Fordmods Logo

airbox inlet mod, ~25% more cold flow for $0 - $15 

 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

 
 Post subject: Re: airbox inlet mod, 25% more cold flow for $0
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 42

Posts: 1343

Joined: 14th Dec 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

Location: seaspray
VIC, Australia

skidder wrote:
Also how is flow being measured? Remember cross sectional area is proportional to flow, but not equal.

One factor is, larger pipes have less surface area and thus less friction for their cross-sectional area. But i have already allowed for that given my hose is about two-thirds (or less) the length of the snorkel!

 

_________________

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: airbox inlet mod, 25% more cold flow for $0 - $15
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 3805

Joined: 22nd Apr 2007

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

Location: Wellington
New Zealand

Sounds good to me Relaxed brother. I know the effort you went to researching this, and think you've come across as gooder solution as practical really. I'd hate to bring it up again - but those snorkels DO restrict free flowing air to your intake proper.

The harmonic effect could possibly be helped by putting a spring in the middle of the new pipe so it sticks out into the air box a little. How you hold the spring there is up to you.

You know that the high flow panel filters actually allow more air through than a cheap pod anyway? Simply looking at the comparable surface areas of the two is an obvious starting point.

I was just about to throw out one of my EF snorkels, air boxes and complete air system today. I looked at it all and thought, NAH - I'll bloody well keep it. Although you've seen what I've done already (and it works bloody well) I feel I may just try a RAM AIR INDUCTION sometime in the future so have kept the bits of plastic that could be useful.

Good effort with the radiator hose. Maybe go a little fatter and stop harmonic issues?? Other things to check is that the airbox is screwed down tight and that nothing is hitting your bonnet. When the pipe and pod on mine hit the bonnet it sets off all sorts of noise at 2500 or above (or at Wide Open Throttle at any revs!)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: airbox inlet mod, 25% more cold flow for $0 - $15
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 1833

Joined: 3rd May 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

theres no linear measurement for a piece of hose it's like asking how long is a piece of string ? hence why half decent engine builders have flow benches.

it's like saying i've put a 2000000 cfm exhaust on my falcon and therefore it runs heaps better, we all know thats a load of shyte. it's about flow dynamics and volumetric efficiency.

i went through all the toying with air system mods with my ea & found (without testing) that my el twin tube duct and paper filter went pretty much just as hard as my 3" staino pipe & k&n pod i actually found more improvement from changing from the stock plastic to the 3" tube more-so than the k&n filter. the k&n filter (as much as i do love them) actually caused me more dramas than it was worth with over-oiling issues.

getting cold air in is more important than getting mass air in because square inch for square inch colder air is more dense providing more air charge so therefor a smaller pipe running colder air will produce better power than a 6 inch pipe breathing hot air.

 

_________________

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: airbox inlet mod, 25% more cold flow for $0 - $15
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 887

Joined: 8th Aug 2006

Ride: Falcon

Location: Central Highlands
QLD, Australia

From what I have found:- as soon as you cut another hole into the airbox tray you lose suction from the mouth of the snorkel. At idle stick your left hand down into the snorkel(EL GT or BA xr6) or just your fingers in stock snorkel. Now rev the motor at the throttle body and you will feel good strong air suction over your hand. Once you cut a small hole in the lower tray then try the same thing, you will lose nearly all of that suction effect.

 

_________________

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: airbox inlet mod, 25% more cold flow for $0 - $15
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 1833

Joined: 3rd May 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

well knowing that suction = resistance, the more suction at the stock snorkel represents more restriction & the v8 snorkel having less restriction per square mm requires more surface area to create the same suction effect, that in itself proving that the v8 snorkel (same shape bigger average internal diameter) does create less restriction. but theres far more variables than just the avg internal dia. when you change the shape and/or create more inlets/outlets hence the twin tube ef compared to the single predecessing models.

theres much more than just the size that counts ! It's how you use it. lol

 

_________________

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: airbox inlet mod, 25% more cold flow for $0
Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:53 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 2515

Joined: 27th Mar 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
Quote:
Also how is flow being measured? Remember cross sectional area is proportional to flow, but not equal.

