Fordmods Logo

airbag light flashing 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: airbag light flashing
Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2007 ford fairmont Ghia Mk II

NSW, Australia

Hi there everyone,I changed the steering rack on my EL ford with a refurbished one and since the change over my airbag light is flashing and the horn don't work and the same goes for cruise control,the only wire that I unplugged was on the steering rack,I don't know what has happened.Anybody out there in ford land can help me please :shock:

Post subject: Re: airbag light flashing
Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:19 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

did you remove or move your steering column? you may have damaged the clock spring or a connection to it. all the things you mention are connected to it.

I have a car.

Post subject: Re: airbag light flashing
Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:38 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
did you remove or move your steering column? you may have damaged the clock spring or a connection to it. all the things you mention are connected to it.

I was thinking the same.

When you removed the rack, did you keep the steering wheel steady and no one rotated it?

I think if you rotate the wheel 360 degrees clockwise (could be anti clockwise not 100% sure), you wind the clock spring past its safe point pretty much, so when you connect the shaft back onto the rack your steering wheel has already turned 360 degrees too far thus stretching/damaging the clock spring when you want to turn.

Before removing the rack, the wheels should be pointed straight and the steering wheel straight. Get a rope, tie it around the bottom of the steering wheel, put a brick or something heavy on the other end so that the steering wheel can't turn easily. Or just use a steering wheel lock.

Useless telling you that now, but from what you said, points to the clock spring. You'd need to get a new/second hand one unfortunately.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]