Air Bag 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: air bag
Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef fairmont,

QLD, Australia

you are right but also wrong there is seatbelt pretnsioners on the au's and the fairlanes and fairmont ghias from series 2 upwards do have side airbags as an option as i have personally replaced them , and with the seatbelt pretensioners they are piss weak you are right saying they pull the seat belt clip down when set off but by no means are as powerfull as a normal steering whell ,passanger or side air bag cause at the dealership i work at we set the warranty ones off for fun every six months or so and those u can hold onto but put 7 side airbags in one 44gallon drum and watch it go over 10 feet in the air now thats fun :D :lol: :wink:

95 ef montfor sale pm for info, 88 hilux mud truck

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

96 XH I6 Longreach ute. ?? they don't have a passenger airbag .. only on the steering wheel

Post subject: Re: air bag
Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:02 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH Ute

WA, Australia

horis wrote:
i found the most common is the air bag fuse blows and then it will flash a code 12 i think all you have to do is replace the fuse and go to your local ford dealership to get the code removed and hey presto its fixed i found that on my ef fairmont and girlfreinds ef gli and been a ford mechaic i get quite a few come in with that problem 10 min fix thats all :D :lol: :wink:

The fuse was blown... Replaced ok.. Now have fault saying short in air bag system.. Will pull apart all the plug joiners i can find, then it may be a trip to a Ford dealer. Checked the sensor in front of the radiator panel .

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

the fuse blew for a reason. to just replace it and send it on it's way is pretty silly.
the clockspring usually fails in ef's, and a tell-tale sign is if you see small copper filings on the steering column shroud.
does your horn work? if it has cruise, does it work?

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH Ute

WA, Australia

smoke_rubber wrote:
the fuse blew for a reason. to just replace it and send it on it's way is pretty silly.
the clockspring usually fails in ef's, and a tell-tale sign is if you see small copper filings on the steering column shroud.
does your horn work? if it has cruise, does it work?

Sorry..only going by horis suggestion.
Horn still works. Cruise still works. Cruise has always had a minor prob in that you need to press the minus then plus switch to activate.

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:19 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA falcon

SA, Australia

is it normal for the airbag light not 2 be on?

Real Men Smoke Rubber

Post subject: air bag
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

smokin_rubber the fuse blows due to a low battery voltage as a safety precaution to prevent the air bag from deployin. nicebus take the car to a ford dealership and get them to aplly a cams tester as its called (used for codes tests and diagnostics simlar to a pds-portable dianostic system or a wds world diagnostic system) and in 5 mins they can remove the code your cars is probally flashin a 52 or simlar my mont did it and have had no probs since (percs of workin for ford got all the gear at my fingertips so hopefully that gets u out of this mess :D :lol: :wink:

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Nah, I suspect he has a hardwire code (as I mentioned earlier). He'll need to fix before the system will reset.
From what he says, it sounds like code 34 (airbag short).
It could be the clockspring as mentioned earlier, but I'd suspect a plug has dislodged from the road shocks - the airbag certainly has a shorting tab when disconnected - possibly the other connectors may do too - there are other connectors between the clockspring and airbag control unit (diagnostic monitor). I'd start by unplugging and plugging in the airbag, and see if the code goes away.
Bear in mind when the actual fault is fixed, you'll still get codes 12 and/or 52, which can be reset.

EDIT: I need to change steering wheels on the XH, so I'll check out whether the other connector plugs short when disconnected.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: fairmont

VIC, Australia

my fairmont was originally flashing 21 (Diagnostic Monitor Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly). I found it had a blown fuse now it flashes 52. Can i reset the codes myself by shorting the airbag memory clear pin to ground or should i leave that to FORD?

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yeah ya can reset ya self thats just a repaired code

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon

New Zealand

check your reverse lights, i had a prob with my airbag light, turns out when the fuse for the reverse lights blew, the airbag warning light comes on as this fuse was a backup for the airbags. This was in a ef wagon though, could be different wiring though. Unfortunately i cant remember what code came up on mine

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: fairmont

VIC, Australia

im having trouble with my air bag light at the moment, i replaced the airbag fuse which was blown and now i get code 52, i have tried to reset by shorting the fourth pin from the left-top row to ground and it hasnt worked for me. am i doing something wrong?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2