Fordmods Logo

About the different ford 6's and engine retrofit information 

Page 8 of 17 [ 251 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XF Falcon Ute

New Zealand

Hi Guys (and maybe Gals) Just thought I'd add my 2c to help out who/what I can.

Things I KNOW:
AU/BA engines can't run a tin sump, If you look at some of the pictures of the modified sumps you'll see bolt holes that go sideways into the sump. These bolt upto the main bearing caps to increase strength.

BA engines will run off a AU computer and wiring loom. FTG Auto Salvage have done this and proved it works. Unsure of limitations of how well it runs though!

3.9/4.0 OHC (upto EL) will fit into X Series engine bays using either XG (100%) or EA (unsure of personally but commonly stated on verious forums)

If using EA-EL Engine in XF you need to use XG swaybar (Std one will fowl front of sump)

EB1 Ecu's are pre smartlock and can be used when converting EA/B/D MPFI engines (Smartlock can be tricked using a signal wave clamp)

I have had a turboed EF engine in my XF ute, but I have since removed it and am slowly installing a BA turbo engine. I am still using the XG(EA?) engine mounts with some adaptors that raise the height of the mount on the block to lower the engine down to clear the bonnet.
Alternator sits to low and fowls the K frame, so I have notched it (have talk to engineer about it and he has approved it). XG Swaybar still fowls the sump as per all other AU/BA conversions, but I don't want to modifty sump so I'm getting a custom made sway bar.
BA computer is technally possiable, but flash tuner box is at least required and a heavy custom tune (To turn off all unnesscery things ie smartsheild) so I'm going for Wolf V500.
BA DOHC + T5 g/box, Factory BA T5 g/box mount doesn't line up, so you need to make your own. Haven't awnsered my own question of "Will the driveshaft fit?"

I have been told by a Engine builder who builds mainly 4.0 for dirt track use that the VCT AU engine isn't as strong inside as the non VCT XR6 AU engines, So if you have the choice and plan future mods i'd recomend a non VCT Engine.

If required I can post pics of mounts etc, else you can have a look in other Forums where I have posted them already.

Only milk & juice should come in 2Ltr's

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Speaking of BA engines - Mark, can you add this to your initial post ??
BA engine into XF:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34402

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, and looking for some advice. I have an 1990 EA GL wagon, with the 3.9 single point EFI and 4 speed auto. The motor and box are shagged, but the body/trim is cherry. I just scored an '97 ED Futura Classic sedan, 4.0 MPFI and 4 speed auto. I want to swap the motor/g'box/instrument cluster/cruise control, etc from the ED into the EA. I know the 4.0 will work with the EA cpu if I use the EA inlet manifold etc, but I want to use the MPFI. If I use the EA manifolds and cpu, will I be able to use the ED instrument cluster/cruise control, etc? Do I have to use the entire wiring loom from the ED? or just the engine bay harness? Will it be easier if I change everything from the ED to the EA, or should I just swap the manifolds? I'm hoping someone here has done this and can save me a few (try a lot) headaches.

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

thanks for this thread, a lot of useful info in here.

scooty72, i'd probably be inclined to swap all the wiring and electronics over.

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Falcon S6

WA, Australia

questions about sensors au engine into ef:

dissy modual different on au, can i use the au one? the wires seem to come out the front of the engine not out of the top of the modual like the ef...

knock sensor is in a different spot, can i use the ef one? does it fit in where the threaded rod sticks out for the au one?

temp sensor, can i just extend the loom to the rear of the engine where the au one is?

Any help would be nice :)

360 CL Lebaron
Whipple EF

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:40 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

another killer post 2 in a row sweet

Post subject: EL into XG info
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

I have just fitted an EL motor into an XG. The modifications would be the same for an EBII and ED.

Sump - same.

Engine mounts - EL are different, XG bolt straight on.

Harmonic balancer - EL is different, XG bolts straight on (centre bolt has normal right hand thread, puller required to remove balancer). New timing mark needs to be added.

