a few questions about my car, ed fairmont 6 cyl auto 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: a few questions about my car, ed fairmont 6 cyl auto
Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:03 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: 1994 ford fairmont ED

WA, Australia

Hey guys I just want to know how often you should change the oil in the diff? and how do you go about changing it? My diff is just a standard diff. and also what oil to use?

the previous owner didnt really know what he was doing when fixing the car, the car was neglected, everything was sealed up using house sealant.

Fuel Pump:

The past 2 days ive been trying to get the hard plastic ring off the fuel pump in the boot and its not budging theres no metal clamp on it either so i think hes locktight it or siliconed it, any one have any idea on how i can go about getting the pump out to put a new one in without dropping the fuel tank??

Suspension:

Ive been experiencing a knocking sound in the rear suspension ever since i lowered it 2 years ago, unsure of what it is also its pretty bouncy in the rear when you push it down, any one know what the problem is? i had thought it could be the shocks, as there not matched with the lowered springs but the fronts are fine. its on king springs super lows all round.

Wheel nuts:

As of late my wheel nuts have been coming undone and i started to think someone was trying to steel my rims until a few weeks ago my rears were loose and so were my lock nuts, what is causing this and how can i stop it?
It was really bad once when i was driving on a major highway in perth 3 lanes i was in the far right when the front of the car started shaking so i had to carefully go across 2 lanes and then park up on the emergancy lane to fix them.

Thermo Fans:

I really suck at electronics but i always have a go just to see if i can do it, what i want to know is how hard is it to put thermos in? i struggle when reading wiring diagrams, i have got a thermo kit from super cheap with the control module and that in it, is there anything else i need? any other fuses or relays?

i think thats it for now, any help would be much appreciated.
Thankyou
Brett

Post subject: Re: a few questions about my car, ed fairmont 6 cyl auto
Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Fuel Pump:there is a special tool for undoing this, or you can use a block of wood and a hammer
Suspension:the knocking sound will probably be the bottom shock bolts being lose, they need to be really tightened
Wheel nuts:if your using wheel adapters for your rims or spacers this can happen,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Last edited by bry40l on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:13 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

no spacers or adaptors for the rims

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ba XR6 mk2 n/a

NSW, Australia

Do a diff oil change for peace of mind, they last for years..Supercheap auto can show you what you need.

BANNED USER

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hey guys I just want to know how often you should change the oil in the diff? and how do you go about changing it? My diff is just a standard diff. and also what oil to use?

the previous owner didnt really know what he was doing when fixing the car, the car was neglected, everything was sealed up using house sealant.

Fuel Pump:
Q) The past 2 days ive been trying to get the hard plastic ring off the fuel pump in the boot and its not budging theres no metal clamp on it either so i think hes locktight it or siliconed it, any one have any idea on how i can go about getting the pump out to put a new one in without dropping the fuel tank??

A) As Bry40l said, special tool or us a piece of wood and keep tapping it round, Std thread type, undo anti clockwise.

Suspension:
Q) Ive been experiencing a knocking sound in the rear suspension ever since i lowered it 2 years ago, unsure of what it is also its pretty bouncy in the rear when you push it down, any one know what the problem is? i had thought it could be the shocks, as there not matched with the lowered springs but the fronts are fine. its on king springs super lows all round.

A) Replace your rear shocks with lowered shocks. Check around for price. If you are on a budget you can use Munro GT's

Wheel nuts:
Q) As of late my wheel nuts have been coming undone and i started to think someone was trying to steel my rims until a few weeks ago my rears were loose and so were my lock nuts, what is causing this and how can i stop it?
It was really bad once when i was driving on a major highway in perth 3 lanes i was in the far right when the front of the car started shaking so i had to carefully go across 2 lanes and then park up on the emergancy lane to fix them.

A) Strange one. Do you have the right wheel nuts? What sort of wheels are fitted?

Thermo Fans:
Q) I really suck at electronics but i always have a go just to see if i can do it, what i want to know is how hard is it to put thermos in? i struggle when reading wiring diagrams, i have got a thermo kit from super cheap with the control module and that in it, is there anything else i need? any other fuses or relays?

