All torque.. No Go 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: All torque.. No Go
Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

QLD, Australia

This is more or less a follow up to this topic:

http://www.fordmods.com/gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/very-weird-gearbox-behaviour-t122312.html

But for those who don't like heavy reading material.. Basically my 97 EL Falcon/Futura has been playing up since i brought it. First jumping out of gears - Fluid topped with no change, So I changed the inhibitor switch with one from the wreckers.. no more jumping out of gears. Still sluggy I dropped the pan & changed the fluid, gasket, and filter in the Trans (TQ95) - No real change.

Then i fixed the rough idle - Cleaned throttle body, Icv, Changed all 6 plugs (but not the leads yet). Then Found that cylinder one on the intake manifold gasket had a leak. Replaced the gasket.. Not a job id wish on my worst enemy.

Now my remaining problems were the car has no go to it. (ex: If you stabbed the throttle the revs go up.. But the road speed wouldn't. Then Revs cut out (Still foot to floor) and the speed goes up slowly .. And it no longer matters how far through the firewall my foot is.) It also struggles to keep up to speed without constant reminder to.. Highways aren't so bad but getting to highway speeds is no fun.

When cold this is most obvious. If i reverse out the driveway, Put it in Drive and add throttle.. Someones it will hesitate so badly and i will drive away at like 10ks.. Till i get around the corner.

I took it to a trans guy.. Who said its fine and blames the TPS.. Was kinda hoping he was right but i brought a cheapie digital multimeter the other day and these are the readings i got:

With:
Negative probe in Black/White down bottom
Positive probe in the top Orange/Black
I had a consistent 5.0v

With Positive probe in middle wire i got 0.7-0.71v at closed throttle
Increased the throttle and it brought the reading to 4.17-4.20

Says in my book i should get more like 4.4-4.6 volts.. But this seems close enough.. Should i rule out the TPS?

Post subject: Re: All torque.. No Go
Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:57 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the tps is fine.. have you looked at simple things like fuel filter? air filter even a blocked catalytic converter can cause power loss and hesitation..

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

If it's hesitation, I could almost guarantee its your injectors. My dual fuel EL I used to have would hesitate on petrol but not on gas, which straight away meant it was most likely blocked injectors or fuel filter. My current ghia did it too, then I had the injectors reco'd and it was all good ;)

EL Ghia

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

EL Ghia

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:04 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Troyman wrote:
the tps is fine.. have you looked at simple things like fuel filter? air filter even a blocked catalytic converter can cause power loss and hesitation..

I have (in all my research) come across the idea of a blocked cat a few times now. But is there a good way i can test that theory? My gregorys tells me the sort of equipment needed is high end and expensive and go take it to a shop instead. Other people have suggested pressure gauge and drilling holes before and after the cat.. I don't think i have a gauge lying around but ill go get one and give it a go if its not such a silly idea.

Air filter looks pretty clean to me, Fuel filter or injectors seems to be getting a fair few votes and not what i would have ever expected. I'm guessing its not going to be just a matter of getting some injector cleaner.. But actually replacing them.. And I'm guessing there is no real way to test them either and its best to just replace all of them. I love fords but i payed a little too much for the things that need fixing i wasn't informed about. :evil:

Good thing I'm learning for next time anyway.

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:25 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: ford ef2 xr6

VIC, Australia

Blocked cat will usually cause engine to not rev out fully..rev car in neutral and see if it will rev out fully.You can also disconnect exhaust flange near cat and see if it makes any difference with it disconnected.

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

PM sent. I'm willing to have a look over it and see what I can rule out for you.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:05 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

brendanssound wrote:
Troyman wrote:

I have (in all my research) come across the idea of a blocked cat a few times now. But is there a good way i can test that theory? My gregorys tells me the sort of equipment needed is high end and expensive and go take it to a shop instead. Other people have suggested pressure gauge and drilling holes before and after the cat.. I don't think i have a gauge lying around but ill go get one and give it a go if its not such a silly idea.

Air filter looks pretty clean to me, Fuel filter or injectors seems to be getting a fair few votes and not what i would have ever expected. I'm guessing its not going to be just a matter of getting some injector cleaner.. But actually replacing them.. And I'm guessing there is no real way to test them either and its best to just replace all of them. I love fords but i payed a little too much for the things that need fixing i wasn't informed about. :evil:

Good thing I'm learning for next time anyway.

what about the fuel filter?

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:30 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Going to have a good look at it soon Troyman. Thanks for the idea.. Will let you all know how i went.. Going to see if i can find time today to take up 67RCE's offer to get my car scanned. How good are all you fellas trying to help me out

You'll have to forgive me 67RCE.. my car is yet to have a wash and get tidied up. I made a deal with it when it started playing up.. No behaving itself = No wash.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]