ANY GOOD POWER GAINS WITH A 20% UNDER PULLY 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: ANY GOOD POWER GAINS WITH A 20% UNDER PULLY
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ford ba fairmont

QLD, Australia

hi i have a 6cly ford ba fairmont have spent about $5000 on perfomance parts but thinking of geting a 20% pully any one please let me know how they when with power gains?are they worth getting? ect

Post subject: Re: ANY GOOD POWER GAINS WITH A 20% UNDER PULLY
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1991 Ford Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

i wouldn't have a clue man but what mods have you done with 5 g? must've got a decent power increase with that much spent even judging from the seat of ya pants

Build Thread - More of a mismatch of parts :P the-garage-f53/seftons-ea-t106586.html

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

hay mate got extractors,race cat, one lukey muffler,2 1/2inch exhaust,C.A.I ,hypo flow,K&N,4:11 LSD,2800 convter and all blue hoses and belt, got a NOS kit ready to go in as soon as get the time :D :D :D :D :D :D

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

yea underdrives are great. not so much power gains but frees up power previosly dragged down by the other stuff on the drive belt.
im assuming you have had it custom tuned as you have done everythin else.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

na not yet mate no tune and never had on dyno

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

more gains to be had by flash tuning over the underdrives, moneys better spent on the tune first

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:29 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Bionic BA MkII XR6

Power: 175 rwkw

WA, Australia

I've had it done but had in done in conjunction with a better tune job that what I had before so I can't say how much was attributable to the underdrive alone.

BIONIC 2005 BA Mk2 XR6 - XR8 Snorkle - Typhoon 2nd CAI - K & N Panel Filter - polished BBM intake - polished ceramic coated Pacemaker 4490 headers - Magnaflow 3.5" high flow Cat - Full mandrel stainless exh syst - 4speed SSS -BPT Custom tune - 20% UDrive - XR8 Calipers/rotors - 175 rwkw

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:31 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

how much is a tune worth

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

Quote:
how much is a tune worth

depends, this is a very rough price listing from what Ive found in NSW.

just the boxes
sniper $550 (1 generic tune)
xcal3 $700 (blank) ($800 with 3 generic tunes, valet, 95RON, 98RON)

custom tune
$400-$900 (using a box that you have already purchased)
$1000 (with out a box)

most falcon owners go for Xcal3 as they seem to be the most popular unit used by tuners and have better customer service then sniper. Do tuning after you've done all your mods, as it ties them all together.

p.s. this is a personal question, while where on the topic of under drivers & tuning, im getting my car tuned soon, but may look at buying under drivers in the future, will this knock out my tune? the tune is going to be a "custom generic" (generic tune to suit the mods the car has).

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

winman wrote:
Quote:
how much is a tune worth

depends, this is a very rough price listing from what Ive found in NSW.

just the boxes
sniper $550 (1 generic tune)
xcal3 $700 (blank) ($800 with 3 generic tunes, valet, 95RON, 98RON)

custom tune
$400-$900 (using a box that you have already purchased)
$1000 (with out a box)

most falcon owners go for Xcal3 as they seem to be the most popular unit used by tuners and have better customer service then sniper. Do tuning after you've done all your mods, as it ties them all together.

p.s. this is a personal question, while where on the topic of under drivers & tuning, im getting my car tuned soon, but may look at buying under drivers in the future, will this knock out my tune? the tune is going to be a "custom generic" (generic tune to suit the mods the car has).

mate i would say as te underdrives do nothin to aid either air flow or spark(advance or retard) or fuel or anythin like that. all it does is make the driveline drag less. so i rekon it would have no effect if done before or after a tune.

while on topic of tune which would be better sniper or xcal3? and considering xcal3 will be $400 more would it be worth it?

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
mate i would say as te underdrives do nothin to aid either air flow or spark(advance or retard) or fuel or anythin like that. all it does is make the driveline drag less. so i rekon it would have no effect if done before or after a tune.

while on topic of tune which would be better sniper or xcal3? and considering xcal3 will be $400 more would it be worth it?

though so. as for sniper unless your in WA you'll have a b**ch of a time finding a decent tuner to custom tune it (very few shops in nsw do sniper tuning), ive also heard from other guys on hear the sniper customer service is shockingly bad. im getting a xcal for my car hopefully with in a couple of weeks.
when it comes to performance output its down to the tuner not the device.
also sniper is locked to your car, you can use the same box on additional cars but it will cost you about 200-300 to buy extra "bullets". i prefer the xcal method, as if my next car is a falcon ill just flash my car back to standard and keep ahold of the box.
hope this helps
EDIT: just saw that you live in WA, give BPT a call and see what he can do. i think hes a sponsor of this forum or AFF.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

mmmm damn the decision making. lol.

yea alredy spoke to bpt and seems ok but its a toss up between xfp and bpt.. lol.
ive heard a few people not happy with bpt but id like to know what it is that has them unhappy. as ive seen people kick up a massive fuken stink over pickles on a burger. :roll: :lol:

230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: Ford Falcon FG F6

WA, Australia

Well with my experience when I did get my underdrives I did notice a better throttle response, which in respect gave me more performance but not sure about power. But I would put
them on before a custom tune as any performance mod or bolt on power will work more in harmony with other mods if its tuned.

I went to BPT and got a generic custom tune. I was very dissapointed in my tune as I didnt feel anything what so ever. I did start noticing a little more power in the upper rev range about a week or two later for some reason. But still very unhappy!!! So I paid the difference for a custom tune and I definiately notice an instant power increase immediatly!! But this is the weird part. I didnt gain any RWKW from the custom due to the fact that I already had the generic but it seemed like the custom was more suited to the car as I noticed more power through the whole rev range and the gear shifting was alot more smoother and instant than before. BPT told me that the "generic gave me the max RWKW but the generic wasnt suited to your car as your shifting and lower rev range wasnt affected as every car is different, so one tune can work very well for one car but doesnt mean it will do the same for the other" which I have to agree with them as the car absolutely flys now!!!! My advise is go for custom every time dont waste your money like I did or atleast almost did as they let me pay for the difference.
Fyi- I decided to get a sniper tune straight to the ecu as I decided not to buy the box and figured I wouldnt want to change it to stock so I saved about $500 (how many times do you want to flash your car to stock settings as the custom tune is better for petrol and performance, depending on how you drive)

08 FG F6 #326. 4" Xforce exhaust turbo back with mid muffler delete, 1000cc injectors, 20% Underdrives, Stage 2 intercooler and piping, Stage 2 gear box, Upgraded flex plate, upgraded transcooler, upgraded fuel pump, Streetfighter air intake, cooler thermostate, SCT tune at 20psi at 406rwkw

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
id like to know what it is that has them unhappy. as ive seen people kick up a massive fuken stink over pickles on a burger

damn them bloody pickles :lol:

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]