Fordmods Logo

A few extractor questions 

Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: A few extractor questions
Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Yea not to worries. I don't drive hard often and have only been pulled over once for a rbt 3 days after I got my ps. About 4 months onto my greens now.

Went and got a pink slip today and asked my mech. How much it would cost to put on my extractors.
He said around the $200 mark. Said most ford cats can't be used because of the way they are built or something.

This seems a bit steep.
He does charge 95 a hour tho.

Is this about normal or should I go somewhere else.

Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

i got my extractors, high flow cat, and the sports exhaust installed for $300. try a few places for quotes and offer under the table cash for no gst. youll be suprised how many places will take it.

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 95 mont

QLD, Australia

Ok, I got a new question. :?:

Spoke to my mechanic and a knowledgeable friend today about having extractors and 2.5" cat back installed on the ol' fairmont, (it already has a 2.5" catback but is very holey), from what I have read its a cheap enuff improvement from stock to get decent economy and performance increases, (Im really after a nice exhaust note and economy), however both have tried to talk me out of having the work done?

Here are some of the reasons given to me, I would like to hear of any opinions on this please... Apparently; having just the exhaust done will likely not produce any noticeable gains due to the head not being "tuned" to the extractors/ exhaust or vice versa, because of something to do with pressure and the std head being tuned to std manifold etc...therefore the head would have to have work done to it to suit the extractors...Another reason was when traveling over 100kms they can cause car to drone and get the shakes/ wobbles or something?? (what the??) also the expense was not really worth the minimal if any gains that might be achieved.

I would really like to have the work done but hard to justify the initial expense, I've been quoted $340 for the cat back installed, and $700 for extractors and high flow cat installed. By my calculations if i improved fuel economy by 10% as some exhaust shops advertise it would take over 100 tanks of fuel to break even, approx 2 years.

I would consider these two guys to be fairly knowledgeable about cars and they both advised me to go back to std exhaust, I would like to get some feedback from you guys that have extractors etc,

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:04 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

I found the XR6 GHIA ECU(6DJA) combined with a 300KPA fuel reg works better with stock headers, standard cat and 2.5in exhaust then when I had pacemaker 4499's on. The idle is alot better and low down power is really good. Have only lost a little bit right up high in the rev range. Around town the car always has poke out of a corner, before it was a bit of a hit or miss thing.

Future plans: I am going to get the pacies modified(longer secondaries) and get a J3 chip.

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok. So today I went for some more quotes.
One guy said around $200. One said he wouldn't touch it and the last said $150.
So naturally I went with that guy.
He got it in in about 2 hours but managed to break the vacume hose adapter on the rocker cover clean in half. I didn't realise till I got home.
Car was running s**t. Chewed quater tank of fuel in about half a hour and was idleing at 1700rpm.
so I just taped it back together for now.

Hard to tell with the gains yet.
Slightly louder.
Seems to pull harder from around 3000rpm and rev out smoother.
With the installation of a new fuel filter and a new pod im hoping it'll be a little more noticiable.

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

kdogg wrote:
Ok, I got a new question. :?:

Spoke to my mechanic and a knowledgeable friend today about having extractors and 2.5" cat back installed on the ol' fairmont, (it already has a 2.5" catback but is very holey), from what I have read its a cheap enuff improvement from stock to get decent economy and performance increases, (Im really after a nice exhaust note and economy), however both have tried to talk me out of having the work done?

Here are some of the reasons given to me, I would like to hear of any opinions on this please... Apparently; having just the exhaust done will likely not produce any noticeable gains due to the head not being "tuned" to the extractors/ exhaust or vice versa, because of something to do with pressure and the std head being tuned to std manifold etc...therefore the head would have to have work done to it to suit the extractors...Another reason was when traveling over 100kms they can cause car to drone and get the shakes/ wobbles or something?? (what the??) also the expense was not really worth the minimal if any gains that might be achieved.

I would really like to have the work done but hard to justify the initial expense, I've been quoted $340 for the cat back installed, and $700 for extractors and high flow cat installed. By my calculations if i improved fuel economy by 10% as some exhaust shops advertise it would take over 100 tanks of fuel to break even, approx 2 years.

I would consider these two guys to be fairly knowledgeable about cars and they both advised me to go back to std exhaust, I would like to get some feedback from you guys that have extractors etc,

Mate, for the catback, speak to PipeWerx, I got a 2.5" Mandrel bent system fitted on my folks EL Wagon for $240 Supplied AND Fitted.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

I got my cat back installed for 300 bucks, custom made,

Then was about 300 bucks for the extractors and high flow + fitted

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

So 87SIlude How is she running now? Are you getting noticeable fuel economy?

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I have been getting 400-450ks (still havnt changed fuel filter and has an old o2 senser) with extractors on and some spirited driving where as before it was 400ks really babying it.
She has a nice note now.
Drives much nicer.
I backed my timing off a bit because im to keen on the accelerator now, too many cops.

And the guy who said extractors cause drone and shakes around 100kph. I wasn't believing that to be possible. But now around 100ks or speeding up a hill I get drone everytime the car bounces, and feels like a vibration.
Really weird.

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

So you are definitely getting better fuel economy so that's good, Sounds like if you babyed it abit you might get close to 500kays? maybe more? And that's real interesting about the drone and the vibrations, Have you had any head work done or just bolt straight onto standard head? Maybe it has something to do with pipe lengths and muffler/ resonator configurations? any opinions? would like to hear from others that have extractors etc fitted,

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well my exhaust has 2 mufflers and the tip is a fair way out the back of the bumper so it has little drone. And since it only does it after a bump untill the car seats again im guessing when the raises up and down the exhaust simply moves.
No head work, just bolt ons.

I think if I get a new o2 and fuel filter ill get 500+.
Babying it ontop of that. Well then fuel would seem worth while haha.

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Your exhaust isn't hitting on your driveshaft is it? I would also check that your rubber hangers are still all in decent nic.

As for droning, I have 4480's and a 2 muffler system I made up in my AU. When I had it stopping at the diff it was really noisy/kind of droney in the cabin, even more so than outside the car. Since I had a tailpipe put on it is a lot quieter and has minimal drone.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yea dump tips or anything that stops shorter then the bottom of the bumper will usually drone. Probably something to do with the noise bouncing off the road and around under the car and cabin.

I don't think its hitting. Will double check. But I got all my hangers replaced with the new exhaust.

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: xp falcon, xt falcon, xh xr6

Power: 182 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ok i just had my exhaust done on my XH XR6 yesterday......
Pacemaker comp extractors
Xforce stainless cat and muffler
2.5" stainless exhaust
it was standard before, and it made s**t load of difference!!!!
standard cats arent bad they flow around 175 hi-flows are around 200 so not to much better......
and about the clutch cable melting, i used used fuel line, and sliced it and pushed it over....works a treat!
good luck......

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

blue_oval_power wrote:
ok i just had my exhaust done on my XH XR6 yesterday......
Pacemaker comp extractors
Xforce stainless cat and muffler
2.5" stainless exhaust
it was standard before, and it made s**t load of difference!!!!
standard cats arent bad they flow around 175 hi-flows are around 200 so not to much better......
and about the clutch cable melting, i used used fuel line, and sliced it and pushed it over....works a treat!
good luck......

I made a little heat shield for my clutch cable, and used some cable ties to hold it away.

Attachments:
IMGP3589.JPG
IMGP3589.JPG [ 401.78 KiB | Viewed 108 times ]
IMGP3590.JPG
IMGP3590.JPG [ 349.31 KiB | Viewed 120 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4