Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: 96 Falcon Track Car
Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 96 Falcon

SA, Australia

Gday,

The names Mitchell and i just recently bought a 96 Falcon Futura im turning into a track car for Modern Regularity. Ive currently stripped her out of all interior and should hopefully start some serious modifications soon. Im not looking to spend major dollars right away just simple things to make my track days more eventful. The plan is to drop her a few inches, slap on some semi slicks and touch up with a new paint job but also want to give the engine abit of umph! So if anybody has any ideas im all ears.

Post subject: Re: 96 Falcon Track Car
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:16 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

This is exactly what I have been doing with an EF.

Made a GLi into my Trackday b**ch.

At present all I have done it throw some Bendix SRT pads at it, some slotted rotors, reinforced the firewall, adjustable rear sway bay, braided brake lines, True Trax mechanical locker diff with 3:45 diff gears.

Given it a very comprehensive service. new hoses, a set of autolite plugs, as I had them on the arts shelf, a set of top gun 8.5mm leads, a new coil pack, new water pump, XR6 ecu, cause I had a spare one laying round.

I was fortunate it was a 5 speed already, it appears the head gasket in my racecan has been done recently. Clutch feels good.

I threw some Nitto Invo tyres on it, as I had them laying around as well. A set of SSL Kings in the a** and some ok'ish rear shocks. I will address tyres and shocks as time permits, but for now its out and running. Its handling the abuse pretty well actually. It gets a hard time, it gets dual entered at club supersprints, so it never really gets to much time to cool off and it backs up as hard as a gay boy in darlinghurst.

I will be looking at a set of KYB's or other mid range shocks and some progressive wound springs, I will also be getting a set of Toyo R888's after the next round as well.

I would be putting a minispool in the diff unless you happen to come across a true trax. but either way, lock that diff up. Throw a 5 speed in it if you haven't already, the BTR is bad enough on the road, it is an even bigger bucket of s**t on a circuit.

Exhause wise, I have put in a set of pacemaker 4499's and a 2½" system with cat. again stuff I had laying around.

Long and the short is,

I purchased the car for $500 no rego
Have put about $2500 into it.
I have not really taken into account the stuff I already had laying around in the build cost.
A few hours of my time and some mates, some beers, plenty of laughs some fried tyres and a s**t load of cheap fun.

They are an ok package to have some cheap fun with, don't expect it to be superfast on a track, it will just dissapoint, but there is certainly a hell of alot of fun to be had. and if you are prepared to shop around and wait for the right items to come up then you will come out ahead.

Oh and not to forget I also threw a set of 17's at it.

Free s**t like you have already mentioned are things like stripping out weight, you may make a small profit as well, there is always a small goldmine of coins that can be had behind the seats.

Also a decent bucket seat it a must. the factory seat is very ordinary. ie, turn 1 at eastern creek, turning in at 180km/h and trying to both stay on the track in keep your a** in the seat is a new way to let a little bit of poo come out..

I have a car.

Post subject: Re: 96 Falcon Track Car
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:36 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 96 Falcon

SA, Australia

Noice!

Lucky for me shes a factory manual. ive got a seat thats currently in my old track car and should have that soon. Thanks for the advice.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]