Another Camshaft thread 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Another Camshaft thread
Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR6

SA, Australia

Well...
I think we have all beaten this topic to death. I know I have, and have heard differing peoples opinions and experiences on differernt cam types (grind, specifications,makes, models, etc.) and have contributed my own as well.
In the fuel and ecu forum, there is a sticky concerning reviews and synopsis (right word?) of ECU's. Was great to read and I found it very usefull.
Why not one for Cam types?

ps. I have a series one EF XR6, with paccie extractors, redback exhaust and wade 1604 fitted (with veneir gear). Want to move to bigger cam. What are my choices? I am leaning towards a dev 3HL, as it produces good power and runs with a stock auto ECU.
Idealy in a few months I would go on holiday to melbourne and get the dev 3 HL fitted (minus, exhaust system and gears) but is $1500 justifiable for a cam and leads upgrade?

Not lost any demerit points

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

i paid $416 (got a new one) for my 1636 wade cam and its awsome

Post subject: Re: Another Camshaft thread
Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

drazull wrote:
Well...
I think we have all beaten this topic to death. I know I have, and have heard differing peoples opinions and experiences on differernt cam types (grind, specifications,makes, models, etc.) and have contributed my own as well.
In the fuel and ecu forum, there is a sticky concerning reviews and synopsis (right word?) of ECU's. Was great to read and I found it very usefull.
Why not one for Cam types?

ps. I have a series one EF XR6, with paccie extractors, redback exhaust and wade 1604 fitted (with veneir gear). Want to move to bigger cam. What are my choices? I am leaning towards a dev 3HL, as it produces good power and runs with a stock auto ECU.
Idealy in a few months I would go on holiday to melbourne and get the dev 3 HL fitted (minus, exhaust system and gears) but is $1500 justifiable for a cam and leads upgrade?

i tried to do the same thing for the cams a while back. the problem is, not all specs are available to the public. and most of the specs are not comparable. ie: some specs are listed using 50 thou lift timmings some use 75 thou lift timmings and some use seat timmings.

a quick run down of them all is to say that the cams from crow and wade that will run on the stock ecu are all very mild cams. the larger cams from both that will give worthwhile gains need some form of aftermarket ecu.

can give any info on the JMM ones as he does not give out his specs at all.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR6

SA, Australia

There are some 'wild' cams which run on the ford EEC-V's. The dev 3 for example. I think someone ran the 1536 on a standard ecu.

Whilst you cant compare cam specs (cause there not avaliable) I think a thread detailing cam selection for different setups and models would be worthwhile.

Not lost any demerit points

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

the dev3 is by no means a wild cam at all.

yeah some one did have a 1521a running with a stock ecu but it wouldn't idle at all.

the 1521a comparable to the crowcams '2222543'

the 1521a has a duration of 217 has lift of .524 on both valves and timming of 69/25 22/72

the '2222543' has a duration of 272 269 has lift of .500 .485 timming of 70/18 24/68
crow state power from 1800 to 5500

from reports the wade 1521a has a very similar power band.

both of these cams need a tunnable ECU to run properly.
and are the very minimum apgrade that i personly would ever consider using. any thing smaller just doesn't make power where i want it.

crows '2222546' has a duration of 290 lift of .525 and timming of IN.35/75
EX.75/35
it makes power between 3000 and 6000RPM
7333-12 Double Vale Springs need to be used.

i'm considering using this cam in my new engine, I may also talk to crow about having a larger custom cam ground for me as i'm looking for more RPM then that. i'd like it to pull well to 6500 at least 6800 would be better.

i've driven a number of cars fitted with smaller crow and wade cams and found them to be very lacking and disapointing to drive.

the three listed cams would be the only ones worth using unless you are chasing some thing more to towing a large trailer. in wich case you should have bought a V8 or large diesel.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

i have profiles for DEV3

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

altedxr6 wrote:
i have profiles for DEV3

want to PM them to me???? please

Sort by