Fordmods Logo

aftermarket ecu 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: aftermarket ecu
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF FAIRMONT

VIC, Australia

hey just wondering what ecu is going to be best suited to my needs. yes i have read the aftermarket ecu review and have spoken to a couple of tuners. but have still not got a straight answer. i wont to run all stock ford sensors just tap into the wiring loom and run a piggy back setup. also at this stage it is just a tune to run premium fuel and to better suit my cam. but with the futher option of forced induction or maybe just a massive cam that my stock ecu cant run later on. also can aftermarket ecu handel auto shifts. rev limiter is a pain in the a** in drive with my foot nailed. currently looking at ems stinger any sugestions. thenk guys

WOLF V500, t66(ar70 compressor), rochester 550cc injectors, borgg 265l fuel pump, 48mm turbosmart gate, turbosmart plumb back bov, 600x300x100 cooler, 3 inch zorst , 3.45 lsd, xr6 head, wade 1604 cam, adjustable cam gear, K&N pod filter, on 10psi and manual convertion exedy button clutch. 285.6rwkw

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

have u looked in2 wolf 3d's? they have a good website, check em out

Fact: Chuck Norris is so fast he can run around the world and hit himself in the back of the head

ED Falcon
XF Falcon
Toyota Hilux

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:20 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

if you want to be able to tune it, something like a wolf, some skill involved, esp with setting it up.

but by the sounds of it, may be a capa flash tune, as its just for fuel, cam, exhaust etc. but if you want it cxhanged in the future you have to go back to capa.

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Just about anything will do the job.

Wolf are good, but with the little bit of playing around I have done the EMS software is easier to use. EMS have also been used on lots of falcons, so support should be good.

No ECU will control the ford auto. That may not even be possible with an edit or chiptorque (due to lack of support).

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:37 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

SA, Australia

i would recomend autronic...its not piggy back but it will handle anythin u throw at it from standard sensors 2 a custom turbo or super charge system....check out www.autronic.com.au it may cost a bit more now but benifiets later on r huge!!!!

*WARNING*
Small Jap Imports May Be Ingested.

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:40 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

INDUCT wrote:
i would recomend autronic...its not piggy back but it will handle anythin u throw at it from standard sensors 2 a custom turbo or super charge system....check out www.autronic.com.au it may cost a bit more now but benifiets later on r huge!!!!

It wont run the 4sp, so it will still need to "piggyback" the EEC - just like all other aftermarket ECU's.

And no, flash tunes aren't aftermarket ECU's.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:51 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

SA, Australia

yes that is true so nothing won or lost there....check out th autronic website...look at th list of features on both th sm4 an smc models an they will beat any other ecu in value 4 money an quality....an if u r worried about tech support u wont find any on th autronic until u buy 1...they host a private forum that is stacked with info, tips an ppl 2 help u out....

*WARNING*
Small Jap Imports May Be Ingested.

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Lots of people are attracted to ecu's with a big feature list. In most cases all it ends up doing is costing you more.

For example, the $500 MS2's I use will work with the standard sensors, ignition system and injectors. You can wire it piggyback to keep the auto trans working. You can tune up to 21psi of boost. It gives you real time tuning and data logging, self tuning and wideband O2 support. You simply cant get better bang for buck than that.

Spend double the price and you get a commercial ECU with similar specs (EMS Stinger etc). Spend 5 times as much and you get fancy feature like sequential efi, traction control, etc.

But really if all you want to do is retune the engine and maybe be able to handle boost down the road it makes very little difference what hardware you buy. Budget ECU's will do the job just as well as top of the line products. The hardest part might be finding somebody who wants to tune it, so that is where you should often start.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Stockstandard is on the money.

A lot of features in these fancy ECU's dont get used.

People say the driveability is better from the high end ECU's but I have been in cars with haltech's, wolf's and microtech's and they all run just as well as each other. The wolf powered car had a crap cold start which annoyed me a lot.

The next ECU I will buy will be autronic but only because I want dual VCT capability and none of the other ECU's bar motec will do it properly.

At the moment Im building a megasquirt to run the same engine minus dual VCT.

If you are going to turbo your car down the track get something with decent boost control, antilag and launch control. This will stop you having to spend big on an electronic boost controller. Get something that can control an 02 sensor or accept one as an input so you can datalog.

ECU's with autotuning seem pretty useful as well.

If it was me I would be choosing either an autronic SM4, EMS 8860, Wolf V500, microtech or megasquirt in that order. Motec would be on the top of the list if I was rich.

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:19 am 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
No ECU will control the ford auto. That may not even be possible with an edit or chiptorque (due to lack of support).

Apologies on the thread mining - Wolf (AEMS) currently have one of their new V500 ECUs controlling a BTR 4 spd...so it should just be a matter of time before they get it right and make it available...current test mule is an EF I think.

Vic Cruises & Events

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]