Fordmods Logo

Any Gains with adjusting stock EF 6cyl cam? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
i advanced the stock cam 2 degrees and it goes great, but mind you at "0" degrees the cam gear mark sat 5mm above the head, like i mentioned... now it sits 3mm above.

Power kicks in sharply at 2300rpm, does that sound right for a stocko?

Tell you what though, it feels almost as good as when i had the 1636 fitted and it made 138kw with that, i wouldnt be surpised if it made 130rwkw with this stocko, is that possible?

You would have retarded the cam not advanced the cam.

Try adding 1 more degree of half a mark on the rollmaster vernier.

Retard the cam and advance the ignition timing to gain power both about 2 to 3 degrees

Of course you cant do the ignition with the EF.

dont worry too much about how far above the head the mark has moved, this could be due to timing chain stretch, tensioner wear, actual tension on chain etc, the chain alignment is with perfect conditions like new chain, tensioner etc.

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

opto wrote:

You would have retarded the cam not advanced the cam.

yeah sorry, i did advance the cam, but i meant the inside mark with a straight edge put against is now 3mm above the head

Quote:
Retard the cam and advance the ignition timing to gain power both about 2 to 3 degrees

so retarding the cam for more top end and advancing ignition is the way for more power i take it. That sucks cause i got coilpack. I did also try 3 degrees retarded when i intially fitted it cause thats the position my old 977b was dialed in, but it seems to go alot better at 2 degrees advanced i found

Quote:
dont worry too much about how far above the head the mark has moved, this could be due to timing chain stretch, tensioner wear, actual tension on chain etc, the chain alignment is with perfect conditions like new chain, tensioner etc.

thats the funny thing, all timing gear is new, thats when it threw out the cam gear mark. Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2