Fordmods Logo

Advice re clutch point; cable adjust? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Advice re clutch point; cable adjust?
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:58 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 96 coon

NSW, Australia

After welding pedal box back after the clutch pedal bent and reattatching all accessories so it went smooth my clutch is playing up again.

What has happened over last 3 months or so is that the clutch engage/release point is moving further and further to the floor, so much so now that i have to floor the clutch 100% to get it into gear and it will engage the gear no more than say 1cm off the floor of the car.

Since the clutch doesn't slip I am presuming that it is the cable mechanism. (bear in mind I had this work done by a mate who is out of town hence I have to now do it myself or wait for another mate to become available - sunday)

So to adjust the clutch cable, I jack the car up and adjust the nut connecting the cable to the transmission? This is what I have been told - rotate it clockwise about 3 turns and check to see clutch release point. Right or wrong?

Also is the cable connection to the tranny on the passenger or drivers side of engine bay? Save me jacking up twice..

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Advice re clutch point; cable adjust?
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:34 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon

VIC, Australia

Im going to assume we are talking about an eseries falcon here? :P

if it is you should have 2 nuts on the cable where it comes throught the firewall, loosen the outside one off, then tighten the inner one, i usually do around 3 turns, then lock the outside one back down onto it. best to do it while the cars cold, lost track of how many times ive burnt myself on the extractors :shock:

If its still doing it after the pedal box weld up, it could be bending again, or maybe the cable is just stretching?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]