Fordmods Logo

Advice needed on my EA project 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Advice needed on my EA project
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA 5 speed

NSW, Australia

Well I've done a lot of thinking, reading, researching and I have a few questions I want your advice on.

I have a 3.9 EA 5 Spd MPI. It has FTRs, lowered springs, 2.5" cat back, tint, stereo etc - ie. nothing major. Over the next year (or two) I am really considering throwing a lot of money at it.

Planned mods:

AU engine rebuilt with low comp rods/pistons, Snort Stage 3 turbo kit, whiteline suspension all round (other brands for the stuff whiteline doesn't make), HD clutch, Lokka/strengthened LSD.

What I want to is if I go to all this effort, is the AU engine rebuilt my best choice? Or would a different bottom and top end give better results? Doing this on a budget, I was thinking of buying a head already ported and polished etc for maximum flow, and maybe just building a stronger bottom end. Your thoughts on buying the AU engine complete and rebuilding or going with a different motor.

Also, I was thinking once buying the kit I run it on the EA motor until I have sufficient funds to get the newer motor built.. Any problems here? Compression in the EA is already fairly low, I know I won't get the most performance out of it but hey, it would be good until I get the real motor sorted out. Things I should know?

Any particular clutch/flywheel recommendations? XR6t parts will fit? or aftermarket?

the 5 speed will have to be strengthened I'm guessing... I don't know much about this at all, any help would be greatly appreciated. Different box or strengthened original?

Ideas on the diff? Was thinking of a lokka but apparently they're difficult at low revs (never driven one though) - or could the factory LSD be strengthened/replaced?

Obviously I'll be upgrading the brakes and suspension.. not to sure on the brakes yet but prolly whiteline for suspension..

And ECU? what would I be using? Wolf? Does Cappa have a suitable one?

Anyway, as you can see I have a big build ahead of me...

If you could help with the decisions re motor, and the gearbox, it would be greatly appreciated..

Also, I have heared mixed but generally good things about snort.. any ideas on other poassible products? I read somewhere of a kit with the t70 but didn't seem as good as the Snort stage 3.. I'm not really set on any type/brand turbo so open to all ideas..

goal is to build a mean street car which will see occasional track useage... all types of motorsport - circuit, drift, drag. Don't really care about a kw figure as long as it is useable throughout the majority of the revs range and not coming in massively at the death..

I think I'm on the right track but knowledge isn't as extensive as you'd want it to be to build something of this nature, so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance, James.

the rearing serpent sports in the mists
the flying dragon rides on the clouds
but when the clouds are gone
and the mists have cleared
they are no different from earthworms

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Buy a silvia/180 as per posts on performance forums.

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

aha ur from eseries also, nice ride you have mate. Yeh I was considering the other options but I want something more unique than a silvia/180/skyline etc. So yeh.. I just want to get all the advice I can on going turbo on the eseries so I can thoroughly make my mind up, because if performance/costs are fairly similar I'd take the falcon any day...

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

When you get into the good bits the silvia's are really really cheap.

Check out TUFED6's silvia thread on boostedfalcon.net for idea of the cheapness.

It would be pretty tough for a falcon to outhandle one and they go pretty well.

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:43 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

For your engine build give Joe a Call @ Crescent MotorSports ( phone number listed below in my sig ) , he can help you in the right direction / advice for your engine/turbo Idea's Jame's

Dave :D

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:16 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

F**k read the build thread, gee it is cheap do do that.. mind you I'd be able to get the turbo sorted cheap but i'd have to pay in full for the rebuilt motor..

makes you think.. although the ea only set me back 1700 with all the bits mentioned above, the turbo kit alone would take it up to around 6k, then all the other gizmos i wanted and the rebuild..

buy a s13 with the sr20det for about 8k or so, simply up the boost and it'd be going sideways quite nicely...

thanks for the head up... still keen on the falcon though. 6'4 whiteboy in a silvia hmmm i just don't like the picture in my head aha.. neways thanks dan, and thanks dave for the contact. Will definitely be brainstorming and researching over the next week :)

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:23 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

when you think about bang for buck the s13 really does kick a**.. pretty much beats the falcon in everything but space but fails the test of riceness... hmm aha. guess the silvia is the wiser option of the two. maybe the falcon goes on gas for a daily and the silvia as the night/weekend/track machine? liking that idea already :) :) :)

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

drop a ba xr6 turbo in it....

should pickup complete convo for $5000

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

na mate i doubt it.. most blokes on the eseries site have had quite a few problems with it. I think it would be sensible to keep the EA as a daily on gas and go s13 sr20det for the fast bits..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]