Fordmods Logo

98 Ford - How hardy is it and a few q's: 

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 98 Ford - How hardy is it and a few q's:
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey everyone, i have a few questions but firstly i will list a little bit of info on the car:
98 Ford Futura, auto:
I bought the car last Feb with 139 k's on the clock, it ran really well, all cylinders were within .5psi of 144psi, the engine oil was clean, engine was very responsive, paint and all asthetics (in and out) were great:
Stuck it on gas 30thousand km's ago, runs a dream! -Plugs were replaced then and have not been touched since :) (I have some newies sitting in the garage)

Now, the car is at 180,000km's, i have changed the oil 3-4 times, oil filter 3 times, air filter twice, radiator fluid was dropped and radiator flushed and new hoses fitted,

1. Tranny has not been serviced in the time i have had it, the manual says only to replace the fluid when its running 'rough' - Is this ok to do, it runs without a worry at all at the moment :)

2. Im told its ok to do, but to be sure 'Is it ok to go down gears on the auto tranny?' within reason i assume its ok, (ie not over 3500rpm)

3. Im running the engine on an Impco gas system, it gets roughly 450k's to $25 gas @48cents a litre :) i assume this is great economy, for an old but clean air filter, any comments/tips for longevity for the engine?

4. I clean the air filter out with an air compressor, i do a really detailed job, i spend about 5mins doing so, i imagine this isnt an issue?

5. Is it really that bad flooring it while its on gas? I imagine its ok - not so much you overheat the engine and blow oil seals and what not?

6. On petrol, with almost unroadworthy tyres i can drop the gas pedal in the wet and get both wheels spinning from 80km's to about 100km's in the wet - Which is a really insane adrenaline rush! I mean wow, power slides at 100km's! -Not really a question, but is this common?

7. Is there anything to keep my eye on as the next 50thousand km's click over? I imagine just checking the engine oil / Radiator coolant levels and making sure they dont mix.

8. I have played with the two settings on the dials where the gas goes into the air intake- Im told this is ok as long as i am not losing any performance, infact if i gain some then it will be running better;
I have no idea what these dials do, seems the big screw affects the initial idle, this i turned in and adjusted the black knob counter clockwise a lot, like 120 turns - so it starts after about 2 kicks on gas!

9. I havent dragged anyone on gas, but on petrol i have beaten countless VS commodores, VT S commodores and one or two (out of one or two) VT SS commodores - I imagine this is normal, with the exception to the VT SS, i thought one of these would kill the EL if they were trying?

10. How do the stock diffs in the EL's run? I can hold some drifts for ages, but sometimes only the back right wheel spins - which is a good safety net sometimes drifting through right hand turns, any comments on this?

Any tips for keeping this plum running well and maybe increase economy and performance without spending much more than a few hundred?

Thanks a lot guys, i really enjoy this forum, i think i'll be here a while and help out others where i can >Insert scouts salute<
:P Thanks again!
Matt

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA 3V Tunna

VIC, Australia

9 - commodores suck lol.. the VT was the heaviest commodore released.. the VT S had 147kw and the VT SS (if its a series one) had 195kw..

10 - put an LSD in.. you'll rip twins all day lol

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

1) these trannies eventually die from over heating due to crappy fluid, so give it a service and save money in the long run.

2)if you do somthing the tranny dosnent like, you will notice it.

3)thats good econamy uyour getting there, its probly just a well tuned gas system.

4)just buy your self a good K'n'N filter more peformance, better fule econ and less of a hassle to clean

5)these cars are fords, there indestructable, hehe.
dont be scared your tranny, diff and head gasket will go miles before your motor does

6)any car with dead tires is going to lose traction easly

7)just reguarly service the car, nothing much you can do apart from that

8)all your doing is playing around with you idle controller, i dont think you can do enough damage to totice a diffrence

9)you should beat any holden v6 with respects to sv6 and new vz's. as for the vt ss, he shouldve gotten you but s**t happens

10)single spinner diffs spin the wheel with the least traction. lsd, limited slip diff limits the amount of slup between each wheel, giving a vairable % to either wheel.
have a look on your diff, if its lsd it will have a little badge on it marking so, if not its a single spinner.

