Fordmods Logo

Advice on a 3.9L or 4.0L ?? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Advice on a 3.9L or 4.0L ??
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

My 91 EA has a stock 3.9L which is in good condition but i have the option of installing a stock 4.0L which might have some issues. Would it be worth going through all the trouble of rebuilding the 4.0L and changing the engines over, or should i just stick with the 3.9L and spend some money on it?

91' Rosewood EA S-pack, King supa lows - monroe gas, Extractors - 2.5" exhaust, Pod filter, 15" black/polished Globes.

WTB: Rear window louvre, EL front bar, EA bonnet-Rosewood (maroon), BBM+Air intake, EL ECU.

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Fairlane NC

VIC, Australia

stick with the 3.9. its not that big a dif between the engines to warrant all the stress and costs of a conversion let alone it might have problems. money much better spent on ur 3.9 if its in good nick.

NC Fairlane Ghia. AU engine. Pacemaker 4499. 2.5" Redback Zorst, tints, red dash. 17in ba xr (e-series). Suzuki Across (suzi) Sexy in Black

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

I tend to agree, i just don't know enough about the engines to know the differences in performance potential. i have all the wiring and the ecu, rebuilds are not that hard and i would be happy to convert if the 4.0L has greater potential over the 3.9L.

91' Rosewood EA S-pack, King supa lows - monroe gas, Extractors - 2.5" exhaust, Pod filter, 15" black/polished Globes.

WTB: Rear window louvre, EL front bar, EA bonnet-Rosewood (maroon), BBM+Air intake, EL ECU.

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Capacity difference is only 35ml. Most of the performance gains ford got from head & intake design.

You'd do better converting your 3.9 to a BBM

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Ok, this going to make quite a few people chuckle but what is BBM?? :lol:

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Fairlane NC

VIC, Australia

Broad Band Manifold. its the fancy curly wizzbang intake manifold they started using from ef onwards. basically it has 2 different paths the air can flow which is operated by a vacume switch and the ecu (so youd have to put and ef or equiv ecu in)depending on the RPM.

personally i'd recomend a big cam but BBM can be a good upgrade if you can be bothered. (coming from a person with an AU engine and no BBM)

NC Fairlane Ghia. AU engine. Pacemaker 4499. 2.5" Redback Zorst, tints, red dash. 17in ba xr (e-series). Suzuki Across (suzi) Sexy in Black

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

There was a good Autospeed article called
"Awakening the Aussie Ford Six" on the net, that
talks about the engines EA to EL etc....
Try a google search on it, or I have a pdf if that fails.

There's also the old saying..
"If it aint broke, why fix it"

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:06 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hi
i agree with mad max .. if your 3.9 is in good cond dont worry about changing engines just put the bbm and convert it to a el ecu,,,

there isnt much difference in power from the ea 3.9 to the eb 4.0..

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

I see..... Thanks for the good advice and suggestions,
I will look into it abit more, amd explore some options.

EB92 is right in saying "If it aint broke, don't fix it"
But just like Tim the tool man say's "More power, argh argh argh"

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Sorry for the double post, but if i did follow the BBM option, is it as simple as bolting it on and removing my original ECU and replacing it with the EL ecu? or is there some hidden modification required? What would the approx. cost be for all required components?

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

keep the 3.9 for sure. When fitted with an AU headgasket and head bolts they are bullet proof.

Also i think the extra 8kw from the 4.0L was becuase of a different cam profile. Can anyone confirm??

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

fordzatmyplace wrote:
keep the 3.9 for sure. When fitted with an AU headgasket and head bolts they are bullet proof.

Also i think the extra 8kw from the 4.0L was becuase of a different cam profile. Can anyone confirm??

Do you mean the actual head or just the gasket and head bolts?
If the power gain in the 4.0L is because of the cam, would it go into the 3.9L (doubt it, but never know)

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:02 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hi
the 4.0 cam will fit straight in but keep the 3.9 head because they have smaller combustion chamber and the ports and valves are the same as 4.0 anyway...but using the au head gasket is the way to go ...
a 4.0 head has a larger combustion chamber and you will loose a little compression giving you less power..

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
hi
the 4.0 cam will fit straight in but keep the 3.9 head because they have smaller combustion chamber and the ports and valves are the same as 4.0 anyway...but using the au head gasket is the way to go ...
a 4.0 head has a larger combustion chamber and you will loose a little compression giving you less power..

Ok sweet, what sort of difference will the 4.0L cam make in the 3.9L?

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

Maroon S-Pack wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
hi

Ok sweet, what sort of difference will the 4.0L cam make in the 3.9L?

don't bother with a 4.0L cam. If you are going to go to the trouble of replacing a cam, you might as get one that will give you the most where you want it. The wade 1636 is a popular profile that will give you a nice power boost over the 4.0L and still have a nice idle. And yes, AU headgasket and head bolts will fit the 3.9

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next