A) Check this, you will find it useful, documents.php?d=97

i think thats it for now, any help would be much appreciated.
Thankyou
Brett

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

ba_xr6bw wrote:
Do a diff oil change for peace of mind, they last for years..Supercheap auto can show you what you need.

Don't use Superceap for mechanical advice.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

With the diff oil:

1. Drain the diff by removing the bottom bolt in the diff hat, sort of shown in this photo

2. When diff is empty, install the drain bolt and fill with the recommended oil. This is the fill point.

3. Check oil level on a LEVEL surface. Oil level should be level with the bottom of the fill hole.

Recommended fluid: Conventional: SAE 90 Hypoid
LSD: SAE LS 90 EP (Extreme Pressure)
Capacity: 1.65 litres.

Thanks,

Evan

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

evxr6 wrote:
With the diff oil:

1. Drain the diff by removing the bottom bolt in the diff hat, sort of shown in this photo

2. When diff is empty, install the drain bolt and fill with the recommended oil. This is the fill point.

3. Check oil level on a LEVEL surface. Oil level should be level with the bottom of the fill hole.

Recommended fluid: Conventional: SAE 90 Hypoid
LSD: SAE LS 90 EP (Extreme Pressure)
Capacity: 1.65 litres.

Thanks,

Evan

Nice work mate.

Very well done and informative

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ba XR6 mk2 n/a

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
ba_xr6bw wrote:

They have books and graphs displaying which oils to buy for any car!!!
Can't see what your problem is, and I've checked with auto one and auto barn and they all recommend the same oil / fluid / part, as each other.

BANNED USER

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ba_xr6bw wrote:
SWC wrote:
ba_xr6bw wrote:

Can't see what your problem is, and I've checked with auto one and auto barn and they all recommend the same oil / fluid / part, as each other.

and yet i went there today to ask them for an oil cap for my brothers suzuki sierra as his has gone missing and they looked it up on the computer and sold me the completly wrong one, took it back and argued with them, shown them it wouldnt fit and ended up guessing which type it was and got it right straight away
they can be right but can also be very very wrong, they only go off what a computer/book tells them most of the time and most of them have never put a spanner to their cars, then there are also some that know straight off the top of their head which part is for what car and are spot on every time

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

bry40l wrote:
ba_xr6bw wrote:
SWC wrote:
ba_xr6bw wrote:

and yet i went there today to ask them for an oil cap for my brothers suzuki sierra as his has gone missing and they looked it up on the computer and sold me the completly wrong one, took it back and argued with them, shown them it wouldnt fit and ended up guessing which type it was and got it right straight away
they can be right but can also be very very wrong, they only go off what a computer/book tells them most of the time and most of them have never put a spanner to their cars, then there are also some that know straight off the top of their head which part is for what car and are spot on every time

This is why I only buy oil and filters from supercheap and buy major parts elsewhere.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

With the diff oil...it will stink so don't be surprised if it's nasty.

Also when refilling the diff with new oil...to make it quick, don't open the sealed oil bottle, get a bucket of hot water and leave the bottles floating in the bucket. Do this while you drain the old oil out...this is to obviously heat up the oil so it flows easier when you pour it straight from the bottle...if it's cold, it'll take forever.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
Also when refilling the diff with new oil...to make it quick, don't open the sealed oil bottle, get a bucket of hot water and leave the bottles floating in the bucket. Do this while you drain the old oil out...this is to obviously heat up the oil so it flows easier when you pour it straight from the bottle...if it's cold, it'll take forever.

never herd of this but its a good idea

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

It's a great idea.
You can buy some clear 10mm plastic tubing from bunnings for $5.
Feed it into the diff filler, run it along and over either L or R rear tyre, tape it to the rear qtr panel, fit a funnel, and tape this to the panel also (use duct tape or something decent)and fill away your 1.65L of oil.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:51 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

My rims are 18" osaka manus ( can't remember spelling sorry) with 1/2" nuts

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next