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks a million guys, i will get the tranny serviced - I imagine the mechanics can use a non-ford oil that will overcome the overheating issue? :)

If the head gasket does go, does it need towing to the mechanics or can i drive it 20km's and say leave it there overnight?

Actually at the moment my amplifier i just hooked p has some interference, if i turn the music on, the back speakers play the sounds of the tranny winding up, i hear the clutch in it and all. - The only time i notice the tranny hates going down gears is into first, where it clunks.. But anything down to second seems fine :)

THanks again :)

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

ford service manual specifies castrol TQ95 transmission oil
there are other equivalents out there in other brands
your mechanic should only use this oil or equivalent
some guys service the tranny themselves (i do)
not much work and save some money, but a bit messy
every 20-30k or annually

if you don't know the history of tranny services on this car, I'd recommend asking for a full flush
this will replace ALL the fluid in the transmission and torque converter
if you just ask for a "service" they will replace only the fluid in the transmission part.
this is about only 1/3 of the total amount of transmission oil
this new oil then mixes with the 2/3 old oil still in the coverter
better replace the lot and then you've got peace of mind

regarding tranny overheating, an external transmission cooler is the way to go

95 EF Wagon, Dedicated Gas

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

early vt ss's only had 179kw but still should've beaten an el!

take it easy manually shifting your auto, esp back into 1st when slowing down. make sure the brakes are doing all the work and not the gears.

head gasket may have already been done before you purchased the car otherwise it WILL need doing at some stage, no question about it. if you keep an eye on the water usage (shouldn't be any) then it can be picked up reasonably early allowing it to be driven to a mechanic.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagon & EF fairmont wagon & M

VIC, Australia

very important to use the right tranny oil or will cook and die$$$$$$$$$$$$
fit a trans cooler.
very important to watch for coolant leaks and maintain coolant level.
Low coolant can result in air in the head and major cracking.
you should see many hundreds of thousands of klm with care. one of my EF's is up to 348,000klm with only 2 head gaskets due to coolant leaks/catastrophic radiator failure.
new exhaust, brakes, radiator, surge tank, water pump..... nothing too hard

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thats all awesome info -I wont service the thing myself cos i dont have any garage space, what should i expect a full flush of the tranny to cost?
Thanks again :)

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

90% of the time on ef/l falcons its the head bolts that snap/stretch causing the head to warp, and not the gasket failing.

most times if you look at the exhaust side of the block you will see a wet patch leaking down from the head.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I was talking to my uncle, apparently they service the auto transmission in 'dust free' rooms, on glass tables and stuff :)
I imagine this isnt a problem if you are doing it on a gravelled area, with stands, a tarp to sit the bottom panel on etc.. Its not dusty where im doing it, just it isnt a proper room :)

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

depends what "dust free means"
if it's a proper dust free room like what's used for satellites & stuff, i reckon he's yanking your chain, or he's the most fastidious person around who does transmissions - what's the name of his shop?
or dust free could mean, that clean table over there which we wipe the dust off every now & then when we remember, which also just happens to have a glass top etc...

95 EF Wagon, Dedicated Gas

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

10) I know EL fairmont's like my car have a 3.23 diff so maybe your Futura might have one all it could have the gay 3.08 GLi ratio?

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

yeah mines a 98 EL futura and has 3.08 diff

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Futura

QLD, Australia

hey mate with the amp question cheack that u have th power from the battery, remote wire down one side and run the rca and speacker wire down the outher/ the noise is the aultinator, u can get some thing that stops it but just put the power down one side and the outhers down the outherside.... GL :D

El Futura
Pacemaker extractors, hiflow cat, 2.5 cat back, DBA slotted rotors, K&N, dev 5 head and cam, 75 shot noss, 20's.ba Detroit locker. 3.9 gears, CAI and outher stuff.....

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

smithy_1 wrote:
depends what "dust free means"
if it's a proper dust free room like what's used for satellites & stuff, i reckon he's yanking your chain, or he's the most fastidious person around who does transmissions - what's the name of his shop?
or dust free could mean, that clean table over there which we wipe the dust off every now & then when we remember, which also just happens to have a glass top etc...

Haha, probably, you know how people exagerrate :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next