Alternator problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Alternator problem
Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 Au Ford Falcon Ute

QLD, Australia

Hey all,

I was driving along and my radio, dash lights kept on coming on and off.. then at the set of lights i tried to put my windows up just incase i couldnt later and it stalled the car..... couldnt start it.. it seemed the battery was dead but my lights were still on bright not dull like you would think.. later on i got it jumped started.. and drove it home that arvo.. but when i checked my battery while the car was running and it was only showing 11volts at most... so the alternator wasn't charging my battery but i drove it around a little bit more but not running the battery dry? so my alternator must be working at some stage? also my battery light doesnt show up...

I have now since replaced the alternator and everything seems fine havent checked it with a meter yet..

What could be wrong with my old alternator? it was all oily and dirty when i pulled it out..

Phil.

Post subject: Re: Alternator problem
Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:06 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Philchars wrote:
Hey all,

I was driving along and my radio, dash lights kept on coming on and off.. then at the set of lights i tried to put my windows up just incase i couldnt later and it stalled the car..... couldnt start it.. it seemed the battery was dead but my lights were still on bright not dull like you would think.. later on i got it jumped started.. and drove it home that arvo.. but when i checked my battery while the car was running and it was only showing 11volts at most... so the alternator wasn't charging my battery but i drove it around a little bit more but not running the battery dry? so my alternator must be working at some stage? also my battery light doesnt show up...

I have now since replaced the alternator and everything seems fine havent checked it with a meter yet..

What could be wrong with my old alternator? it was all oily and dirty when i pulled it out..

Phil.

Check for power steering leaks, as it is common for power steering oil too drip down at the back of the pump and kill the alternator...

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:29 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED Futura Classic & EF Futura SW

VIC, Australia

EL___Fairmont wrote:
Philchars wrote:
Hey all,

Phil.

Check for power steering leaks, as it is common for power steering oil too drip down at the back of the pump and kill the alternator...

He is right. 905 of the time in a ford i6 its the PS fluid. f**k the regs. replace the reg and ya old one will be as good as gold

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:36 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 Au Ford Falcon Ute

QLD, Australia

What can you use to clean the alternator? And how do I replace the Regulator? if that is what you mention as Reg..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]