Air con compressor mount - EL is different, XG bolts straight on.

Air con idler pulley mount - EL mount and timing case cover are different, i am told the XG timing case cover bolts straight on which would allow the use of the XG pulley mount. The main but not the only problem with the EL timing cover is it lacks the bottom bolt hole for the mount which is very much needed.

Alternator mounts - EL mounts are different, plus EL block has extra ribs, so XG main alternator mount needs *grinding* to fit.

Alternator - they have the same tangs and are interchangeable, however my EL alternator is 100amps versus XG 70amps.

Water pump - EL is different and suited for thermo fans, XG bolts straight on.

Power steer pump - pumps are the same but pulley is different, can use XG pump, or fit XG pulley to EL pump.

Power steer idler pulley & mount - EL is different, XG bolts straight on.

Dizzy - same, i left the EL one in there and simply plugged in the XG wiring.

Thermostat housing - EL is different, XG bolts straight on. Thermostats are the same though.

Intake manifold - EL is different, XG bolts straight on.

Exhaust manifold - my EL engine did not come with one, but i am told they are the same, XG bolts straight on.

Starter motor - same.

Bell housing, braces & flywheel - same.

In summary a very small amount of grinding is required, the main hardship being the time it takes to swap everything over. Well worth it however to fit a newer motor like this, especially to an XG which has higher value in the marketplace.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Last edited by relaxed_diplomacy on Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:16 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I'll try for more info in later posts, but just to get an idea, will a BA instrument cluster work with an AU series 1 S computer?

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

from what ive seen.

No

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I started the car today and everything seems to be running fine except the motor is low on power, pings at full throttle, and runs hot (at a subtler level it also seems to rev too much when only a small amount of throttle is used when in neutral). The XG dizzy runs base timing of 10degrees BTDC, does anyone know what the EL runs? I hope it is just a matter of adjusting. Otherwise maybe the internals or the modules are different giving different curves, maybe i need to swap my XG dizzy in, not so easy, i sure hope i don't have to take the manifold off again.

Last edited by relaxed_diplomacy on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

[off topic post deleted]

Last edited by relaxed_diplomacy on Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Did you use the BBM manifold? If you did, have you worked out how to get the runners switching over? Also if you use the BBM you will need a accelarator pedal from an EL as they have a different stroke ratio. That would explain you issue re too much throttle for too little movement.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

BenJ wrote:
Did you use the BBM manifold? If you did, have you worked out how to get the runners switching over? Also if you use the BBM you will need a accelarator pedal from an EL as they have a different stroke ratio. That would explain you issue re too much throttle for too little movement.

BenJ

No, i used the XG manifold. This was my first engine swap and i wanted to keep is as standard as possible.

I retarded the timing a few degrees today and it's running much better, good power, less heat, and almost no pinging. I think a tad further and it'll be sweet, i'll just have to lift it up and recog it to get more adjustment.

If the XG and EL module's and dizzy's are the same, it may be the only way my setup is different to a normal XG is the EL motor has higher compression, not sure though. Higher compression would be good because i use LPG most of the time and otherwise will use PULP.

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:20 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
BenJ wrote:

BenJ

No, i used the XG manifold. This was my first engine swap and i wanted to keep is as standard as possible.

I retarded the timing a few degrees today and it's running much better, good power, less heat, and almost no pinging. I think a tad further and it'll be sweet, i'll just have to lift it up and recog it to get more adjustment.

If the XG and EL module's and dizzy's are the same, it may be the only way my setup is different to a normal XG is the EL motor has higher compression, not sure though. Higher compression would be good because i use LPG most of the time and otherwise will use PULP.

the dizzys from ea mpfi to el are the same.
and if your using the el ecu your base ignition timing is 0 deg btdc.
if you are using the xg ecu forget what i said as the xg should be 10 deg btdc

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

[deleted]

Last edited by relaxed_diplomacy on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 17  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next