Fordmods Logo

About the different ford 6's and engine retrofit information 

Page 9 of 17 [ 251 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
the dizzys from ea mpfi to el are the same.
and if your using the el ecu your base ignition timing is 0 deg btdc.
if you are using the xg ecu forget what i said as the xg should be 10 deg btdc

Thanks a lot, that's all handy to know.

Shame i don't have a timing light to know what the EL timing was and what it now is. All i know is i turned the dizzy counter-clockwise and by my impression this has retarded the timing. If it was 0 deg btdc, then it may now be 5 degrees after tdc!? Maybe i need to do that to counter the higher compression? Anyway, i need to get the LPG tuned so i may find out then.

The motor runs so well now, though after some heavy acceleration testing the fuel needle has dropped a lot, but too hard to know really at this stage.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Post subject: Re: EL into XG info
Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

[deleted]

Last edited by relaxed_diplomacy on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
The motor runs so well now, though after some heavy acceleration testing the fuel needle has dropped a lot, but too hard to know really at this stage.

Went for a drive and the fuel needle dropped at least 10 times more quickly than normal, even when switched to LPG, and couldn't find any leaks or petrol smells!? I disconnected the fuel pump power, drove home and reconnected, and the guage seemed to have dropped further!? Maybe the guage is not reading correctly, or is it possible the injectors are leaking badly? The fuel rail may have got contaminated with dust during engine swap process.

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:16 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 95 EF I

VIC, Australia

and it runs ok?

fill the tank, drive for say 50ks and refill at the same pump... will tell you exactly how much its using...

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

zxhoon wrote:
and it runs ok?

fill the tank, drive for say 50ks and refill at the same pump... will tell you exactly how much its using...

Somehow the needle partly resurrected itself, rather than use about 30L to travel about 30km, it now says i used about 15L, . . got me. Yes, good idea, i'll do a consumption check, but seems i can wait till the final tune is done.

I played with the dizzy again and it now seems clockwise retards, i guess i still make simple mistakes. The last adjustment saw it lose power, yet still has top end ping and runs too warm, but sorting some smaller issues might resolve this (i.e. 100% PULP, proper sized exhaust gasket, plugs, maybe leads).

[EDIT 20/03/08 - I have just found out it is important to do the engine "self-test" mode when adjusting the dizzy. I wasn't doing this.]

Would be nice if the timing was a full moment-by-moment self-adjusting closed-loop, but don't know if that's even possible at the moment.

Last edited by relaxed_diplomacy on Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Can a dizzy and an earlier inlet manifold be fitted to the barra? I have read something somewhere about oval shaped ports.

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:01 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

No dizzy cause theres nowhere to put it and nothing to drive it, and yeah ports are oval.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
No dizzy cause theres nowhere to put it and nothing to drive it, and yeah ports are oval.

Thanks. Shame, if you could fit a dizzy i'm thinking you could use a barra kind of easily and cheaply. I imagine you need an appropriate ecu to run the coil packs, no other way?

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
Steady ED wrote:

Thanks. Shame, if you could fit a dizzy i'm thinking you could use a barra kind of easily and cheaply. I imagine you need an appropriate ecu to run the coil packs, no other way?

At the moment, the only ECU's that will run the Barra engines is the factory Black Oak which can be manipulated to work in a non factory engine conversion, and the aftermarket MoTec M800.

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Stepping back to my EL in XG, i have just heard that i need to do the "self test" mode when changing the timing to let the ECU know. I wasn't doing this previously because i'm not using a timing light.

At first startup, when i ran the vehicle with the EL timing unchanged, there was pinging at the top end (full throttle, uphill, hot day), and it ran hot. Should i have kept driving and it would have sorted itself out?

If i don't adjust the timing myself, and the problems don't go away, what then?

With XG base timing of 10degBTDC and EL 0degBTDC, if i really should "set and forget", what should i run? Keeping in mind the EL motor is down a knock sensor, i think.

My preference would be to set it up as best for LPG as possible, but so i can at least do light running on PULP.

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:34 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: '97 Falcon Futura Wagon

VIC, Australia

My first suggestion is to get a timing light. Approx 4 degrees btdc seems to be the best LPG/PULP setup on ELs.
When in the self test mode, after a while, you'll notice the timing will retard (you'll hear it), this is when you need to correct it.

Good luck

Is the noise in my head bothering you? Because the noise in yours is annoying the s**t out of me.
El Futura Wagon - LPG, Wade 1636, Pacy 4499s, hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback, mild shift kit, Sony HU, VDO 100WRMS Splits, Pioneer 30WRMS Coaxs, Pioneer 12" sub, Audioline 300WPMPO amp.

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

The AU engine/crank has larger main bearing journals than E series, although some EL engines also have the larger bearing. All use the same big-end bearing size.

E-series sumps wont fit AU blocks, as the AU's have a cross bolted main cap that bolts thru the side of the sump. You can fit the Au sump into an E-series chassis with a bit of trimming. Look for the info here somewhere.

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I just thought i'd let everyone know that my EL long bare motor is now running very well in my XG. Using PULP, no ping, good power, not running hot, starts easy, runs smooth, good economy. I haven't done many kays, but it's looking like a success.

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:54 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Fairmont AU

SA, Australia

i want to update the engine in my EB I 3.9L to the fuel injected 4.0L

I live in Adelaide, is there any where that can do an outright swap of the engines?

Who do you recommend, and what would be the costs involved.

Thanks

EDIT

Its got a dual fuel setup if that matters aswell

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:56 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: XH XR6

NSW, Australia

Does anyone know if you can put an au engine into an xg by modifying the sump as shown previously. of does that only work for the later model ef,el's.

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 17  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next