Fordmods Logo

97 EL XR6 Questions 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: 97 EL XR6 Questions
Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 97 EL XR6

VIC, Australia

First off, Hi.. This is my first post here (and I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum).

I recently bought a 97 EL XR6 (188,000k's) , gotten it roadworthy and I've got a handful of questions relating to my ride.

1. When my car idles, it seems to have a bit of trouble.. Spluttering etc, how would be a way to repair this? A service?

2. The top left of my dashboard has popped out, and I'm guessing it's just as simple as screwing it back in?

3. Some of my red stripes have faded to a pinkish color, any simple way to touch these up?

4. My light doesn't come on when I open my door, and I've fiddled with it for a few days, but can't work out how to turn it on.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: 97 EL XR6 Questions
Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Welcome,

Common Problems:
documents.php?d=23

1) Idle: Ignition timing, Plugs, Fuel, Fuel filter, Inlet manifold gasket, it could be a number of things, usually its resolved cheaply.

2) Upper left near the clock? there is 3 clips, remove the facia and retrieve the missing clip(s) commonly found on top of the radio.. or scab some from the wreckers.

3) search, theres a few post on this.

4) door switch, globe, broken wires, obviously you have power as the car i guess runs,
The CRT fuse controls the interior light, as well as the BEM (body electrics module)
I'd say the switch wire has come off, does the car or did it have a factory alarm? if so, uninstalling faulty alarms can pull on this switch wire.

Just a hint, the dimmer near the headlight switch, when lifted all the way turns the interior light on.
if any int. light shines, (there's one either side of the foot well) its a switch related issue.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 97 EL XR6

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the quick reply mate. The dash is popped up on the back left (in the corner, closest to the windscreen), only noticed it this afternoon. It hasn't had an alarm system installed in the past.

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

welcome to the site. Lots of good information around here, just need to dig a bit.

As stated the miss could be many things. also could be bad leads, vac leak, dead/dieing ISC, TFI. but all easy enough fixes.

recently fixed mine...
ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/idle-problems-now-made-better-t82446.html

If this is happening, your exhaust will be thumping like crazy at the back, like you'd hear and feel big peaks of pressure out the exhaust

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:25 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Welcome to the site.

If you haven't done so, do a major service on it...if you can do it yourself you'll save yourself a lot of money. Either way, getting the usual serviceable parts replaced will help you keep track of what needs replacing for the future as well as having an ease of mind for the first year when you know these parts are new...it also sometimes helps resolve small issues or find new ones.

By major I mean the following items checked/replaced...whatever fits your budget. New spark plugs, spark plug leads, distributor cap (if you want), fuel filter, air filter, coolant system flushed, engine oil, oil filter, transmission oil, diff oil (if it's not whining no need really), power steering fluid (not really needed...but why not while you're at it)...I'm assuming when you got it road worthied, they checked all your brakes and suspension system so no need for that. Also run some injector cleaner for the first tank of petrol. That should help clear the line up.

Once you've done the service and still have engine issues. Check for vacuum leaks if there is a rough idle or lack of power down low. There is a vacuum hose that usually pops off at the MAP sensor (forget what MAP stands for)...it is located on the firewall on the passenger side in the engine bay. It's a black unit, has electrical wiring plugged into it and also a vacuum hose. Check the hose to see if it is cracked or not.

Good luck with it :D

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]