Fordmods Logo

Adjustable cam gear question 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Adjustable cam gear question
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

My question is what can I do with this. Running a wade 1763 cam ATM will I be able to gain anything with one.

Post subject: Re: Adjustable cam gear question
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:53 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

87SIlude wrote:
My question is what can I do with this. Running a wade 1763 cam ATM will I be able to gain anything with one.

You can get a bit of gain, just need to dial the cam in according to the specs given by the manufacturer of the cam. That's as far as I know, mine was dialled in with the help of a competent member, however I have long forgotten how to do it.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

it can make the cam run better

i remember when i had my 1521a it had a very lumpy idle, and after dialling it in (only needed 1 deg advance) the idle was noticably alot smoother....... and that was only a 1 degree adjustment

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:49 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 94 XG Falcon ute 4L 5spd

VIC, Australia

well what do you want, retarding the cam gear will give you more go from the bottom so better tourqe, but if you go the other waqy and advance the cam timing you will lose bottom end tourqe but gain top end power, what you are doing is adjusting the valve timing.

To many project's and not enough $$$

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Thereason I ask is cos I have a wade mix cam and a j3 chip and the car pings even tho the timing is almost completely retarded. Was wondering if this could help or maybe I need to get more fuel into her

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

When you say it's completely retarded do you mean the cam timing or the ignition timing?

If you're saying the adjustable cam gear slots are bottomed out in one direction then firstly are you SURE it's actually in the retarded direction (have a good look and think about it all) - and secondly the slots being bottomed means NOTHING if it was set up wrong - ie. the whole gear might be a tooth out or something so that even with the slots bottomed out it's still too far advanced. The slots being bottomed out is REALLY sus just in itself and pretty much guarantees something was done wrong somewhere...

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 94 XG Falcon ute 4L 5spd

VIC, Australia

have been thinking about this and what the last post said make's sense. I would take the plugs out find top dead centre on number 1, take the cap off the dizzy, check to see where the dizzy is, see if its pointing to number one on the cap and take the rocker cover off and see where the cam gear dot is at. with crank at top dead on number one the dizzy should point at number one lead on cap or just a nick past and cam gear dot should be about three degrees above head to rocker box surface intake manifold side, and that should show if your timing is to far advanced eg on tooth out.

To many project's and not enough $$$

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Longreach Ute OutBack

NSW, Australia

If you have the spec sheet for your particular cam,it should give the amount of inlet lobe lift at top dead centre on overlap.This is how it was explained to me on how to time the Crow towing cam I put in my XG:

With all plugs removed to make turning the engine over easier,and the rocker cover removed,bring No.1 piston to Top Dead Centre,lining the mark up on the harmonic balancer with the TDC mark on the timing chain cover.Then putting a dial gauge on the end of No.1 intake rocker arm,turn the crankshaft one full revolution back to TDC.Depending on the inlet lobe lift figure for you particular cam,and the rocker ratio involved,this should be able to get you within a few thousandth's of an inch of being spot on.

My cam had 0.036" inlet lobe lift on the overlap,and with a 2:1 rocker ratio(EBII motor),one revolution back to TDC,gave me a figure of 0.072".Managed to get it to 0.074",and have been very happy with the improved performance and economy.

:)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]