Fordmods Logo

Alternator On Its Way Out ?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Alternator On Its Way Out ??
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

Been Enjoying My Car Lately Its Filled Me With Bills :(
but bad times and good times occur and having replaced almost nothing until now im quite happy still

now my cars cold start problem is still a head scratcher (looses power for a few seconds while taking off) now that its starting to happen when its even warm it came to my mind could it be the alternator giving just enough power to keep the ability to start the car but not enough to run the car properly after starting ??

went and bought a multimeter just for this (more money)
tested the battery gives out 12.96V sitting there
started the car it goes up to 14.06V (kinda low)
but i thought could be just because the battery is low on power so i let it idle there and charge the battery and the volts went DOWN!! to 13.92V (very low)
i also heard that if you rev the car the volts should climb...it doesnt even move if anything it falls

now to answer the question yes the car was sitting there with no light and no stereo etc

the battery is currently hooked up to a slow battery charger and it rates the battery as pretty much flat so when i take off this arvy to pick up my little sis from school and it doesnt do the cold start issue ill know but i thought i should get your opinions on the voltages ive been told 14.5V is about were it should be sitting their in idle

just got back still done the cold start problem :(

but are those voltages to low for the alternator ?

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Post subject: Re: Alternator On Its Way Out ??
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

I could swear mine charges 16 at idle and when I rev it doesnt change, havent checked it in a while

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:50 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

Mine sits on 14V (on the cluster gauge), haven't had in problems. i thought it was meant to be 14v or slighly over.

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

the dash gauge says the same as everyone elses but im getting completly different readings out of a multimeter

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

how olds your battery. n if u have another battery that you know is 100% ok, try it out and see if it still plays up

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

ive actually just recently replaced the battery

i managed to get some time to talk to a mate who is a mechanic and told him whats it doing and he said straight up ignition leads...ive got some eagle eliminators series I 9.0M on order just waiting for them to arrive ive also got new spark plugs as well i also told him how the ignition leads currently on there have melted to the spark plug and he said thats a sign of not being fitted properly and that they are cheap and they are hell old

i dont think they genuine top guns on there as they only have s**t fibres in them as one of them broke when i tried to remove it and it was melted to the spark plug no spiral core or anything just fibres as they are supposedly 8.0MM topgun performance leads they are meant to have spiral cores

Edit:

The New Ignition leads arrived today finally and i believe they have resolved the cold start problem :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]