Fordmods Logo

Ahhh major help needed!! Opinions please. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Ahhh major help needed!! Opinions please.
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Hey guys just got my XR serviced and thought i would do a full safety check as well.... Turns out my XR is a heap of s**t!!! :? Na joking just a few major concerns arose when they told me about the problems they found with it. Heres the list-

* Oil leak coming from head gasket- Oil leaks are all over the engine so a steam clean is in order to see where the leak is actually comming from :shock: (however my car hardly uses ne oil) infact except for one time i have only needed to top it up like once a month not even that!
* Power steering arms leaking fairly badly (usualy needs a top up once a fortnight)
* Muffler is completely F***!
* Small oil weep coming from LHS axle
* Trans needs a FULL oil flush and service as oil is fairly worn out
* Tune up due fuel filter, plugs leads and injectors need to be replaced/cleaned
* New front brake pads needed
* Handbrake cable is F***!
* Need new front tyres and relignment and balnace etc.
* Rear main needs to be fixed Again!!!

Well i have a snowballs chance in hell of getting this all done and paid for in the one shot, so i was wondering what would be the first things i should fix/replace.

And is there ne thing that i shouldnt really worry about or does it all sound pretty bad... And just to add, some of this stuff i wouldnt even notice while im driving except for the power steering and tyres. But everything else well was a big surprise. :shock:

Thanks guys help would be appreciated.

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

* Oil leak coming from head gasket- Oil leaks are all over the engine so a steam clean is in order to see where the leak is actually comming from (however my car hardly uses ne oil) infact except for one time i have only needed to top it up like once a month not even that!

do it later

* Power steering arms leaking fairly badly (usualy needs a top up once a fortnight)

fix it, unless u can manage it

* Muffler is completely F***!

don't worry unless cops pull u over, but big fine if they do

* Small oil weep coming from LHS axle

fix, as the oil will get to ur disc and f**k brakes

* Trans needs a FULL oil flush and service as oil is fairly worn out

do it as tranny will die otherwise

* Tune up due fuel filter, plugs leads and injectors need to be
replaced/cleaned

do it later as it won't nothin apart from make it run s**t

* New front brake pads needed

do ti now

* Handbrake cable is F***!

is it manual or do u live in hilly area, yes fix it.

* Need new front tyres and relignment and balnace etc.

do it

* Rear main needs to be fixed Again!!!

leave it until it goes, unless they can do it alot cheaper now.

and ur car isn't a heap of s**t it is just u have bad luck that all ur stuff as come in all at once.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR6

SA, Australia

Quote:
Oil leak coming from head gasket- Oil leaks are all over the engine so a steam clean is in order to see where the leak is actually comming from (however my car hardly uses ne oil) infact except for one time i have only needed to top it up like once a month not even that!

worry about this later. Either when your head cracks or you want the engine replaced.

Quote:
Power steering arms leaking fairly badly (usualy needs a top up once a fortnight)

Had this problem myself. Needs repair.

Quote:
Muffler is completely F***!

I was under the impression you were replacing your exhaust soon.

Quote:
Trans needs a FULL oil flush and service as oil is fairly worn out

Mine too. Needs attention. If unattended will have a T5 in six months. HAHAHA

Quote:
New front brake pads needed

Time for some greenstuff pads.

Quote:
Handbrake cable is F***

Mine too. Use P instead of N when car is stationary.

Cant much help with the rest of the stuff. Looks like you need a one grand service.

Not lost any demerit points

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Agreed.

Trany tranny tranny. Get this flushed and serviced ASAP. The BTR dont like average fluid condition... less than $100

Oil leak from axle...

Front pads i reckon you could do yourself. Worth checking if discs are within spec/need machining.

Front tyre and wheel alignement... should cost less than $200

Power steering.. does the rack need replacing or can the seals be fixed?

Tune up. Wont cost much and you can do this yourself - i.e. fuel filter, plugs, leads, oil and filter change. Injector cleaning a minor luxury, put it last.

Head - wait and see approach I reckon... so long as no coolant loss and only minor oil weep.... but monthly oil top up a little to frequent IMO - is this normal for an I6?

f**k the handbrake, get it adjusted next time you have rear rotors replaced.

f**k the exhaust, you're getting a full system eventually (lol, looks like this will be put off...)

Dont stress tho -we've all got lists of s**t that needs doing... i wont go into mine.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
...Dont stress tho -we've all got lists of s**t that needs doing... i wont go into mine...

Too bloody right, ive had my car getting "serviced" for 3 days so far, still need 2 more days to finish it off, service should be fin by 15th but lol - i do not wish to say how much it cost the cross everything on my list; altho its like a brand new car hehe - everything servicable has been. :cry:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Okay thanks for the replys guys its very much appreciated. Well after a talk to my dad and his brother he went thru the list of things that need to get done and basically i.. we have come to the conclusion that i have been completely fkn stooged!!!!! :?

Where to start... Hmm the oil leak yes well as i said it very rarely needs an oil top up, i stress i have topped the oil up probally 3 times since i have had the car in 10 months!!!

If their were leaks everywhere not only would i notice it if i were parked on a concrete surface but the driving performance would feel extremly deteriorated! and neither of the above has risen since buying the car.

Except for the rear main their are no visable leaks under the car!!! :x

The power steering will be getting fixed as thats one thing i have noticed, the brakes and handrake and exhaust, tune up etc. I already knew of.

The tryes well one needs to be replaced not two, i checked them myself and they said i have two different treads!!! WTF i bought the car with thoses tyres and im sure it wouldnt of been bought if thier were wrong tread patterns on the car. :x

The reason for the transmission being golden brown in color is that fact that the torque converter oil was not changed when i had the serive done which was only 3 and a half months ago!!!! Na ah BS thier, i also used oil that is quite possibly the best oil out thier also. The gearbox also feels strong and i cannot notice any faults in it. :roll:

Im taking it to my other mechanic (the one i usually go to) as he just quit the business but still works from home. So i had to go to another guys locally (yes i was taking a gamble) however the one i usually go to i can trust and he would not rip me off.

So within the next week i will know for sure whether its all BS or not but im pretty damn certain that they are trying to stooge me. I also have alot of other reasons why this safety check is BS but i already written enough so yeah.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks guys.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

I still vote for a full transmission flush. Anything other than red/pink and it needs doing IMO. Golden brown not good.
You wont notice faults with burnt fluid... you'll notice faults when the burnt fluid causes physical damage...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah well im getting the pads ,tyres done next week and then im getting the mechainc to check over the rest of the list to find out what needs to be done first but yeah transmission is definately on the list of things to do.

Im so fkn stressed atm :(

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Fit a speedy sleeve over rear main or it will leak again...Approx $40.00

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah well i only just got it fixed not long ago, im sure the guy said he put a speedy sleeve on the rear main when it was fixed mabe he ment just the normal rear main was fixed :? and no speedy sleeve grrr.

Also if the Power steering arms are leaking whats involved when fixing this is it just replacing the seals etc or does the whole unit need to be completely reconditioned again... :?

Hopefully the warrantee will cover that, not sure about the rest of the stuff thou.

Thanks again

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]