Fordmods Logo

97 EL XR6 cuts out? out of ideas. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: 97 EL XR6 cuts out? out of ideas.
Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 97 EL XR6

VIC, Australia

I've currently got a 97 EL XR6, stock everything (Except gas conversion & head unit).

Today, I was driving in peak hour down a main road, on gas. Everything was normal, levels of everything was fine, temps were fine, everything was normal. Now, what happened was I was turning right at an intersection, and then my car just died, without warning, sputtering or anything. Was completely out of the blue.

Now, I can start it on petrol, but it dies when it tries to idle normally (No additional revs), and gas is completely gone. Completely gone I mean, the lights don't light up on my gauge, unable to start it on gas and if I flip it over to gas whilst moving, it dies aswell.

This is a real headscratcher, I can re-start it on petrol and rev the s**t out of it, even drive it fine, but it dies when I idle on it.

I have plenty of fuel in both tanks.

The ONLY possible change since driving it to the shops and parking it, was going down a fairly steep ramp and bumping/scratching under the car whilst leaving (about 10-20m before the engine cut out). Keep in mind I was doing no more than 5kmh, and it wasn't a heavy bash (I would have pulled over and looked at it if it was anything intense).

Is it possible I knocked something out?

If anyone wishes to give me some ideas or shed some light i'm all ears. It's chilling at my house after towing it home.

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: 97 EL XR6 cuts out? out of ideas.
Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:29 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

being that I proudly know SFA about gas systems, I am gonna make a blanket statment that isounds electrical on the gas side of things, no lights when there should be lights, check all your fuseable links and work from there.

The petrol side of things....

How often has this car been driven on pump juice? if its dying on petrol, I would look at a few things, injectors could easily be blocked, very common with dual fuel cars where gas is used alot more than petrol, fuel filter could be blocked, but this would see the engine breaking down as revs increase, not at idle, but at $12 a filter not a bad suggestion on my part, ISC could be malfunctioning causing the stall. does it make any difference having the aircon on or not? are the revs increasing when you turn the aircon on?

Few things to look into there.. good thing its saturday, you got time to do it.

Fuses on gas side is where I put my money with that system, not a heap that goes wrong with them.

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

Agreed if all lights went out fuses would be first suspect. Also look for a loose wire or a bad earth that can also cause lights out. Unlikely but it does rarely happen, the LPG ecu might be fried.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EFII Fairmont XR8

TAS, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
being that I proudly know SFA about gas systems, I am gonna make a blanket statment that isounds electrical on the gas side of things, no lights when there should be lights, check all your fuseable links and work from there.

How often has this car been driven on pump juice? if its dying on petrol, I would look at a few things, injectors could easily be blocked, very common with dual fuel cars where gas is used alot more than petrol, fuel filter could be blocked, but this would see the engine breaking down as revs increase, not at idle, but at $12 a filter not a bad suggestion on my part, ISC could be malfunctioning causing the stall. does it make any difference having the aircon on or not? are the revs increasing when you turn the aircon on?

Fuses on gas side is where I put my money with that system, not a heap that goes wrong with them.

How could clogged injectors be at fault when its dying on LPG?

Next time this happens, get out and check your gas mixer, it may be freezing up.

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:10 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

thepistonhead wrote:
dc_todd wrote:

How could clogged injectors be at fault when its dying on LPG?

Next time this happens, get out and check your gas mixer, it may be freezing up.

sorry read that as stalling out on petrol, re the reference to injectors.

I have a car.

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 97 EL XR6

VIC, Australia

cheers boys.

I start it on petrol, then after driving out of my street change it to gas. It's always been pretty dodge on petrol since I've had it, but not this bad.

If I turn on the air con, revs do increase.

I'll change my fuel filter, check my fuses.. how can you clean the injectors? I've used injector cleaner before, but just added it to the full tank of petrol.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]