Fordmods Logo

A few questions for all the gurus 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: A few questions for all the gurus
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:47 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

G'day all,

I'm back from my 2nd and definately last private job in Baghdad thankfully (stupid yank businessmen!). Been a long time since I wan on here thats for sure. Anyway, I made enough moolah over there to buy a spanking new FPV GTO for cash, and it rocks!!!

I am fixing up my dear old EF2 Futura to give to my sister and I have a couple of questions. I know, do a search. Well I did and got about 1500 hits that didn't come close. Anyway, here goes.

1. The sump is leaking a little right from the back - how do I replace the gasket because it looks like a bastard to get to. Can I do it without removing the crossmember which I don't want to do?

2. The front suspension knocks a bit on the highway, how easy or hard is it to replace the bushes and shocks and how do I go about it?

3. Is there any way to clean the coolant reservoir, because it looks s**t and the rest of the engine bay is shmick.

4. Sometimes it gets a really strong smell of petrol, just every now and again. What is this? Can I fix it?

Thanks in advance lads. I will be monitoring this forum all day hoping to hear from you with your great ideas.

Sniper

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

1. The sump is leaking a little right from the back - how do I replace the gasket because it looks like a bastard to get to. Can I do it without removing the crossmember which I don't want to do?

- Chances are its not the sump gasket but the rear main seal, if it's just sump gaskey you can lift the motor up as if to remove drop the sump down (but wont come off) clean it in place and then replace the gasket, if its rear main seal then you need to seperate engine and gearbox (easiest to remove them both and do the job)

2. The front suspension knocks a bit on the highway, how easy or hard is it to replace the bushes and shocks and how do I go about it?

- bushes have to be pressed out and back in, I would check the sway bar rubbers as a bossibly cause of the knocking first, shocks at the front are easy to get out, but you will need spring compressors to replace them.

3. Is there any way to clean the coolant reservoir, because it looks s**t and the rest of the engine bay is shmick.

- Remove the tank, get a mild detergent solution in warm/hot water and a*** river sand, swirl it around and around till it comes mostly clean.

4. Sometimes it gets a really strong smell of petrol, just every now and again. What is this? Can I fix it?

- I will guess it's the charcoal canister, only solution is to replace it, front left of car is where it is located.

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

I got a question for you onemilesniper how do you get rid of the yellow stuff from headlights on the EF/ELs?

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Post subject: Re: A few questions for all the gurus
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

onemilesniper wrote:
G'day all,

I'm back from my 2nd and definately last private job in Baghdad thankfully (stupid yank businessmen!). Been a long time since I wan on here thats for sure. Anyway, I made enough moolah over there to buy a spanking new FPV GTO for cash, and it rocks!!!

I am fixing up my dear old EF2 Futura to give to my sister and I have a couple of questions. I know, do a search. Well I did and got about 1500 hits that didn't come close. Anyway, here goes.

Thanks in advance lads. I will be monitoring this forum all day hoping to hear from you with your great ideas.

Sniper

If the oil leak is the rear main, it can be replaced by removing just the tranny, particularly if you have access to a hoist. A transmission place did mine for me for $300 including a service.

To change the front shocks you need a external spring compressor.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Sniper, the petrol smell you refer to is fairly common in EFs. I think ford even issued a fix for it..

More noticable on warm days? When tank is a bit low as well?

I understand you can extend the venting line from the carbon canister, this is located just behind the passenger side front indicator.

Coolan header tanks can be cleaned as above, but she'll never come up too well and will need replacing if you want it to look brand spankin'..

BTW welcome back.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:10 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Timmeh wrote:
I got a question for you onemilesniper how do you get rid of the yellow stuff from headlights on the EF/ELs?

Knock them back with wet and dry - takes forever but works or

do what I did in desperation and spray them with throttle body cleaner (once only) and wipe them with a damp rag. This worked excellently for me. or

got to this place and order a set for $190
http://www.ozeparts.com.au/

Must be a pretty dangerous tea cup.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

onemilesniper wrote:
Timmeh wrote:

Knock them back with wet and dry - takes forever but works or

do what I did in desperation and spray them with throttle body cleaner (once only) and wipe them with a damp rag. This worked excellently for me. or

got to this place and order a set for $190
http://www.ozeparts.com.au/

Must be a pretty dangerous tea cup.

I was going to absolutely blast you but you've mentioned something you didnt before. When you were on here ages ago you mentioned this technique but you never said with a damp rag. You just said with a rag and it stuffed the headlights up worse. I have bagged you out in the past for wrecking my headlights with this method but now you've mentioned damp rag. Sorry for all that.
Welcome back to the forums. :D

EL XR8

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

hahah i was waiting for a post like that :P

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Sorry if it stuffed your headlights, but it worked on mine. Apologies if I didn't say damp rag (my fault). Anyway I was just about to smash mine with a ball peen hammer and thought I would do this as a last resort.

Once again sorry if it didn't work but hey....I'm a grunt not a headlight magician.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

onemilesniper wrote:
Sorry if it stuffed your headlights, but it worked on mine. Apologies if I didn't say damp rag (my fault). Anyway I was just about to smash mine with a ball peen hammer and thought I would do this as a last resort.

Once again sorry if it didn't work but hey....I'm a grunt not a headlight magician.

No harm done. It f**k me off a bit so I sold the car. :lol:

Now on to your questions

Some people on here (not me) have taken the reservoir out and filled it with some gravel or sand or something with water in it and shaken it about and that cleans the inside of the scum and s**t. I pretty sure Disco Frank did it. But if its the yellowing of the plastic that s**t you buy a new one after you flush the coolant out and replace it with good stuff. Will last a few years before going back to that colour.

Have you checked the fuel pump? It could be that. Take the cover off in the boot and see if it reeks of fuel if it does it could be that. It might make the car smell of fuel on hot days if the cover to the fuel pump is not 100% sealed or the lines are not attached properly or split or something.

EL XR8

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

haha yeah I believe you had several confirmed kills with your throttle body cleaner advice one mile sniper! :P
I was one of them, it f*cked mine royally but I managed to sand them back with some heavier sandpaper - no biggie

ImageImage

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]