Fordmods Logo

Abandoned cars, side of road, what's the go? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Abandoned cars, side of road, what's the go?
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2010 G6E

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
REW93N wrote:
Flog the ticky kit mate,
Monts with ticky kits look sex.
I'll be looking for one soon,

Yep thats right.

As the car is not yours, taking anything from it will be classified a theft, dumped car or not. If Mr Plod sees you taking anything from it you will be see as stripping someone else's car, dumped or not. Tow it away to strip parts and it is car theft.

Hope the lip spoiler is worth it, they are a couple of hundred dollars new in Fiberglass. Think if it is worth it having a record for that or anything. I am sure your employer will be happy having a car thief working for him or her.

By the way Teeroy, just because the cops are local do you think they are going to turn a blind eye to car theft?

hence the fact i stated i'd rather have the car in the clear as i don't plan on theft, but what i mean is, if the police were to know that the car was going to end up destroyed or whatever, they'd perhaps "donate" parts, and by referring to them as local is that i thought he meant in case other coppers unaware of the "blind eye taking" were to get me.

"a couple hundred dollars" is still out of my price range, especially when that is before prep, paint and fitting.
cheers though.

anyway turns out my mate has seen it parked in the driveway of a local house numerous times (possible place of residence) so i'm hoping i could maybe catch up with the owner and see what the go is, yeah, i'm that keen to score a possible bargain.

be good or be good at it.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Thats the best way. Find the owner and see how you go.

Cops are not going to allow you to borrow parts as they don't own it so not theirs to give.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:55 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

you know I have an EF body kit sitting in the garage right? but then again I do want a few hundred for it. Legit though :P

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:03 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Falcon

VIC, Australia

meh just go take the stuff. You have evidence here that all your interested in doing is salvaging a few parts. And you were asking the neighbours about who owned it.

If it was involved in a serious crime aggravated theft/rape/worse then the cops are doing a s**t job finding a dumped no plate ex taxi ef. If they cant find it on the side of a road how will they find it in your back yard.

Take your bits, remove compliance plates and block numbers then call local wreckers or one of those 'car bodies removed' and they will come get it. By the sounds of this situation nobody will miss this car.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:19 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ba mk2 xr8

NSW, Australia

if ya just guna take the parts do it early in the morning when no body is around just take what you need and get the hell out of there :twisted:

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU Fairlane Sportsman

NSW, Australia

Mate, don't touch it or take anything off it as you can be charged with theft. Go to the local Council and speak to the manager in charge of the rangers. Not the ranger. Explain to him about the car being dumped, tell him that you are interested in the vehicle and see if the council are prepared to let you take the vehicle. Even if you offer to purchase it for the price that they will get from a contractor who normally does the work for council, you might get it. Stealing is stealing whether you intentionally take something or take by finding. In the 70's I rode past a dumped ZC Fairlane out the front of a block of units in Neutral Bay for months until it got the better of me. I went and knocked on the door and asked the caretaker if he knew who owned the car. Turned out this block was the staff quarters for the US embassy staff and he told me that the guy who owned it had been transferred to Canberra. He got back to me about 2 days later and said that I could have the car. I made him take $10 for it and got a receipt. Had it towed home and when I dropped the motor off to have it checked out, it was a genuine 4V 351 Windsor. The car had a FMX and 9 inch. I had the motor done up and we dropped it and the FMX into my '58 Star Model Customline. Not only did I score a great motor with extras, there was a old cavalry sword in the boot tucked up under the rear seat. Sold it for $200 at the time and I was wrapped. Moral to the story, don't just take it, do the right thing and don't get a record for something that's worth about $50

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

drug storage for free?who IS watching it?you may get BURNED.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

spinner1987 wrote:
if ya just guna take the parts do it early in the morning when no body is around just take what you need and get the hell out of there :twisted:

+1, haha

Blue blooded.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

REW93N wrote:
spinner1987 wrote:

+1, haha

+1
i may or may not have done this before. :lol: :lol:

she'll be rite man. :wink:

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:03 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2010 G6E

VIC, Australia

lol atleast i'm not the only one who thinks bad thoughts, my problem is just no motivation to follow through, anyway turns out my mate was right, it wasn't in it's spot and turned up in the driveway of the house he said he'd seen it in, so i'm guessing they just got done driving no plates and ditched til it cooled off.
either way i'm gonna go suss it out and see if they'll part with the kit for a decent price.
can't hurt to ask.
cheers guys for saving me from getting busted half under a car in the middle of the night. :wink:

be good or be good at it.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

teeroy wrote:
lol atleast i'm not the only one who thinks bad thoughts, my problem is just no motivation to follow through, anyway turns out my mate was right, it wasn't in it's spot and turned up in the driveway of the house he said he'd seen it in, so i'm guessing they just got done driving no plates and ditched til it cooled off.
either way i'm gonna go suss it out and see if they'll part with the kit for a decent price.
can't hurt to ask.
cheers guys for saving me from getting busted half under a car in the middle of the night. :wink:

Haha, good thing you have a conscience mate... but that ticky kit will look good on the mont.
Just say to the bloke that its worth nothing now-a-days.

Blue blooded.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:34 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ba mk2 xr8

NSW, Australia

offer him next to nothing for it and a slab nealy workes every time :D

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 2001 AU Ute

VIC, Australia

spinner1987 wrote:
offer him next to nothing for it and a slab nealy workes every time :D

+1
Haha, beer... the real currency of Aus xD

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

bry40l wrote:
my guess is hes thinkingalong the lines of the ed xr6 spoiler on the boot?

Yep, exactly what I was thinking.....well, at the time, anyway. Now that my head is a bit clearer and less inebriated I think I might have been looking at the wrong end of the car! :roll: .

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

in perth the councils used to tow the car back to their own yard if the owner doesnt come and claim it. they then put the car up for tender and sell it off to recover some of the costs of towing and stuff. my bro had a datsun 180b back in the day that needed a few things, and there was one at the gosnells council yards. put in an offer of $50 and it was his. do they still do this? do they not do this over east too?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2