Fordmods Logo

Advancing Timing on El, good results!!!!!!!!! 

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

stockstandard i do believe youhave been doing to much reasearh on the net and books and not enough hands on i dont care for wat you say i know that it works i have done it many times on the advice of a man that holds many drag racing records in nz and whom if also of great knowlege in these areas so get some hands on you may learn some thing oh and have a happy new year

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

fordluva wrote:
stockstandard i do believe youhave been doing to much reasearh on the net and books and not enough hands on i dont care for wat you say i know that it works i have done it many times on the advice of a man that holds many drag racing records in nz and whom if also of great knowlege in these areas so get some hands on you may learn some thing oh and have a happy new year

Your right, I have done a lot of reading, but I also have hands on experience with the Ford EEC's tuned with tweecer and building, installing, and tuning the ECU thats driving my car now.

There are a couple factors that your not considering. First, accel enrichment is based on the rate of change of the TPS sensor, not the position of it. So simply moving it wont make any difference to the enrichment (it may cause you to move between open/closed loops at different times though). Second, the enrichment only lasts for less than 1/2 a second, so unless this is the only time your pinging, once again no help.

If it worked for you thats great, but it couldnt have worked for the reasons your thinking. Im just trying to tell people that advancing the dizzy till it knocks when accelerating then playing around with the TPS is a really bad idea

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

fordluva wrote:
i dont care for wat you say i know that it works i have done it many times on the advice of a man that holds many drag racing records in nz and whom if also of great knowlege in these areas so get some hands on you may learn some thing oh and have a happy new year

Seeing you don't care what anyone but your drag racing friend tells you there probably isn't much point arguing. But the TPS isn't primarily resonsible for fueling and timing changes on the ford EECIV/V system. It does control acceleration enrichment but rate of TPS change is more important than actual TPS value, therefore the initial setting doesn't matter all that much in this respect.

The other thing it does is tell the EEC to change between closed, partial and wide open throttle. Because the EEC IV/V computers have their closed throttle value hard coded at 1v, incorrectly setting the TPS will have an effect here, but all it normally does is screw up the idle. Oh and before you ask how I know this stuff, I have the Ford factory EEC programing right in front of me with all the TPS maps etc and have had a fair bit of hands on experience too.

Regarding your other comments to hornet about locking your timing, that is absolutly stupid. Firstly why do you want to lock out the timing on a street car, all you do is take away the EECs ability to control the timing screwing up midrange power. Also another comment showing how little you understand these engines is to lock the timing on the ford TFI system you just have to remove the SPOUT wire, a 10 second job.

Drag racers tune their engines completely differently, and they often base their tuning primarily off the TPS. It is not the same for a street engine.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
Drag racers tune their engines completely differently, and they often base their tuning primarily off the TPS. It is not the same for a street engine.

Thats a good point. If its a race EFI engine it could be running AlphaN (Fuel injection based on RPM and TPS only with no metering of air with MAP or MAF). Not the way youd want to tune a street car, and you need to swap to an aftermarket ECU that supports it.

Happy new year.
Back to the beer!

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Post subject: XG UTE
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: VX SS II M6

QLD, Australia

Oi I have a mate who has a XG ute only mods are extractors, still stock exhaust, but Guts smashed out of a cat converter, yes he is dodgy prick,
I raced him the other night he beat me off the line, He stuffs around with timming and the motor is pretty flogged out 4L.
I thought I should have flogged him, it was only 1 race though and had been driving in enconomy for while.

My car Ef fairmont: extractors, redback exhaust, cold air induction, chiptorque chip.

LS1 power is the way the truth and the light!!

Post subject: Re: Advancing Timing on El, good results!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:35 pm 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

falcon4litreOHC wrote:
I advanced the timing on the EL (stock timing is plus or minus 2 degrees from TDC). Running on premium fuel now........

Advanced it to about 4-5 degrees BTDC and the car accelerates better off the line and has a little bit more grunt.

Cheap mod for El owners, sorry EF owners the old coil packs required a chip ( very pricey)........

Yeah it's a nice tweak for the EB/ED/ELs - good for the strip...but how's your economy ? :wink:

Vic Cruises & Events

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2