Fordmods Logo

Anyone know about RPD cams? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Anyone know about RPD cams?
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

Hi All,

Just got my first E Series, its an EF GLI. I think most of you might have seen it as the previous owner was a Fordmods member (and the sticker still on the car).
Anyway, I was told it had an RPD R6 Cam. Can anyone give me some info on this cam?? Is it any good? Full Profiles?
Other mods include Pacemaker headers, 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust, lowered with kings & kyb's, XR Intake & K&N Filter, 17" BA XR Rims.

Any ideas on how much power I should be getting out of this?

Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments:
EF RHS.JPG
EF RHS.JPG [ 240.35 KiB | Viewed 118 times ]

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FPV BF MKII F6

QLD, Australia

the RPD cams were the s**t until they stopped making them. depending on whether its auto or manual (most likely auto) u should be getting late 130's - early 140rwkw or so. this is what ive heard. will obviously more with a manual conversion.

the next thing you can start doing is looking whether u want to spend another 10k on it cause there are not many things more you can do unless supercharger/turbo. in saying that you could upgrade your handling and stopping package. slotted rotors and good pads are a worthwhile option.

read the sticky at the top of the 6 cyl forum for anything else that might be done

OBS35N is gooonnnneeee.
Gone for good..... Damn fence posts!!!!!

OBS35N #2 (XXF6XX) just bought, bring it on

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: ed fairmont ghia, ed gli

VIC, Australia

welcome to fordmods, as OBS35N said, the R6 was the s**t to have for the autos without goin for a stall to help ya get into the rev range.. and apparently the R6's had a real nice whistle to them when you gave it to it

I LOVE MY DOG

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:08 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

VIC, Australia

th r6 was the tourqier version of the r3 (better for autos) from mem,

rpd make good cams, when set up properly... :)

as for your power idd make a guess of 130's (rwkw)

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

did u buy this car from sydney? cambeltown to be exact?

i remember this car doing 115rwkw with the cam in at the last dyno day.. well its the same colour car and same wheels..

go some Crescent Motorspos work dude.. its got the proven results.. and plus Joe is a sponsor on fordmods

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:13 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

OBS35NCheers! It is auto but not looking for huge power. 140-150rwkw is all im after as its a daily driver. Already has slotted fronts and decent pads all round. Sway bar is next for handling.

adrian` Thanks mate! I do find it is really boggy until 2100-200rpm then kicks in. Does having Vernier Gears Help? And yeah there is a whistle type noise but not sure if I like it as it is more of a sucking sound at the headers. really weird noise (and yes I have checked the manifold is tight.)

ReGiE I bought it from a guy in melb, who picked it up in NSW in November last year. So probly the same car.

Thanks for the info guys... Any recommendations on whether its worth changing over for a Wade??

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

izedso wrote:
It is auto but not looking for huge power. 140-150rwkw is all im after as its a daily driver.

For an auto BTR box, 150rwkw is around 220kw at the flywheel. Considering the stock EF was 157kw @ flywheel, thats is a huge increase in power and your gonna need more than a cam and exhaust to hit that figure.

Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

the r6 was similar to thr r3 but had more torque at lower revs, that why it was more suited to the auto. makes power from 2500-rev limiter. dyno results wernt impressive, i remember a member who only gained 8rwkw from it. but i herd alot of good feedback about its midrange torque.
if i were you next mods wont be in the motor but more in the driveline, lsd and higher ratio diff gears to go through the revs quicker. im supposing its allready got exhaust, extactors, and filter.

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 Futura

NSW, Australia

My daughter gets around 150 kw out of her XG XR6 5 speed with an R3 cam my ef had one but motors out at the moment and never had it dynoed but it wasan auto and found it was slow off the mark but when it was one did it go.

In Henry I Trust

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

HI guys,
Your right, it has nothing below 2100rpm, but after that it pulls hard. Yep, exhaust, extractors and panel filter done. Gonna try a pod setup from a mates car and see how it goes. Yup, next inline is an LSD with better ratio (any suggestions?, its a daily driver so nothing too crazy) and tossing up wether to stay lazy and keep the auto and just shift kit it or go for a T5 conversion.

Does anyone here organize mass dyno days in Melbourne?

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

ACT, Australia

3:45:1 LSD, thats what im getting put in min about a week from now, drivien a couple with this in it too, good to drive,

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

izedso wrote:
HI guys,
Your right, it has nothing below 2100rpm, but after that it pulls hard. Yep, exhaust, extractors and panel filter done. Gonna try a pod setup from a mates car and see how it goes. Yup, next inline is an LSD with better ratio (any suggestions?, its a daily driver so nothing too crazy) and tossing up wether to stay lazy and keep the auto and just shift kit it or go for a T5 conversion.

Does anyone here organize mass dyno days in Melbourne?

Main question about diff gears, do you do many highway miles? if yes, 3.45 gears, if no, then you could probably get away with 3.7/3.9 gears

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:28 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

a 3:45 diff would be ok, but a manual is just sooo damn fun to drive.

for dyno thing, go to the Victoria cruise section, theres a dyno day on next month

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

izedso wrote:
HI guys,

cam + auto + 3.08 = seriously crappy take offs, ild say get a 3.7lsd or even 3.9 to get the max potential out of your cam. if you do heaps of free way driving km then go 3.45.
you might think that they are too high but i got a ef(3.08) and my au(3.45) and the diffrence is minimal. thats why ild say go 3.7 or higher

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Cheers Guys!! All the info is great. Thanks for your help.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]