Fordmods Logo

another ED smartlock issue...maybe? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: another ED smartlock issue...maybe?
Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:22 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Falcon

NSW, Australia

hey all.

It pains me to bring up yet another possible smartlock/BCM issue as there is soooo much info already available however, I havnt been able to find a solution to what is going on using the usual remidies.

Heres a quick run down of what the car is doing and what ive done to try and figure out the issue:

First of all, its an ED fairlane 4spd Auto, completely stock. ('cept wheels and lowered :roll: )

There is no spark at the plugs (new plugs, coil, leads, dizzy and dizzy cap)
No fuel comming from disconnected injectors when car is cranking, but fuel pump is working.
Bridging the connection between the two red w/blue trace wires to override the starter cutout at the BCM does nothing.
Smartlock light/jewel does not light at all in the dash cluster. (No flashing at all)
Removed the smartlock light assembly from the back of the cluster tested wires, There is power but no earth? ie. a test light wont light when the two wires are shorted. Smartlock light lights up constant red when earth is added to the earth wire but still wont fire.
Have tried a second BCM (red) with no change.
Replaced ECU
Replaced Relays with Green and Brown plugs under the overflow.
Interior light and interior light fuse all working.
Keypad wont work but i can see the light working.
Leaving it on "ON" for 30-45mins dosnt cycle the reprogram, and turning to accesories and hitting the boot open switch dosnt enter learn mode either.
Hitting the dash where the BCM is does nothing.

As you can see ive tried just about all the tricks, pretty much replaced everything!! with no results, im hoping someone here can maybe suggest something i have overlooked?

Also, not to sure, but when the car is in the "ON" position, i can get power at the positive side of the plug to the coil, but again, when i bridge both sides of the plug i get no light on the test light...is this normal?

Thanks for any help you can give me guys.

LaNeR

Post subject: Re: another ED smartlock issue...maybe?
Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hi.

Sounds like you are having a frustrating time.

Another component of the Smartlock System is the Ignition Barrel. It may be faulty. You could try swapping it out for another one. You can swap in your Key Barrel easily. The replacement Ignition Barrel would need to have a key with it so you can remove the Key Barrel.

Do you know if the Dash has been pulled out at all? It may be possible that some wiring is not connected or has been damaged etc.

When you turn the key, does the car crank or does it do nothing at all?

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I bought the car a while back with problems and have only just gotten around to looking at it because of other projects i had going....so it isnt THAT frustrating.... YET :lol:

I Sorta' keep looking at that barrel and scratching my head and thinking it might be the prob. I removed it yesterday to better look at the wiring and ive read a fair bit about it, however there isnt much info on how to actually dissasemble the barrel to gain access to the PCB inside and in past experiences key barrels are pretty sensitive things. (add electronics to the equasion and id hate to think about it lol) If you know the procedure, feel free to email/pm me, i like to be well informed before starting a new process.
Ive had a good look at this:
documents.php?d=83
wonder if this is 100% do-able?
I wouldn't think that the dash has been removed, but ive checked all plugs in the dash, they all appear to connect well when continuity tested.
Car cranks over fine when key is turned, it just wont actually fire due to no spark.

Thanks
LaNeR

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

......also, if the key barrel was cuctus, would it stop the smartlock light from flashing, or would it give a fault and start flashing faster? From my understanding, if the smartlock dosnt get the OK from the barrel it will show a fault by flashing faster and immobilise the car... not stop the LED from flashing altogether.. A problem even with the OEM key should simulate an unauthorised key and give a faster flash? is that how it works?
I have an EL ex chaser, and when the key is out, the smartlock LED is flashing like a champion, when the car goes on, the light turns off.
The ED Smartlock light dosnt come on with ignition on OR off.
Why couldnt this just be a blown fuse or bulb?! lol

Thanks
LaNeR

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

replaced igniton barrel...still the same problem, I was told by a mate of the guy i bought it off that it worked up untill when he jump started it (yes! aparently ppl still do that incorrectly) Maybe that might shed some light?

Thanks
LaNeR

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]