Fordmods Logo

advice on neglected EL engine 4.0L 

Page 8 of 9 [ 121 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post subject: Re: advice on neglected EL engine 4.0L
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL sedan gli

QLD, Australia

Satisfaction....... I am still grinning ear to ear. Nothing like the sound of a ford i6.
the hard lines are straight now, no kinks.

So that's it...just need to wash the car now.

Stock EL Gli Sedan, Tickford 98 EL/AU Hybrid Swapped in after aux shaft failure due to a lazy mechanic who can't service cars and aftermarket distributor-of-death-made-in-china crap.
Soon to be: The FalcMont - Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=120773

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:40 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Question: the donor engine was from a fairlane. Now these have a oil pressure gaugeand not an idiot light? I assume there is an oil pressure sender on it and an oil pressure switch on the old engine for the idiot light. The idiot light won't go out. Can I throw in a dash with the oil pressure gauge and it will work? Or is there more to it than that?

Stock EL Gli Sedan, Tickford 98 EL/AU Hybrid Swapped in after aux shaft failure due to a lazy mechanic who can't service cars and aftermarket distributor-of-death-made-in-china crap.

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Another question: there is quite a bit of vibration in gear at idle? What are the things to check here?
Other than that, everything is going great! I am just waiting for the eec to learn the new sensors. I noticed though the auto shifts like a dream, so smooth and quiet. The new engine kicks a$$! So much more power than the old one. I might read the codes from the eec in a few days to see if it has thrown any codes.

I am really impressed with my handywork....

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:26 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

a vibration in gear at idle is usually saged or bottomed out engine mounts...

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:41 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Sounds like a good place to start. Looks like it has the original hydraulic mounts on it. Can these still be bought or do I need to get those kelpro rubber blocks?

Installed a trip computer yesterday. While cruising it works, but if I accelerate the instant consumption jumps up to ridiculous figures like 50-60, whe.n I back right off it drops to 2 then while cruising at 60km/h it sits at 7-15. Pretty weird though I have never had a trip computer before so this could be normal?

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:51 am 

NSW, Australia

you can still get both hydraulic and rubber mounts,
the trip coputer is supposed to do that, thats how it gets an average reading from the instant reading....

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:20 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Okay, so the trip computer is all good. I will check out the pricing on a pair of mounts. Looking at the average consumption gives me 13.8 to 100km is this good for around town? I may be a little heavy footed but I don't break traction.Is there a method for testing the hydraulic mounts?

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:52 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

caseyaberhart wrote:
Okay, so the trip computer is all good. I will check out the pricing on a pair of mounts. Looking at the average consumption gives me 13.8 to 100km is this good for around town? I may be a little heavy footed but I don't break traction.Is there a method for testing the hydraulic mounts?

How many kilometers have you done since you've put the trip computer in? If you have only done 50km since installing and only did around town driving, then that's not too bad. I get about 13L/100km around metro only. Mixed, I get about 11L/100km, highway only 6-7L/100km. So depends on how and where you drive.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

caseyaberhart wrote:
Sounds like a good place to start. Looks like it has the original hydraulic mounts on it. Can these still be bought or do I need to get those kelpro rubber blocks?

Looking at the pics of your install, you used the Oil Filled Mounts from the new motor. The mount on the drivers side looks sus. Look at the mount in the bay and see if the upper part of the mount is touching the bottom section. It has protusions from the top section. The mount colapses from heat from the exhaust and the metal touches transmitting vibration from the engine to the sub frame. The drivers side is easy to change with the motor in. Undo the mount, put a jack under the engine, ensure that you put it in a position that you don't crush the sump. You can use the mount from the old motor to replace it. You don't need to use the oil filled type but in my opinon they are better. Ensure that you fit the bheat shield that mounts on top of the drivers side mount if you fit an oil filled type of mount. New oil filled type mounts are around $200.00 each. If you do source some ensure that they are for E series as the AU are slightly different.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-EF-FAIR ... 337f0c37c1

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:55 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Driven 82km so far phongus.

Thanks SWC I will get onto it as soon as I have some cash. It won't hurt anything for a few weeks right?

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:53 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

the engine is starting to earn mytrust.... I wrung its neck today and it fk flies conpared to the stocko. Cant wait for a proper ecu and fuel reg. Hehe

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:55 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Bumpage:

Picked up a monty parts car for 200 bucks. Going to swap interiors, got the mid series cluster and good condition steering wheel in it. I will probably find other goodies too.

Will the bonnet grille fit on a gli or does the whole bonnet and bar have to be swapped over?

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:45 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

caseyaberhart wrote:
Bumpage:

Picked up a monty parts car for 200 bucks. Going to swap interiors, got the mid series cluster and good condition steering wheel in it. I will probably find other goodies too.

Will the bonnet grille fit on a gli or does the whole bonnet and bar have to be swapped over?

Need to change the whole front end I believe. head lights, bar and bonnet.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:27 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

okay, cheers for that. i will use the search button more often as this has been done a few times before i believe.

time for a new build thread??

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:25 am 

NSW, Australia

yes, start a build thread.... :D

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 9  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next