A question regarding oil thickness 

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: A question regarding oil thickness
Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:27 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura / FG XR6 / DF LTD

NSW, Australia

To all those people with older engines who may be panicked by some responses in this thread into thinking they are doing the wrong thing by using a thicker oil with a higher kinematic viscosity index DONT PANIC . As an engine wears ( higher kilometres ) naturally the bearings wear and the clearances grow , using a higher viscosity oil is the ONLY way short aof a strip down and rebuild to rectify oil pressure problems . As for loading up your oil pump this is a crock of s**t . Back in the day everyone and I mean EVERYONE who was serious used BP Corse plus which had a viscosity index of 25 60 .

Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

well i've been driving with the 15w40 in for a few days now and the pressure has definitely dropped (from 2 bars down to 1.5 on the gauge) but has never hit the red once. The car's running a tad and my economy sits at 12.2L per hundred. Not much difference really but any improvement is always nice

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL XR6

New Zealand

Hi all, I'm new here, reading this thread got me wondering, I have a EL XR6, almost 250,000Km, Has been well looked after and serviced regularly. I've been using the same oil as the previous owner. Total Lubricants 15W40, runs fine, oil guage sits on 6(bar or Kg/cm2, I am not sure), Goes slightly above 6 when I show it my Jandal and blast past slower traffic. The last oil pack they sent was 10W30 and I am a little cautious. I topped it up with the thinner stuff as it was a bit low and the lifter rattle on startup has quietened down, pressure is still good. It's due for an oil change, and I am tempted to just throw the thinner stuff in and see how it goes. but logic says NO!!! especially after reading what everyone else is running. Anyone want to comment?
Cheers
Q

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

q4short wrote:
Hi all, I'm new here, reading this thread got me wondering, I have a EL XR6, almost 250,000Km, Has been well looked after and serviced regularly. I've been using the same oil as the previous owner. Total Lubricants 15W40, runs fine, oil guage sits on 6(bar or Kg/cm2, I am not sure), Goes slightly above 6 when I show it my Jandal and blast past slower traffic. The last oil pack they sent was 10W30 and I am a little cautious. I topped it up with the thinner stuff as it was a bit low and the lifter rattle on startup has quietened down, pressure is still good. It's due for an oil change, and I am tempted to just throw the thinner stuff in and see how it goes. but logic says NO!!! especially after reading what everyone else is running. Anyone want to comment?
Cheers
Q

Ambient temperature plays a big part for you blokes that are waaaay down past the Tropic of Capricorn.
5W30 / 10W30 would be good for winter, and 15W40/50 for summer for you Kiwi's.
That is my professional opinion.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL XR6

New Zealand

Thats cool, eases my concern, Just checked your profile to make sure your profession wasn't something like landscaping and gardening. Thanks!

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

q4short wrote:
Thats cool, eases my concern, Just checked your profile to make sure your profession wasn't something like landscaping and gardening. Thanks!

Thats alright.....the one thing I don't do is bullsh!t.....too busy to be bullsh!ttin anybody.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2