Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: ALTERNATOR HELP
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

just curious if an alternator off of a el ef falcon will bolt up to a eb ed motor if you change the pully? ive got a multi groove pully on mine so if i got a el serp belt type and changed the pully to the multigroove one for the ed would it still work?

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Post subject: Re: ALTERNATOR HELP
Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I have a EF 110amp alternator bolted into my EB, but it didn't bolt straight in. It required the following to be done.

# Grind the top mounting bracket down a bit
# Grind the alternator case fins down a bit
# Tap a thread & then fit a m10 thread insert into the top bolt hole with locktite
# Wait for the locktite to dry
# Change the pulley to suit your belt setup (optional - i haven't yet)
# Fit to car.

I can adjust the EF alternator just how ford intended it to be adjusted in my EB after all that work. Was it worth it? If you upgrade to thermo fans, have a stereo & more lighting or higher wattage globes, yes it will be worth it.

EF alternator into EB

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

cheers for that torana guy now all i need id a el/ef alternator haha

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EDXR6-Poly wrote:
cheers for that torana guy now all i need id a el/ef alternator haha

Your welcome dude. Don't forget the thread insert part of the job, do you have the tools to do that?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Nope lol but i have a mechanic as a mate that might be able to help me out with that part or i was just going to put a smaller bolt through the mddle and put a nut on the back of it ?

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EDXR6-Poly wrote:
Nope lol but i have a mechanic as a mate that might be able to help me out with that part or i was just going to put a smaller bolt through the mddle and put a nut on the back of it ?

You could do that, but you will have more trouble adjusting the belt when it is required.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:35 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

The EB XR8 I have had the alternator failing in that it was fluctuating but I got a 2nd hand EF Fairmont Ghia Mitsu 110amp one to replace the Motorcrap one - all by a Toowoomba Auto sparkie. The only thing they had to change was the plug from a 3 pin to a 2 pin one as I removed the back bracket when I took the alternator(the EB bracket has the angled piece to the exhaust manifold out by 90 degs). No grinding/threading/loctiting at all and I have got a constant 14.1V instead of the 12.5-14.8 rubbish with the old alternator. As a matter of course I also replaced the coil and the dizzy cap and rotor too

I recommend do it and pay the shop $100 to do it for you - rubbish the Motorcraft one as they cant be repaired(well permanently anyway and Fraud want $1200 for a replacement!!)

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:
The EB XR8 I have had the alternator failing in that it was fluctuating but I got a 2nd hand EF Fairmont Ghia Mitsu 110amp one to replace the Motorcrap one - all by a Toowoomba Auto sparkie. The only thing they had to change was the plug from a 3 pin to a 2 pin one as I removed the back bracket when I took the alternator(the EB bracket has the angled piece to the exhaust manifold out by 90 degs). No grinding/threading/loctiting at all and I have got a constant 14.1V instead of the 12.5-14.8 rubbish with the old alternator. As a matter of course I also replaced the coil and the dizzy cap and rotor too

I recommend do it and pay the shop $100 to do it for you - rubbish the Motorcraft one as they cant be repaired(well permanently anyway and Fraud want $1200 for a replacement!!)

Your probably right, on a V8 it looks like you wouldn't have to do any grinding, threading or loctiting (I have 2 Xr8 EB's as well) but on a 6cyl if you want to retain the EB belt setup & tension the belt like factory instructions you will need to! If you don't wan't to grind, thread & loctite you would need to either use a bodge bolt & nut setup which will make it much harder to adjust the belt to correct tension OR change to the >EF serpentine belt setup, changing all your accessories as well.

Interesting info in regards to the V8 tho, i've now got 2 Xr8's here, alternators are fine but i know they are way overpriced to replace, I will be keeping the idea of modding a EF 6cyl item to fit in the back of my mind.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]