Air con and fuel 

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

castlegreyskull wrote:
yeah i can simpathise with the tafe fees that have just hit, broke broke broke!!!

damn tafe fees!! i shall prob be doing the same, for a few weeks anyway.

Yeah I'm used to uni where you don't pay fees while you are actually studying. The amount of textbooks you need at tafe is less, which is nice.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

work only just decided yesty that i have tp pay for all fees/books and the sort. damn them!!!

sort of catches u off guard when it all comes at once...

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

castlegreyskull wrote:
work only just decided yesty that i have tp pay for all fees/books and the sort. damn them!!!

sort of catches u off guard when it all comes at once...

That and it's hard for me to come out of a shopping centre without buying something, lol. Though today I went in to pay my Telstra mobile bill, and that's all I did! yay.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Even with th AC off and the windows up you will not notice a huge saving in fuel consumption. We're not talking about the old piston compressors of the 70's here. New compressors are far more efficient, yes they do use a small amount of fuel to run, but its worth it to be comfortable.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XTS, BF Xr6 Turbo Ute

QLD, Australia

Idling in the car park the other day I decided to see just how much fuel my air con uses. With air con on the car used 2.4 litres per 100km, with the air con off the car idled at around 1.7 or 1.8 . . . . . Overall not a huge difference. Personally i prefer the comfort, but i try not to use it when not neccessary. (these figures are from a ba 6cyl)

Ford Fan: Since 1987 - Born a Blue Oval Supporter!

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: falcon

SA, Australia

Till_Lind wrote:
Lol, awww, well what are more ways to save fuel? Besides the driving like a grandma bit.

how bout getting a push bike!!

i cant be bothered thinking of something to write here

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: egas bf xt

NSW, Australia

Take a racing line from corner to corner.

Use your horn more at interesections - thus negating the need to stop & start.

Avoid slowing down for traffic, use the footpath. Im sure the people using it could do with a bit of excitment in their everyday lives.

Also, you may find it finincially beneficial to hire some immigrant chinese fellas to help push your car if for any reason you need anymore than to breath on the accelerator to make it move. At 10c/hour, you can use them 5 hours a day, 365 days a year, and it will cost you only $180!!!

:P

On a more serious note, i heard somewhere that accelerating quicly to the speed limit, is actually better than crawling to it, as your spending less time accelerating, and your using a more efficient part of the engines rev range. Anyone else heard anything on this?

I can see through wooden doors.

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA2 'Mont

VIC, Australia

Aposta87 wrote:
Idling in the car park the other day I decided to see just how much fuel my air con uses. With air con on the car used 2.4 litres per 100km, with the air con off the car idled at around 1.7 or 1.8 . . . . . Overall not a huge difference. Personally i prefer the comfort, but i try not to use it when not neccessary. (these figures are from a ba 6cyl)

that can't be accurate anyway - you were idling and not moving so regardless of aircon on or off you're using infinate fuel to travel nowhere....

divide by zero even :P

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XT 6

ACT, Australia

Ya hitting the apex is a good one i find, it has saved me a couple of L/100km over a period.... (but probably wasted more fuel trying it out :lol: )

I reckon the accelerate up to the speed limit is better if you're on longer stretch of roads rather than city. Or at least it feels like you're using less fuel.

Also when driving downhill i tend to gently give it a bit more to pick up speed to get up over the next hilly bit, but time it so that you ease off the accelerator when going up the hill but still be at (or a bit over) the speed limit when you get over the hill. All depends on what the road is doing i suppose.

This is just what I have found by my own d**k around.

Quote:
Also, you may find it finincially beneficial to hire some immigrant chinese fellas to help push your car if for any reason you need anymore than to breath on the accelerator to make it move. At 10c/hour, you can use them 5 hours a day, 365 days a year, and it will cost you only $180!!!

Oh I dunno... us Asians are pretty skinny.... better off with some cheap Mexicans :D They're bigger.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:04 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XT 6

ACT, Australia

Quote:

Did you mean Litres per hour?

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: egas bf xt

NSW, Australia

jonnnnno wrote:
Quote:

Oh I dunno... us Asians are pretty skinny.... better off with some cheap Mexicans :D They're bigger.

Perhaps, but would they have the same reliabilty :D?

I can see through wooden doors.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:15 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XTS, BF Xr6 Turbo Ute

QLD, Australia

jonnnnno wrote:
Quote:

Did you mean Litres per hour?

Ok so after some scepticism from some for mods members I went out and di the experiment again . . . . . With air con off the idled at 1.7 or 1.8 litres per hour (my mistake in saying 100km) . . . with air con on the car fluctuated between 2.4 and 2.8 litres per hour however after taking a minute or so to settle the car finally rested on 2.1 litres per hour with air con on. Sorry for the mistake guys.

Ford Fan: Since 1987 - Born a Blue Oval Supporter!

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

madmax wrote:
Even with th AC off and the windows up you will not notice a huge saving in fuel consumption. We're not talking about the old piston compressors of the 70's here. New compressors are far more efficient, yes they do use a small amount of fuel to run, but its worth it to be comfortable.

As my dad says - if it's there, use it. if i need the AC on, i use it. i don't really notice any difference in fuel consumption and i only ever do stop - start stuff! i'm sure it's worth using it, much better than sweating it out like in the little ricers. i've been in my mums pulsar and HAD to turn the AC off to stop the car kicking back into 1st going up a hill.

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I don't see a diff in fuel consumption with or without AC, but I notice that driving with the windows down annoys the s**t outta me!

oh yeah re TAFE fees, they're so rooted. I got HECS at uni at ~ $20k plus amenities of ~ $200 a semester, it kills me!

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:21 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Till_Lind wrote:
Lol, awww, well what are more ways to save fuel? Besides the driving like a grandma bit.

Get one of those things called a HYCLONE. (It spins the air like a cyclone, resulting in better fuel/air mixture)...

Although i reckon they wouldn't do crap, A current Affair tested an AU falcon with a hyclone device fitted on a dyno and noticed no difference in fuel economy just a tad bit better exhaust emmisions....

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next