Fordmods Logo

advancing timing in el falcon 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

EF base timing cannot be physically adjusted - it has to be done electronically thru the ECU - ie. with a plug in module.

That gizmo that sits on the EF engine where a distributor normally would be is just a cam phase angle sensor - the ECU looks at the sensor on the crank at the front of the engine to work out what degrees of rotation the crank is at, but any given reading there could be on either intake/compression rotation or power/exhaust rotatation for any given cylinder - ie. such as no. 1 - so that gizmo on the side lets the ECU know which cam phase it's all at -

If you like, you can think of it as telling the ECU which cylinder is actually coming up to TDC compression - and with that info plus a rotational angle on the crank then the ECU knows exactly where the whole engine is at.

Actually I think it's all aimed at determining where no 1 cylinder is.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:03 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the explanation Greenmachine.
The cheep gregories manual i have is a*** in detail :(

The issue i am trying to solve is that my EF I6 pings on unleaded low octain petrol but doesn't on the high octain juice.
In an older car i would just retard the timing but seems that's not possible with the EF.

Would not surprise me that the dealer machined too much off the head when fixing a blown gasket. :x

Cheers.

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Have a real good look at your knock sensor wiring and the connector at the sensor - unplug it and give it a good clean if it looks undamaged - and replug it in (clean out the socket on the sensor too) - next would be to look at replacing the Knock Sensor. The Knock Sensor feedback system should stop pinging under virtually any circumstance (which is why they essentially did away with the ability to manually alter timing) - so it really sounds like a problem there to me.

In short, the EF ignition system is a dynamic real time feedback/sensing setup - the Knock Sensor is integral to the system so if you're getting pinging then it really sounds like a problem there somewhere.

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon 1992 EB II XR6

WA, Australia

Ive got my EB XR6 running at 18 degrees advanced, doesnt seem to ping, and i run it on BP Ultimate, its only got extractors and exhaust and shes pullin 15.1's with a lazy 60 foot time of 2.3 so it should be puliing bout 14.7's so the advanced timing has effected me greatly in performace.

White EL Series II XR8, manual, high flow cats, single 3" exhaust and Quarterhorse = 236rwhp and 14.18@97.5mph

LOWXR - Back to stay - Awaiting forged bottom end

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:57 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks again Greenmachine, your explanation makes sence.
That's one more thing on my list - change fuel filter, flush auto oil, change engine oil, install cruise control, and now check knock sensor :)

In practice, can one test the knock sensor by attaching a timing light and tapping near the sensor with a spanner?
The timing should show the white mark on the front pully retard when tapping and return to normal when not.

In theory this should be possible but the knock sensor seems to be placed in a real awkward place to try such a test.
Is there an accessable and workable location to tap ?
What do you think ?

Cheers.

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hmm - very tricky - it's worth a try I guess. The other thing I'd consider doing is unplug the connector from the sensor - secure the cable so it won't get damaged while driving the car - then go for a drive and see if the engine behaves any different. Sort of similar to the old unplug one ignition lead at a time test - ie. if the engine behaves the same then it's pretty certain that knock sensor is doing squat.

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:06 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Yeh that's probably the easiest to start with, unplug and drive.
Then when it seems to ping more, hit it with something bigger than a spanner :)

You previously mentioned that the EF timing is controlled by the ECU using both a cam and crank angle sensor. In theory you should be able to adjust the cam or crank sensor which should have some effect on the timing, but which one would have the overriding effect ?
I would suspect it would be the crank sensor as the cam limits can be made greater since it just needs to tell the ECU when the piston is near TDC.
But it could be a little hard to move the crank sensor when the engine is running :wink:
Anyway the crank sensor may not have enought meat in the support to make some radial slots to allow adjustment.
What do you think ?

Cheers.

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

hmmm wat is timing? i think i dot an idea of wat it is :P

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2