC and set the idle to just above stalling, then turn it off and reconnect the ISC.
You might have issues with the TPS signal if the plate needs to be set more closed that the stock would need. in this case it means measure the TPS signal of a stock setup and adjusting the tps on the new one untill the signal at idle is the same.

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I have fitted a new home-made gasket to the ISC; it has smaller holes in it and now the revs are a lot better. Idle sits around 700-750 and does not fluctuate.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

metasaiah wrote:
I have fitted a new home-made gasket to the ISC; it has smaller holes in it and now the revs are a lot better. Idle sits around 700-750 and does not fluctuate.

+1 for this. By some cork gasket maker and use a hole punch to make the holes. That's what I did and the holes are just the right size no more rev hang and or surging at idle. It's the isc letting in more air than what the ecu is tuned for coz the larger throttle body has larger area around the butterfly that air can get in.

1995 EF Futura
Port and Polished 94DT Tickford Head - Crow valve springs - 68mm Throttle Body - Wade 1673
4499 Pacemakers - 2.5" exhaust - Ti J3 Chip - 2J1 Techedge Logger -EL Tickford 3.45LSD -
XR low springs - Boge Turbo Shocks - Front DBA slotted Rotors - BA ESS shifter - Shift Kit

Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I'm now using 3mm holes in the ISC gasket and the car now idles at 600 from startup; after a long drive the idle revs do not drop below 8-900rpm. The base idle has been reset by running the car without ISC connected for a while.

Any suggestions?

Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:43 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

with the isc disconnected what does it idle at??

if you cannot lower the idle anymore with the screw, i would be looking at the throttle plate to see if its closing properly..
you should be able to lower the base idle to the point of stalling..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]