Fordmods Logo

'97 EL Falcon GLi I6 - Recommended Fuel: 91, 95 or 98? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: '97 EL Falcon GLi I6 - Recommended Fuel: 91, 95 or 98?
Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1997 Ford El Falcon Gli Wagon

SA, Australia

G'day, guys.

I have been running 98 premium in my Falcon for the past 6 or 7 months and the car is much nicer to drive, gets better mileage to the tank and has noticeably more power (placebo effect maybe?).

I was recently told that running this fuel has caused my car to develop a very rough idle in the last two months. This idle dies off as RPM increases but is terrible at the lights, but gets a little better when in neutral or park.

What do you think, guys? Is 98 premium right for my car? Or should I drop back?

Does anybody know what the recommended fuel for a '97 EL Falcon is?

Thank you, all! :D

Ride: '97 EL Falcon GLi Wagon
Mods: 2.5" Redback catback, 6000k HID, Blue LED Trip Computer, Blue LED dash, LED Audi Style Parker Lights, Footwell Lighting, White interior door handles with fade in and out with parker lights, Fairlane rear courtesy lamp.

Post subject: Re: '97 EL Falcon GLi I6 - Recommended Fuel: 91, 95 or 98?
Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF 2 Fairmont. AU 5 Litre ute

VIC, Australia

98 should be fine, what servo have you been going to? You could have got a bad batch of fuel.
I normally run 91 or 95 in both my cars. I do notice when I run 100 in them they idle better.

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

Sounds like either the engine mounts are shagged or the inlet gasket has gone. maybe a new set of plugs or at least check them. I'd love to hear why they think the fuel has caused this....

Also, you should smack who ever said that really hard

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:02 am 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

shipo_1150 wrote:
98 should be fine, what servo have you been going to? You could have got a bad batch of fuel.
I normally run 91 or 95 in both my cars. I do notice when I run 100 in them they idle better.

Thanks for the quick reply, Shipo.

I only go to BP, Caltex, Shell or Woolworths and I get 98 at all of them, or 95, if the 98 is out of order.

I am fairly sure the fuel has been fine, because it has gone through about 30 tanks of premium (country k's) and I have noticed a power gain, but the idle is still rough.

I am just stumped as to why it idles so rough.

Mods: 2.5" Redback catback, 6000k HID, Blue LED Trip Computer, Blue LED dash, LED Audi Style Parker Lights, Footwell Lighting, White interior door handles with fade in and out with parker lights, Fairlane rear courtesy lamp.

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:05 am 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
Sounds like either the engine mounts are shagged or the inlet gasket has gone. maybe a new set of plugs or at least check them. I'd love to hear why they think the fuel has caused this....

Also, you should smack who ever said that really hard

Thanks for your quick reply, too, Fiftyone.

I just installed brand new plugs and leads about a month ago, which improved the idle a little bit, gave it a bit more power (placebo effect, maybe?). But still it idles like a dog.

Do you think the inlet gasket or the engine mounts are more likely the cause? Also, which one would be cheaper to fix? I am pretty clueless as to prices. Haha. :lol:

I hope I can get out of this for <$200-$300. Or would I be kidding myself to believe that? Haha.

Thanks for your help, mate. :)

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Yeah, 98 won't upset your idle.

You will want to advance your timing slightly or get a J3 Chip to get the most of the fuel though. Running 98 on standard ignition timing will result in little if any benefit to power or economy.

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

galapogos01 wrote:

You will want to advance your timing slightly or get a J3 Chip to get the most of the fuel though. Running 98 on standard ignition timing will result in little if any benefit to power or economy.

Cheers,
Jason

Cheers for the reply, Jason! :D

I wouldn't mind a bit more power. I think we all agree that you can never have too much power.

But as the budget is really tight (Going back to uni in February and living on my own), I want to prioritize getting it to stop shaking so much. I just went and double checked all of my leads were attached properly and that there were no visible cracks in any of the plugs. I only change the plugs and leads a month ago. I am starting to think it could be the distributor, or the rotor, or the cap. Although I have also heard that in addition to a misfire, the intake manifold gasket could be to blame for an erratic idle RPM (varies between 750 and 1000 at idle). I have also been told that a misfire could be caused by a malfunctioning intake or exhaust valve. Could this also be the case?

It shakes so much that your seat is moving up and down about half an inch! If you have to wait at the lights in the Gepps Cross intersection in SA, you feel sick after about 5 minutes! Haha.

Would you have any idea what could be causing this, Jason?

If it helps to know, there is definitely a misfire, as the miss becomes less noticeable once you get the RPM up past about 1200 and plenty of power at around 2500-3500 RPM.

Hopefully I can get this fixed without having to sell any vital organs. :lol:

Cheers, Jason.

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

galapogos01 wrote:

Cheers,
Jason

Also, Jason. If you don't mind me asking, what type of supercharger have you got fitted to your EF? Did you install it yourself, what was involved and has it caused any problems?

I'd be keen to hear a bit about it. As far as I know, a supercharged EF/EL is pretty uncommon. Sounds like fun though. :lol:

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Look for a vacuum leak or cracked hose, especially to the map sensor. Spray around your intake with a can of carby cleaner to try and find the leak.

The blower is a Powerdyne BD11a - bit more info about it on my website.

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:18 am 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

galapogos01 wrote:
Look for a vacuum leak or cracked hose, especially to the map sensor. Spray around your intake with a can of carby cleaner to try and find the leak.

The blower is a Powerdyne BD11a - bit more info about it on my website.

Cheers,
Jason

I don't have any carby cleaner, mate. But would engine bay degreaser or water dispersant work? It says it is flammable gas 2, so I guess it would work?

Does that blower give your car a distinct induction sound under acceleration and what about at idle?

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Haven't tried before.

There are some videos of it on YouTube.

Cheers,
Jason

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]