A few general tips & tricks 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: A few general tips & tricks
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Hey, here's a few general tips & tricks that I've come across when I have been working on cars, some of it is specific to Falcons, but most of it applies equally to any car. Feel free to add any more tips, Enjoy !!

* Velour seats come up really good with that $2 engine degreaser you can buy from supercheap auto, dont forget to use a good interior shampoo on it afterwards, and plenty of hot soapy water, or it might damage the seats.

* Falcon engines, mainly XF onwards tend to respond quite well to advancing the ignition timing a few degrees, and running premium unleaded

* When you install a new radiator, it's a good idea to change the water pump at the same time, as well as the thermostat, and give the engine a good flush, so there is no crap left in the cooling system.

* The ventilation duct under the windscreen wipers on XD-XF Falcons always fills up with leaves, this in turn causes rust, but there is an awnser ! Clean it out and install some flywire screen over it to prevent the leaves getting in there, Although I've only tried this on an XF, I would imagine something similar can be fabricated for other models.

* Always use at least 2 cans of paint when painting rocker covers or other large bits & peices, I used 1 can to paint my rocker cover, and I feel that a couple more coats would shine it right up.

* Make sure all the earth leads on your car are clean & tight, it will result in smoother running, less electrical faults in lights etc, and not having solid earths is a common cause of battery related problems

* if the plastic bit that holds the headlight to the front 1/4 panel on an XF Falcon breaks off, you can take the headlight out, drill a small hole in it, and run a zip tie though it and attatch it to the 1/4 panel that way, you MAY also be able to do this on XD's and XE's, although I cant remember how it is set up.

* wreckers are a good source of performance parts if you are on a budget, look for things like extractors, sports coils, bigger/better carbys & manifolds, new leads & stuff like that

* If you damage a plastic brake light switch when installing or removing it, dont bother with another plastic second hand one, you'll just break it again, buy a brand new metal one as they are much better, brake light switches are pretty universal in older cars.

* Thinners is good for removing sticky stuff from plastic parts of the interior, it does not seem to damage the plastic

* All XF instrument clusters are interchangeable. You can install a Fairmont Ghia/Fairlane/LTD one into a Falcon GL or a Fairmont, and same goes for the S packs, although if you are installing a gauge cluster that has an oil pressure gauge into a car that doesnt have one, you'll also need to change the sender unit, This also applies to EA/EB/ED instrument clusters, and I presume it applies to EF/EL and AU as well, though I cant be sure.

* Tyre pressures can make a huge difference to the way a car handles, if you are on a tight budget, play with theese first before making any major upgrades.

* Always have a spare set of keys for your car, because that way, if you loose your keys, you wont have to break a window.

* Whenever you change your oil, dont forget to change the filter at the same time, You dont have to, but your engine will thank you in terms of engine life & performance, also, stick to the one brand of oil every time. I've had no trouble with Valvoline oils, but it's really up to you.

* When making new earth leads for things like electric aerials & alarm systems, it's a good idea to invest in some good quality ring terminals, and a proper crimping tool, if you dont, you may have problems related to poor earths

* When installing amplifiers, use a proper wiring kit to wire it up, instead of old scraps of wire that you have lying around, you'll get a much cleaner audio signal, and power wires will be less likely to melt, it's also a good idea to run the signal wires seperatley to the power wires

* Methylated Spirits is good for cleaning carburettors & brake components

* A good cut & polish will make an ENOURMOUS difference to the overall appearence of a car

* Armour all works well to clean radiator hoses & fuel lines etc

* Always put any nuts/bolts/washers you take off into a container so you dont loose them

* It's always handy to have a bit of electrical wire & some sidecutters in the car, a torch is very handy too

* On an EA-AU Falcon, it's epecially important to keep the cooling system in top condition, otherwise you are likely to have head problems. Use the correct coolant, and when changing headgaskets, it's very important to use new bolts, and torque the head down properley. Apparently, it's best to use an AU Headgasket and AU bolts, and it's probably also best to use Ford Genuine Parts.

Gab

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NC II Fairlane

NSW, Australia

* Velour seats come up really good with that $2 engine degreaser you can buy from supercheap auto, dont forget to use a good interior shampoo on it afterwards, and plenty of hot soapy water, or it might damage the seats.

bit of a contradiction there dont you think?

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Now with el thermos fitted.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

well my seats are damn clean

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

keep a disposable camera in the car in case you have an accident you can take immediate photos of the damage and maybe any hazards that were on the road that might otherwise be hard to prove later.

ALL WAYS USE THE RIGHT TOOLS

clean a dirty engine before working on it if possible. its easier to work on, you end up with less grease all over your face and through your hair ect, there is less risk of dropping a bolt or nut down into the impossible to reach places if it is not oily or greasy.

If you advance the timing then use a timing light to know how much you have advanced it and beware of detonation or pinging.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]