Do you know the ratio?


To figure flow in cfm you need a flow bench, you could find a theoretical value but it is very difficult to take into account all the factors and not entirely accurate as everything from bends to inside finish and imperfections affects flow.

 

_________________

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: airbox inlet mod, 25% more cold flow for $0 - $15
Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 42

Posts: 1343

Joined: 14th Dec 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

Location: seaspray
VIC, Australia

fiend wrote:
The harmonic effect could possibly be helped by putting a spring in the middle of the new pipe so it sticks out into the air box a little. How you hold the spring there is up to you.

Can you please explain this further? I don't understand. For your knowledge the hose sticks into the airbox about 3".

Quote:
You know that the high flow panel filters actually allow more air through than a cheap pod anyway? Simply looking at the comparable surface areas of the two is an obvious starting point.

I reckon i would only get a pod if it suited what i physically wanted to do, and would only get a big one, but then the cost and noise may be an issue to me.


Quote:
I was just about to throw out one of my EF snorkels, air boxes and complete air system today. I looked at it all and thought, NAH - I'll bloody well keep it. Although you've seen what I've done already (and it works bloody well) I feel I may just try a RAM AIR INDUCTION sometime in the future so have kept the bits of plastic that could be useful.

Yes, keep eveything, unless you can sell it and really really need the money. You never know what you can use. I keep all manner of bits and pieces, and use them.

Quote:
Good effort with the radiator hose. Maybe go a little fatter and stop harmonic issues??

But then it won't fit through the hole above the chassis rail. The harmonic isn't a problem, most people wouldn't even notice it. I'm being fussy. I still intend to rotate the hose a tad to see if that makes a difference. If not other ideas may crop up.

Quote:
Other things to check is that the airbox is screwed down tight and that nothing is hitting your bonnet. When the pipe and pod on mine hit the bonnet it sets off all sorts of noise at 2500 or above (or at Wide Open Throttle at any revs!)

The only other thing i can think of is that my flextube was previously cut shorter to fit a mixer and so now is being stretched. But this wasn't a problem on the EB. My next mod will be to replace the crosspipe and flextube with some 80mmID or thereabouts reinforced rubber hose. More on this later.

 

_________________

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Last edited by relaxed_diplomacy on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: airbox inlet mod, 25% more cold flow for $0
Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 42

Posts: 1343

Joined: 14th Dec 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

Location: seaspray
VIC, Australia

skidder wrote:
relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
Quote:
Also how is flow being measured? Remember cross sectional area is proportional to flow, but not equal.

Do you know the ratio?


To figure flow in cfm you need a flow bench, you could find a theoretical value but it is very difficult to take into account all the factors and not entirely accurate as everything from bends to inside finish and imperfections affects flow.

Okay, good answer.

I am happy that, in all likelihood, the hose is making my airflow better.

 

_________________

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: airbox inlet mod, 25% more cold flow for $0 - $15
Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 42

Posts: 1343

Joined: 14th Dec 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

Location: seaspray
VIC, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
From what I have found:- as soon as you cut another hole into the airbox tray you lose suction from the mouth of the snorkel. At idle stick your left hand down into the snorkel(EL GT or BA xr6) or just your fingers in stock snorkel. Now rev the motor at the throttle body and you will feel good strong air suction over your hand. Once you cut a small hole in the lower tray then try the same thing, you will lose nearly all of that suction effect.

Low Ryda has already responded to this, but i add, that in my case both my airbox inlets suck cold air, so i'm happy whatever degree of air is sucked through each. If i placed my hand over my snorkel inlet, i would indeed get less suction because my other inlet would be getting air, indeed it would in that case be getting much more air. That's a basic function of having two inlets and its a good thing. It's what i want.


P.S. The digital camera needs to be ordered, so maybe a week from now, not sure.

 

_________________

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:05 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names